LB Jeff Luc

dropped to 4 stars for not favoring NU

Port St. Lucie (Fla.) Treasure Coast linebacker Jeff Luc dropped from the No. 12 spot to No. 25, and also slid from five stars to four. The 6-1, 230-pounder remains one of the nation's most elite players, but a senior evaluation by Rivals.com analysts showed a few small flaws in his game.

"Luc struggled to get off blocks and it was apparent that his inability to make plays versus Daytona Beach Mainland was hampered by stiffness issues," Every said. "The bottom line is a five-star linebacker should be making plays regardless of the opponent, and Luc was unproductive.

"That should not take away from all of the positives he brings to the table. We're still talking about a kid that ranks among the top 25 players in the nation. He's still an extremely special player that will definitely see early playing time on special teams and work his way into the starting lineup by his second season. He also remains one of the hardest-hitting prospects in the nation."

http://footballrecruiting.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1001293

dropped to 4 stars for not favoring NU

Port St. Lucie (Fla.) Treasure Coast linebacker Jeff Luc dropped from the No. 12 spot to No. 25, and also slid from five stars to four. The 6-1, 230-pounder remains one of the nation's most elite players, but a senior evaluation by Rivals.com analysts showed a few small flaws in his game.

"Luc struggled to get off blocks and it was apparent that his inability to make plays versus Daytona Beach Mainland was hampered by stiffness issues," Every said. "The bottom line is a five-star linebacker should be making plays regardless of the opponent, and Luc was unproductive.

"That should not take away from all of the positives he brings to the table. We're still talking about a kid that ranks among the top 25 players in the nation. He's still an extremely special player that will definitely see early playing time on special teams and work his way into the starting lineup by his second season. He also remains one of the hardest-hitting prospects in the nation."

http://footballrecruiting.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1001293

I'm glad this evaluation mentions "stiffness." I have really noticed the type of players, esp the last couple of years, since Bo and Co. have been here they tend to like to recruit. They look for lanky, rangy, smooth guys it seems. Guys that move around with fluidity and are flexible. I have always thought fluidity and ease of movement is one of the best indicators of athleticism. It really seems this is first time I've seen our recruiting going this direction since the early '90s.

Guys that can make something hard look easy(i.e. Suh) tend to be the most athletic. And they seem to be doing this throughout the team even in the OL which is maybe the most important thing an O-Lineman can have. If you can find Big but Smooth and Agile guys, your line will be more physical and able to move around and have better blocking schemes. I feel looking back that those are the kind of guys we had up and down the roster in the '90s.

• 1 month later...