NU redshirt Ben Cotton ticketed for MIP, Disturbing the Peace

Published Saturday February 28, 2009

Football: NU redshirt Ben Cotton ticketed for MIP, disturbing the peace

LINCOLN – Husker redshirt freshman Ben Cotton, son of offensive line coach Barney Cotton, was ticketed for minor consumption and disturbing the peace after his involvement in a verbal dispute at a UNL dormitory early this morning.

Police responded to an argument inside Smith Hall between a resident and Cotton around 2:30 a.m. today, according to UNL police spokesman Carl Oestmann.

The 19-year-old tight end was found to have a blood-alcohol level of .085, according to an online incident report.

Cotton was cooperative and was subsequently cited and released, Oestmann said. But Cotton was also cited for trespassing, since he did not reside in Smith Hall.

Coach Bo Pelini said through a Nebraska spokesman this afternoon that he is aware of the situation and Cotton will be disciplined internally.

Cotton, an Ames High School standout, was listed as the No. 2 prospect in the state of Iowa by both rivals.com and scout.com, but he redshirted in his first season with the Huskers last year.

- Jon Nyatawa

LINK

I did a search and didn't spot anything about this, so I apologize if it was already discussed/posted

I'm sure his discipline won't be too harsh (from Bo's side) because of his cooperativeness and the fact that it's alcohol and nothing worse. He should know better though considering his father is a coach and he's got a full ride scholarship. Hell, if you are just a regular student drinking who gives a flying you know what, because everybody does it. But when your tuition is getting paid to play football and your father is a coach, you should be sticking out of trouble.

I'm sure his discipline won't be too harsh (from Bo's side) because of his cooperativeness and the fact that it's alcohol and nothing worse. He should know better though considering his father is a coach and he's got a full ride scholarship. Hell, if you are just a regular student drinking who gives a flying you know what, because everybody does it. But when your tuition is getting paid to play football and your father is a coach, you should be sticking out of trouble.

I wonder....

Since Dad is "Faculty" doesn't he get free tuition anyway?

Seems like a waste to have him taking up a scholarship if that's the case.

What's 0.085? about 6-8 beers? must've only been drinking since 11pm..