Bo Pelini's recruiting coming-out party??

IMO, when Bo says he's not interested in stars, he is being honest. Bo's stratagy this last year seems to have been to been largely centered around building relationships with programs and coaching staffs that consistanly produce top tier talent and win on the feild. When a coach has these kind of relationships established, he doesn't rely on Rivals or Scouts to do his talents evaluations. This doesn't mean he wouldn't want the best players, and certainly most of the best players have high star rankings. The difference is wanting the players that you identify as best for your program instead of those identified by outside analysts.

Secondly, Witt's transfer exemplifies a distaste for promises that have no basis in on field results. Sadly, many 5 stars guys would seem to expect such gaurantees simply because they have been told how great they are for so many years. It's alot easier to get a kid to learn your system, take time to develop, and ajust to college life when he doesn't have unreal expectations coming in.

Futhermore, everone wants the best possible guy, but different styles and personnalities will better fit certain teams. Would a 5 star pocket quaterback have flourished in Missouri's spread offense the way Daniels did or would Tommy Frazier have succeeded playing for Spurrier in the 90's a la Wurrfield.

We should have a solid year recruiting, but I don't think it will be a "coming out" party per say. Idk if you have a rivals account, but right now most of our prospects are still 3 and 4 start guys split pretty evenly. A lot of the 5 star talent we have as prospects have either verbally committed or have double digit offers, so we have an uphill battle ahead of us.

Another strong season with obvious improvement, potential for the next year, and a strong bowl game will help us out. I say give it another year or so, but we should have a considerably better recruiting year this time around.

Exactly. If you look at the top schools right now: Florida, Texas, Oklahoma, USC, etc, that seem to sign players with all those pretty stars by their names they have two, albeit very basic, similarities: 1) they have established coaching staffs and 2) are consistent winners. Bo will get there as well, it'll just take another year or two after the '10 class.

:thumbs:w00t

I know everyone in this thread is excited about our 2 commits. But to say Bo is having a "recruiting coming-out party" for the 2010 class is absurd. It's April; April 2009! Does everyone realize the number of players we've recruited who have already committed to Texas, Oklahoma or Texas A&M? Not only were they 3 or 4 stars (some were even 5), not only did they commit right after oral commits were allowed, they committed to fellow Big 12 schools! We're gonna be playing against these kids the next several years.

I know everyone in this thread is excited about our 2 commits. But to say Bo is having a "recruiting coming-out party" for the 2010 class is absurd. It's April; April 2009! Does everyone realize the number of players we've recruited who have already committed to Texas, Oklahoma or Texas A&M? Not only were they 3 or 4 stars (some were even 5), not only did they commit right after oral commits were allowed, they committed to fellow Big 12 schools! We're gonna be playing against these kids the next several years.

Bring it on!

I wouldn't have it any other way.

We'll Josh Freeman them all.

Bring it on!

:yeah I love that attitude. There are people on here that think because Texas has filled most of their 2010 class up with studs, we should go ahead and proclaim them NC for 2011, 2012 ect.. But they do this every year, and have won it all once with the one man show Vince Young. I think we are off to a great start, and when we win some big games next year, it will get even better. Stop raining on our parade Street Novelist, we should be excited that our first two recruits are rated so highly IMO.

Bring it on!

New saying? I like it.

"That kid backed out on his commitment to us, and is going to Colorado!? We'll just Josh Freeman that punk!"

:power

:yeah I love that attitude. There are people on here that think because Texas has filled most of their 2010 class up with studs, we should go ahead and proclaim them NC for 2011, 2012 ect.. But they do this every year, and have won it all once with the one man show Vince Young. I think we are off to a great start, and when we win some big games next year, it will get even better. Stop raining on our parade Street Novelist, we should be excited that our first two recruits are rated so highly IMO.

:laughpound LMFAO...raining on your parade? I'm being realistic. I want to win as much as any of you. But for the thread starter to make a title saying this will be Bo's "coming-out party" is wishful thinking, if not delusional. No one is proclaiming Texas the national champion. But we only have 2 commits, and 1 of them is from Nebraska. So calm down and wait till the signing period is over before you start hopping and prancing like a little schoolgirl

:laughpound LMFAO...raining on your parade? I'm being realistic. I want to win as much as any of you. But for the thread starter to make a title saying this will be Bo's "coming-out party" is wishful thinking, if not delusional. No one is proclaiming Texas the national champion. But we only have 2 commits, and 1 of them is from Nebraska. So calm down and wait till the signing period is over before you start hopping and prancing like a little schoolgirl

There is nothing wrong with being excited about the upcoming recruiting class. I disagree with your opinion, but respect it.

Side note - One of those recruits is a Nebraskan, yes, but he is also the #65 best player in the nation according to Rivals Top 100 players for the 2010 class. We had an advantage recruiting him considering he lives here, but that doesn't mean a whole bunch in the grand scheme of recruiting. He's a recruit, plain and simple. Doesn't matter where he is from.

The OP did not say this would be Bo's recruiting comming out party, he asked what our thoughts were about it. But I agree that it is way to early to tell, but both recruits are very highly rated, and it is a good start.

We are off to a good start but it seems as of late that our highly regarded targets are ruling us out. I noticed that Marquies Hill, not that highly regarded but someone I would love to have at receiver recently put us in his third tier of schools. Seastrunk, Jeffcoat, both Whites, Ferguson, all these guys are more than likely headed somewhere else unless we can make up some ground. Not to rain on the parade also just being realistic. However, I think it will be interesting to see how the spring game effects guys like Lucas, Terry, Beachum and so on. IMO I am hoping for no less than 10 four stars this year. We will have a solid class i think but nowhere near the point OU, Texas, USC, Florida where they can pretty much go after anyone in the country and have a good shot at getting them.

I completely get what you're saying and from the aspect you're coming from I agree with it... However, the OP wasn't making any statements based on the fact that we HAVE 2 recruits, it was that the 2 recruits we have are 4*'s... Don't wanna get into the * argument here.. it's pointless... But he was saying, is this a sign of the future where we are competing for these "better recruits" and getting multiple 4* or even a 5* or 2? Not that we have 2 recruits and it's only April... Hell, if there was enough talent to fill out an entire recruiting class from the talent in NE, SD, and IA we would have our entire recruiting class done too...

It's tough to gauge recruiting because coaches all have different strategies. Bo may end up only recruiting 4* and 3* guys his entire tenure, with only a few 5* kids littered in there. And that is fine with me. I just want the best kids for our team. Besides, stars really don't matter. Just look at USC, no matter what kind of talent they have they still end up tanking a game every year to a lesser team.

Once we start winning big games, recruits will really open their eyes to us.

Now it's 3, can we start now, can we.

No, you can't start celebrating and here's why:

Texas A&M 16 commits

Texas 21 commits

Texas Tech 7 commits

Oklahoma 7 commits

and the majority of the players who committed to these fellow Big 12 schools were guys we were hoping to land

We are off to a good start but it seems as of late that our highly regarded targets are ruling us out.

So what? Do the Huskers need to land the #1-5 players, according to some recruiting service, to have a talented team? You apparently seem to think so.

And, there could be any number of reasons why this is happening:

1) the Husker coaches aren't promising any of these kids a starting role or playing time,

2) maybe Bo and the rest of the coaches refuse to give momma, poppa or uncle willy, through connections of boosters, a job as an executive vice president of marketing for a company,

3) maybe the Huskers came into their recruiting process too late,

4) maybe there's too much competition for playing time,

5) maybe they simply want to play close to home so family and friends can easily come and watch them play,

6) maybe they have family obligations where they need to stay close to home, etc.

And this is just a partial list of possible/potential reasons.

No, you can't start celebrating and here's why:

Texas A&M 16 commits

Texas 21 commits

Texas Tech 5 commits

Oklahoma 7 commits

and the majority of the players who committed to these fellow Big 12 schools were guys we were hoping to land

Well I did some research and of the schools you listed that received committments from players we wanted:

Texas Tech: Of their 7 committments...all 7 are from Texas.

Texas: Of their 21 commits...all 21 are from Texas.

Texas A&M: Of their 16 commits...14 are from Texas and 2 are from Louisiana.

Oklahoma: Of their 7 commits...5 are from Texas, 1 is from in-state and the last one is from Kansas.

I just get the impression from your post that you spend some of your time running around like chicken little screaming the sky is falling because we: 1) only have three commits right now and 2) we seem to be "losing" the recruiting battles.

Recruiting is a process that often starts when these kids enter high school as freshman. I've heard that Mack Brown and the rest of the Texas coaches start evaluating kids as early as the 7th grade. Combine that with being the flagship university in a talent rich state and it's no wonder they've already filled their 2010 class.

So to huskers1 and street novelist: Relax and be of good cheer because there is a really long way to go until the next LOI. And besides, Nebraska is only going to be able to sign like 15-17 kids in this class anyway.