Freshman at QB?

I like the thought of redshirting LTW if Watson thinks he has what it takes. If Lee is a capable or better yet a really good QB, then Green wont be forced to start his Soph year. I know that is contrary to most of this boards wishes and not a popular choice but it would serve the program better.

It's gonna be a tough situation if Spano cannot come back, which I am completely skeptical of.

Sooner or later we are gonna have that blowout game and we cannot expect Lee to stay in the entire game, so what will we do? Keep Lee in while just handing the ball off? Burn a RS year for LaTravis or Cody?

Having Witt show his true colors and Spano's injury really screwed us over at the QB position and we have little wiggle room.

Cody showed this spring why his mechanics still need alot of work and why he needs a RS year. Even LaTravis, with years from the position, has better mechanics than Cody does right now.

Watson is in love with LaTravis and thinks he can be a legitimate option for us at QB. If LaTravis had been a QB all along, we could have really had something with him. And that's not just based off of his spring game performance either.

Then there is Taylor Martinez. I know people think we promised him QB all along, but not until Spano's injury was this even discussed with him. Taylor pushed for it, but we never really entertained the idea until Spano went down. So does Taylor become the scrub duty QB? Well, possibly, if Taylor is willing to waste his career. If Taylor legitimately wants to become a collegiate level QB, he would need more work than Cody would when it comes to his mechanics.

JMO, but I'd throw Jim Ebke or Ron Kellogg out there before I'd waste a year from any of those guys. All of them need their development and to waste a year for any of them would royally suck.

But I guess we should all hope Spano gets healthy sooner rather than later so we don't have to worry about that.

Agree with most of this.

I am still not convinced that we would be hesitant to put in Latravis this year though. I honestly think he is going to be #2 either way. Kellogg did well at our QB camp which is encouraging but he will be way behind in the offense and adjusting to game speed...

Our best option might be getting Ebke back there for a #3 option to preserve a rs for Cody IMO.

BW - out of curiousity, what do you think the plan is with LT Washington? do you think they want to RS him to compete for the starting position next year and take over once Lee is gone? giving Green 2 years to potentially start?

Watson has every intention in the world to redshirt LTW. Watson absolutely loves him. LTW shined in just a few weeks, so what could he do with a year of development? That's what we want to find out.

Unless absolutely forced to, Watson will not burn LTW's redshirt, IMO.

Ebke may as well become a QB though for whoever mentioned him after I did. He isn't going to play at safety and we need QBs.

I'd almost wish they would go find a JUCO QB who can enroll. I know people do not want to waste schollies, but we REALLY need a backup QB. Spano really jacked up his knee and I don't think he'll be ready.

Yeah we need QB's, but we need the kind who can step up and play at the D-I level. Obviously he couldn't or they wouldn't have switched him to safety. If he switched back to QB, what is he going to bring to the table? He'd be 5th string at best and wouldn't see the field anyways, so what does it matter?

Yeah we need QB's, but we need the kind who can step up and play at the D-I level. Obviously he couldn't or they wouldn't have switched him to safety. If he switched back to QB, what is he going to bring to the table? He'd be 5th string at best and wouldn't see the field anyways, so what does it matter?

I'm not talking about playing Ebke if Lee were to go down. If that were to happen, of course we turn to Green or LTW. I'm talking about in the instance of a blowout. We will not keep Lee in and run the risk of having something unfortunate happen. So who do we bring in? A guy we need to redshirt or a guy who is likely not going to be on the 3-deep anytime soon?

I'm not talking about playing Ebke if Lee were to go down. If that were to happen, of course we turn to Green or LTW. I'm talking about in the instance of a blowout. We will not keep Lee in and run the risk of having something unfortunate happen. So who do we bring in? A guy we need to redshirt or a guy who is likely not going to be on the 3-deep anytime soon?

I see what you're saying about burning the redshirt, but either way, one of those guys: LTW, Green, or Martinez needs to get some game experience sometime. Plus, we also have Kellogg if we just need somebody to take the snap and hand it off. I don't think Ebke will switch back to QB. Though it's a longshot, there's way more of a chance he sees the field as a safety than as a QB.

Let me say this about that. Anything can happen.

As I'm sure hokieluv will agree. Tyrod Taylor has been attempted to be redshirted twice now. He was never meant to start as soon as he did. But Marcus Vick had problems and had to leave school, then Glennon got hurt.

Whatca gonna do?

I agree Green should redshirt. But yaknow what? The fact that so many people feel sure he could start is very very encouraging.

Our future is so bright we gotta wear shades!!

Okay, I understand your point about about Cody Green needing to redshirt, but I don't agree with it just yet. As far as I know this kid is pretty good. But to judge him based on the spring game is ridiculous. We take that scrimmage so seriously, we actually believe it is a display of our talent. We have MONTHS to go and the fact that some people are already saying just give him a redshirt undermines his talent. As far as Zac Lee being the better quarterback, for now he is. The only reason for that is he knows the offense better. But does he have the potential to grow anymore? Maybe he does, and maybe he will show it this year. But I THINK, not know: He has reached his peak and he won't grow. Comparing Pryor to Green is useful. Pryor grew really fast in the system he was in and unseated the senior starter. If Green can make a few things happen over the summer, I am all for him starting. I know how a lot of people feel on this board about redshirting and so on. To me though, we only need redshirting on those who aren't big enough and good enough to play. Saying Green will redshirt, thats a little early for me. We will see how that works out though. GBR

How is judging Green on the spring game ridiculous, but comparing him to Pryor not?

Okay, I understand your point about about Cody Green needing to redshirt, but I don't agree with it just yet. As far as I know this kid is pretty good. But to judge him based on the spring game is ridiculous. We take that scrimmage so seriously, we actually believe it is a display of our talent. We have MONTHS to go and the fact that some people are already saying just give him a redshirt undermines his talent. As far as Zac Lee being the better quarterback, for now he is. The only reason for that is he knows the offense better. But does he have the potential to grow anymore? Maybe he does, and maybe he will show it this year. But I THINK, not know: He has reached his peak and he won't grow. Comparing Pryor to Green is useful. Pryor grew really fast in the system he was in and unseated the senior starter. If Green can make a few things happen over the summer, I am all for him starting. I know how a lot of people feel on this board about redshirting and so on. To me though, we only need redshirting on those who aren't big enough and good enough to play. Saying Green will redshirt, thats a little early for me. We will see how that works out though. GBR

How is judging Green on the spring game ridiculous, but comparing him to Pryor not?

:yeah

I see what you're saying about burning the redshirt, but either way, one of those guys: LTW, Green, or Martinez needs to get some game experience sometime. Plus, we also have Kellogg if we just need somebody to take the snap and hand it off. I don't think Ebke will switch back to QB. Though it's a longshot, there's way more of a chance he sees the field as a safety than as a QB.

Yes, sometime they do. In about 2 years when Zac Lee runs out of eligibility.

Playing in games at this point is the least of LTW, Green or Taylor's worries. The biggest worry they have is mechanics, decision making and timing. That goes for all of them except Taylor, since he is not here. Mechanics are not worked out in a game. Neither is timing. Decision making you need to pick up in practice as well, but refine it in a game.

Thus why you see very few freshman QB's run an offense, unless it is a completely 'dumbed' down version. In Watson's offense, that won't be the case.

Kellogg is another guy who should redshirt. He had a very nice camp here last summer and the coaches like him as well. Redshirt the kid and see what you have down the road. No reason to burn a redshirt just for a few late game snaps that are likely to be meaningless.

Yes, sometime they do. In about 2 years when Zac Lee runs out of eligibility.

Playing in games at this point is the least of LTW, Green or Taylor's worries. The biggest worry they have is mechanics, decision making and timing. That goes for all of them except Taylor, since he is not here. Mechanics are not worked out in a game. Neither is timing. Decision making you need to pick up in practice as well, but refine it in a game.

Thus why you see very few freshman QB's run an offense, unless it is a completely 'dumbed' down version. In Watson's offense, that won't be the case.

Kellogg is another guy who should redshirt. He had a very nice camp here last summer and the coaches like him as well. Redshirt the kid and see what you have down the road. No reason to burn a redshirt just for a few late game snaps that are likely to be meaningless.

BigWillie, you have mentioned Greens mechanics before. What do you see that is wrong with his mechanics? I don't know squat about that kind of thing, but I thought his passes looked pretty good.

BigWillie, you have mentioned Greens mechanics before. What do you see that is wrong with his mechanics? I don't know squat about that kind of thing, but I thought his passes looked pretty good.

Take a look at THIS THREAD. Willie has at least a couple of posts (and as I recall, a video link) in which he breaks down Cody's mechanics. Pretty interesting read.