Blackshirts

I don't see them being handed out during the season again. Last year it made sense, because he felt they hadn't earned them, but Pelini can't keep holding them until a couple games into the season every year, it totally breaks with tradition. I say hand em out and if guys are playing poorly then give the blackshirt to somebody who wants it more.

I don't see them being handed out during the season again. Last year it made sense, because he felt they hadn't earned them, but Pelini can't keep holding them until a couple games into the season every year, it totally breaks with tradition. I say hand em out and if guys are playing poorly then give the blackshirt to somebody who wants it more.

:yeah

I can't see waiting for, like some one else said, the V.Tech game, and have the Blackshirts get their heads handed to them, in a tough road game right after getting them. Then what does Bo do, yank them back? Give them out to start the season, like it was done before, these kids know what Bo expects from them now. They understand he will pull them if they let up, that alone should keep them motivated for the season. JMO

GBR!!!

I think he will wait till the season is underway again, and I'm ok with that. When Bo is happy with the defense's performance and effort they'll find them in their lockers. Although it changes the tradition somewhat it makes it seem more important to me. (as in they don't receive them until they earn them on the field.)

I think he will wait till the season is underway again, and I'm ok with that. When Bo is happy with the defense's performance and effort they'll find them in their lockers. Although it changes the tradition somewhat it makes it seem more important to me. (as in they don't receive them until they earn them on the field.)

If that defense plays like REAL blackshirts, then they will win the north!

Does Bo wait till a few games in and use the blackshirts as an incentive again? Or do they get them before the first game? What do you think?

I'm guessing it plays out like last year but hopefully they earn them a little earlier in the season!

they'll get them when they earn them. and the players will only keep them if they deserve them.

that's how bo rolls, yo.

To paraphrase the great Happy Gilmore:

"Blackshirts, redshirts who gives a sh#t"

They will get them when they get them, I understand it is a tradition but it was pretty much ruined by Craig Bohl when the 2nd string holder got one.

Let Bo handle it......

I'm not worried or concerned in any way. I'm just curious to see what angle Bo uses. Sorry if it came off like I was upset over it. That was not my intention.

It's the off season and the weather isn't nice enough to spend a lot of time outdoors yet. What else am I supposed to do? :)

Well, just as a possible counter-point - one thing Bo has to establish is the tradition of the team enforcing the standards in terms of effort. That was one of the key ingrediants of the "old" Blackshirts, after all - if you didn't give full effort all the time, someone was going to get in your face about it. What Bo may be doing - assuming that he doesn't hand them out at the beginning of the year - is trying to get the team back to that standard. Once it's achieved - once it becomes part of the fabric of the team and the defense - he can afford to hand them out at the beginning of season, secure in the knowledge that whomever gets them will maintain the level needed to earn them, because if they don't, the other Blackshirts will help enforce the standards.

To paraphrase the great Happy Gilmore:

"Blackshirts, redshirts who gives a sh#t"

They will get them when they get them, I understand it is a tradition but it was pretty much ruined by Craig Bohl when the 2nd string holder got one.

Let Bo handle it......

I'm not worried or concerned in any way. I'm just curious to see what angle Bo uses. Sorry if it came off like I was upset over it. That was not my intention.

It's the off season and the weather isn't nice enough to spend a lot of time outdoors yet. What else am I supposed to do? :)

good point....sorry if I came off as an a-hole!!!

If that defense plays like REAL blackshirts, then they will win the north!

:yeah

If they played like real blackshirts, we'd win the north, win the Big 12, and play in a BCS bowl game imho.