Defense ahead of Offense?

I was just reading an article on the LJS (http://www.huskerextra.com/articles/2009/04/17/football/doc49e7cb7093e74656083614.txt), and it stated that Asante was confident that the D is far ahead of the offense.

My question: Is the D really far ahead of the offense, or is the offense not that good?

I think it's a combination of the two. The defense has (real) experience at the secondary and line positions. That's huge, especially in this kind of defense.

The offense on the other hand is breaking in a new QB, trying to find the right combination at offensive line, waiting for someone to step up at the WR position (the WR who had the best spring is suspended), and their number one running back is out (for the rest of Spring). To summarize: the offense does not have alot of experience at key positions like the defense does.

How good can the offense become by the time September rolls around? It's hard to really take a guess. I feel if we have a serviceable QB with a good running game - and if the D is as good as Asante says - the Huskers can be successful this year.

Unfortunately, the Spring Game will not answer any questions (it never does). It's hard to judge talent when they are going up against your own team (i.e., is the offense really that bad, or is the defense that good?).

On a side note, it's good to be back. Haven't been on here for a while due to moving into a house, getting my wife's home salon up-and-working, and then all the work that goes into owning a home. The good news is that all this work has made the months fly by, and now we are upon the Spring Game. The next stretch - from now until September - will be BRUTAL...although I do have a little one on the way to keep my time occupied.

Typically, the "D" is ahead of the "O". We just haven't seen a "D" around here for so long, most fans just expect to see the offense to throw up 50 points every spring.

or 31 or 17, as the case may be.

It's almost always the case that the D is ahead in developement. Those past years under BC where completely artificial (though Cosgove did alot to make those offenses look impressive).

The thinking here is that defense is so much more of a read and react game and doesn't rely so heavily on timing, that's why teams usually seem to improve so much between games 1 and 2 every year.

It seemed to me that Suh was the defense. When he left the game the Red team came on.

Both sides were vanilla but Washington was able to move the ball quite well. Trading off and on did not help him I am sure.

It was a good viewing of the talent that we have, but to put any stock on what we really have it did nothing as far as I am concerned. I know we will have a back up QB, good running backs and tight ends it appears.

But we were shown the same type of game last year.

No matter what they showed us, they showed us speed and that is what we need worse than anything to get back to being a top team. I am not getting to excited until Bo has a few years to get what he wants in there, and after watching yesterday I think that will happen. No more senioritis it appears.