basketball players playing football

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4070344

in that story a player that was a former #1 qb recruit in the country ended up playing basketball for 4 years and is now transferring out to play football for a year. that equals 5 years of eligibility instead of the normal 4.

according to them this is how it works

"According to NCAA eligibility guidelines, student-athletes generally must sit out a year if they transfer from one four-year school to another. Because student-athletes are allowed to redshirt for medical or other reasons, they are granted 10 semesters of eligibility.

In the case of Paulus, because he was never a basketball redshirt at Duke, as an undergraduate transfer he would be eligible to play football at another school, assuming there are no extenuating circumstances concerning his eligibility."

this is just a strange situation and i was wondering if anyone had heard of someone doing this before and how that is allowed when i was under the impression that you are only allowed 8 semesters of play and 2 semesters of redshirt. kinda confused.

in that story a player that was a former #1 qb recruit in the country ended up playing basketball for 4 years and is now transferring out to play football for a year. that equals 5 years of eligibility instead of the normal 4.

"According to NCAA eligibility guidelines, student-athletes generally must sit out a year if they transfer from one four-year school to another. Because student-athletes are allowed to redshirt for medical or other reasons, they are granted 10 semesters of eligibility.

In the case of Paulus, because he was never a basketball redshirt at Duke, as an undergraduate transfer he would be eligible to play football at another school, assuming there are no extenuating circumstances concerning his eligibility."

this is just a strange situation and i was wondering if anyone had heard of someone doing this before and how that is allowed when i was under the impression that you are only allowed 8 semesters of play and 2 semesters of redshirt. kinda confused.

I believe you have 10 semesters of eligibility but you only have a maximum of 8 to participate in intercollegiate games in a single sport. Therefore he would have 2 left for a secondary sport.

They were saying on ESPN that he had talked to Rich Rodriguez at Michigan about competing for the quarterback job.

It seems like a bad idea to me, I would rather go somewhere where I would have a better chance of actually playing.

Mizzery diver turned place-kicker turned diver might have done this ??? at least 9 semesters. Maybe one of our MU "friends" can confirm this

Mizzery diver turned place-kicker turned diver might have done this ??? at least 9 semesters. Maybe one of our MU "friends" can confirm this

I think he only was on the dive team for one year, before playing football.

edit: yep, he only dove as a freshman. joined the football team in the spring of his freshman year, and quit diving.

I think he only was on the dive team for one year, before playing football.

edit: yep, he only dove as a freshman. joined the football team in the spring of his freshman year, and quit diving.

According to KC television - he rejoined the diving team and competed this spring at conference or nationals or some such

I am on top of things. ha ha.

Paulus has spoken with Nebraska....

oh and here is the link for you link seekers.

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=3918...;u_sid=10613706

I just read that. Very interesting article.

One thing I think this kid needs to realize is that unless he goes to a school that is in absolute desperate need of a quarterback (which is very unlikely, considering even Michigan has decided not to take him), he is probably at best going to be a back up. He'd be great for us as a short term guy, but he really shouldn't expect great QB playing chances at any major D1 school.

I am on top of things. ha ha.

Paulus has spoken with Nebraska....

oh and here is the link for you link seekers.

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=3918...;u_sid=10613706

I just read that. Very interesting article.

One thing I think this kid needs to realize is that unless he goes to a school that is in absolute desperate need of a quarterback (which is very unlikely, considering even Michigan has decided not to take him), he is probably at best going to be a back up. He'd be great for us as a short term guy, but he really shouldn't expect great QB playing chances at any major D1 school.

agreed.

although he was the gatorade player of the year in both basketball and football coming out of high school, so it is possible that he could go to a program and just light it on fire. after all he has been in a college physical fitness program for 4 years so as long as he has kept a little football sense he could possibly win a starting job. although not likely, it is possible.