Bo Pelini's recruiting coming-out party??

I'm not sure if you're aware of past recruiting classes Jen, but the majority of our recruits AREN'T FROM NEBRASKA. Nebraska just isn't big enough to produce enough D1 talent. Therefore, we have to go into Texas and Florida and California and beat out those schools (such as Texas, USC, Florida, Miami, etc.) for their own players. If you really think we don't need those kids from those states I just mentioned to win, well, I really don't know what to say.

I'm not sure if you're aware of past recruiting classes Jen, but the majority of our recruits AREN'T FROM NEBRASKA. Nebraska just isn't big enough to produce enough D1 talent. Therefore, we have to go into Texas and Florida and California and beat out those schools (such as Texas, USC, Florida, Miami, etc.) for their own players. If you really think we don't need those kids from those states I just mentioned to win, well, I really don't know what to say.

I don't think she is saying that, per say. I think she is simply getting at the fact that just because we only have 3 commits and we might be "losing some recruiting battles", it doesn't mean all hope is lost and Nebraska should just quit football forever. Like she said, it's a process. Half of these kids haven't even gotten a chance to visit Nebraska and the facilities and talk to coaches face to face.

Give it time, people. All that matters is who signs in February. If this recruiting circus really irks many of you this much, I say quit following it and just wait till signing day to see who we recruited.

I don't think she is saying that, per say. I think she is simply getting at the fact that just because we only have 3 commits and we might be "losing some recruiting battles", it doesn't mean all hope is lost and Nebraska should just quit football forever. Like she said, it's a process. Half of these kids haven't even gotten a chance to visit Nebraska and the facilities and talk to coaches face to face.

Give it time, people. All that matters is who signs in February. If this recruiting circus really irks many of you this much, I say quit following it and just wait till signing day to see who we recruited.

and that's exactly what I'm saying...people are getting so hyped because we have 3 commits...I am just saying our D12 rivals already have twice that, and some are even close to full classes. I think it would be wise, like you said, for people here to slightly curb the enthusiam until we see who we end up landing next year at Signing Day.

Duh, I completely understand that we need to recruit in Texas, California, Florida, etc. :bang

Wow, you completely missed the point.

The point: Bo is just now entering his second season as our head coach and it takes time to build relationships with those high school coaches so that like Texas we're in on these kids as early as they are and have a more realistic shot at getting them to come north.

Again...

Mack Brown is entering his 12th season at Texas.

Mike Leach has been at Texas Tech for 9 years.

Bob Stoops has been at Oklahoma for 10 years.

Only Mike Sherman at A&M contradicts this trend.

So, you get established coaching staffs, with track records of success smack dab in the middle of a recruiting hotbed and you're "surprised/dismayed/saddened" that they're out-recruiting the Huskers at this point?

All of those aforementioned schools have a closer location to these recruits than we do so it's natural to expect that those schools will have an advantage in the recruiting process. In a talent rich state like Texas, there are more than enough talented players to go around. Look at Lester Ward. Somehow all those schools in Texas missed this kid and from what I heard from the spring game he's going to be really good.

Then consider that the Huskers, in Bo's first year, snagged Rex Burkhead, Andrew Green, Cody Green, and Chris Williams from Texas. All of these guys were highly sought after and Bo got 'em!

Relax man, give Bo time.

And one final point here...If LOI day was three weeks away and we had three commits...THEN panic would be justifiable. As it stands now though, we have 9 months plus, and the entire 2009 season ahead of us to wow recruits not only for the 2010 class but going forward to 2011 and beyond.

Peace.

One thing to add is the type of player Bo is going after. The stargazing is fun, but it's not the most important thing. Bo's getting players from winning rich schools with work ethic and a desire to play for Nebraska. Maybe in five years Bo will be winning a lot more recruiting battles for top talent, but as Jen pointed out, this is his second season. His first was a resounding success compared to the one that preceded it. This season is looking up.

Time. Just give it time.

One thing to add is the type of player Bo is going after. The stargazing is fun, but it's not the most important thing. Bo's getting players from winning rich schools with work ethic and a desire to play for Nebraska. Maybe in five years Bo will be winning a lot more recruiting battles for top talent, but as Jen pointed out, this is his second season. His first was a resounding success compared to the one that preceded it. This season is looking up.

Time. Just give it time.

And not only that but it seems that some of our fans expect Nebraska to win most, if not all, of the recruiting battles against other schools for the nation's top players; and that is just flat out naive homerism and having ridiculously unrealistic expectations.

I think when Nebraska is going against USC, Texas, Oklahoma, Florida and Ohio State for a top tier recruit that a success rate of about 10-15% is to be expected.

I'll use Jeff Luc, the #1 LB in the country as an example. The last I heard this kid is sitting on over 40+ scholarship offers. Only one team is going to sign this kid. That means the other 39+ schools who offered are going to lose the recruiting battle.

I agree that it is too early to panic. I do like the fact that Coach Pelini is building relationships with some of the best high school programs around the country and trying to establish pipelines in the big three: Texas, Florida and California. I think with Beck's connections they could do well in Phoenix as well because it is a booming hotbed of talent.

HuskerJen....I don't know what you thought I was saying and I don't know how you think recruiting goes but I am not in a panic and I understand why some kids don't go to some schools and why some do, you don't need to point that out to me. I also understand that there are a lot of players that are talented and can make a college team better. However, Bo obviously targets the players he wants the most first, then when they eliminate us he moves on to the next tier. Are you saying this doesn't matter? Nobody ever once said, in the history of football that any team needs to get the top five players to be a good team so I'm not sure why you mentioned that. You may want to read my post again if you think that. I'm not sure if you pay attention to threads or not, but why do you think that in Luc's thread or Ambles thread people mention this one will be tough? Bc our fans, obviously not as smart as you are oh wise one, realize that we are in an uphill battle to start with. But when it comes to guys like Marquise Hill, or Vincent Lucas who are eliminating us for Mizzou, Okie State, Kansas and so on it becomes to get frustrating. Who have we lost to USC so far this year? Ohio State? Florida? Hmmm I don't think you can name more than one if that. I'm sure 99% of husker fans understand we can't compete with Texas yet for top recruits. I love Bo and think he will have a great class for his second full year, it just gets frustrating to see recruits go somewhere else when they have so much less to offer.

HuskerJen....I don't know what you thought I was saying and I don't know how you think recruiting goes but I am not in a panic and I understand why some kids don't go to some schools and why some do, you don't need to point that out to me. I also understand that there are a lot of players that are talented and can make a college team better. However, Bo obviously targets the players he wants the most first, then when they eliminate us he moves on to the next tier. Are you saying this doesn't matter? Nobody ever once said, in the history of football that any team needs to get the top five players to be a good team so I'm not sure why you mentioned that. You may want to read my post again if you think that. I'm not sure if you pay attention to threads or not, but why do you think that in Luc's thread or Ambles thread people mention this one will be tough? Bc our fans, obviously not as smart as you are oh wise one, realize that we are in an uphill battle to start with. But when it comes to guys like Marquise Hill, or Vincent Lucas who are eliminating us for Mizzou, Okie State, Kansas and so on it becomes to get frustrating. Who have we lost to USC so far this year? Ohio State? Florida? Hmmm I don't think you can name more than one if that. I'm sure 99% of husker fans understand we can't compete with Texas yet for top recruits. I love Bo and think he will have a great class for his second full year, it just gets frustrating to see recruits go somewhere else when they have so much less to offer.

I understood perfectly what you said and I was responding to it...You're frustrated that these guys are choosing other schools which is understandable to a degree.

That's why I gave these potential reasons as to why recruits choose to go somewhere else:

1) the Husker coaches aren't promising any of these kids a starting role or playing time,

2) maybe Bo and the rest of the coaches refuse to give momma, poppa or uncle willy, through connections of boosters, a job as an executive vice president of marketing for a company,

3) maybe the Huskers came into their recruiting process too late,

4) maybe there's too much competition for playing time,

5) maybe they simply want to play close to home so family and friends can easily come and watch them play,

6) maybe they have family obligations where they need to stay close to home, etc.

In addition, what about a guy like Marcus Lucus from Liberty, Missouri?

Rivals: :star :star :star :star 5.8

Scout: :star :star :star :star #13 WR

Both Rivals and Scout.com rate him as one of the top receivers in the nation for the 2010 class.

However, you need to consider these facts:

1. Nebraska came into recruiting him, and by extension others, late because Bo is only entering his 2nd season.

2. His mom is an alum of Missouri.

3. He's stated that he's a Missouri fan and has dreamed of playing for the Tigers.

That's three strikes against Nebraska from the start right there. Now does Missouri have everything to offer that Nebraska does? No, certainly not. But with recruits often times what you can offer isn't enough. Not every recruit grows up dreaming of playing for the Huskers.

With regards to the rest of the recruits we're losing how do you know that's not a good thing? To assume that the kids that go elsewhere are the pure studs and all we're getting are the duds is ridiculous. I'm a firm believer that everything happens for a reason and generally things tend to work out for the best.

Look at Kyler Reed. He was recruited by several "lower tier schools: Northwestern, Colorado, Colorado State, Iowa State, Kansas

Kansas State and Missouri. And yet, in the spring game, he took a pass in the flat and raced 71 yards, out-running everyone in the process, down the sideline and scored a TD.

Nebraska's 2010 class will be just fine when it's all said and done....be of good cheer.

HuskerJen makes a good point about the type of kids we have coming in. They are right in the mold of what this program has been bring in for a long time. Granted BC brought in maybe a lot higher rated classes, but he couldn't do any thing with it, and hes gone, thank god.

The man that Bob D trusted to get his offense kick started again is now the AD. The same man that put together, with his coaching staff for all those years the weight program, the recruiting of players to fit the position they were needed at, and red shirting and bulking up O-line and D-line, and getting just a very few star players to fill the role's they needed to fill. Bo knows who is sitting in the AD's office and I am sure as hell he already knows how Tom did it. It looks to me that he is doing the same thing right now. That pipeline of O-line men that was so special for so many years, weren't highly rated when they came in, but they sure were when they left. Bo will win because the blue print is there for him to use and he is a humble enough man, unlike his predecessor, that he doesn't mind asking for advice from those around him who have been there before. This is just what I think I have seen so far. I could be way off in my thinking on this man, but I don't think so, time will tell.

GBR!!!

like chicken little
Posted by HJ

Close to a personal attack / name calling. Please take it easy.

Please don't get bent out of shape just a friendly reminder that even if you didn't intend for it to be that way, it could be conceived as the above.

Dude... come on.. How is that a personal attack? she's saying how she pictures his view of our recruiting situation.. If I say that the team looked like chickens with their heads cut off is that a personal attack at the team? No. It's stating how they played.. In no way an attack. There's a lot more questionable stuff out there.. Including by myself.... Just take a visit into the baseball section....

like chicken little
Posted by HJ

Close to a personal attack / name calling. Please take it easy.

Please don't get bent out of shape just a friendly reminder that even if you didn't intend for it to be that way, it could be conceived as the above.

Dude... come on.. How is that a personal attack? she's saying how she pictures his view of our recruiting situation.. If I say that the team looked like chickens with their heads cut off is that a personal attack at the team? No. It's stating how they played.. In no way an attack. There's a lot more questionable stuff out there.. Including by myself.... Just take a visit into the baseball section....

I would visit the baseball section, if there was something to talk about. Your signature says it all, very disappointing.