4-2-5 Defense

The former DC of Clemson is back at K-state. He switched them to the 4-2-5- defensive scheme. I know, I know, K-state won't stop alot of people no matter what the scheme because of talent issues.It's unusual for a team to switch schemes at the end of the season especially when your DC leaves. Did Clemson run the 4-2-5 in the bowl game? I recall that we had some trouble getting anything going against their scheme. Clemson has much more speed than KSU, but how many of you here think that in the coming years Snyder & company may pose problem's for our O? Just thinking ahead......

This is also known as the stong nickel, ecessencially you have 5 DB's but 3 are safeties instead of 3 corners. Several teams have used a version of this as it is thought to be effective against the spread. Many teams use a light, fast (so called hybrid) LB in a 4-3 scheme to the same effect.

This is also known as the stong nickel, ecessencially you have 5 DB's but 3 are safeties instead of 3 corners. Several teams have used a version of this as it is thought to be effective against the spread. Many teams use a light, fast (so called hybrid) LB in a 4-3 scheme to the same effect.

:yeah This scheme isn't to wild, you only really replace a LB with a SS. It isn't as fundamentally different as say the 3-3-5 that NMST used last year. Just another way to try and get more speed on the field. I'm not really too concerned. :snacks:

:yeah

Thats very true AND its also the reason BP/Wats wants NU to be able to line up and smash some teams with the run game.Right now everyone is basing and scheming their way to slow down these high powered spread offenses in the big 12.If a team finds a power rushing attack/spread hybrid that they can execute at a high level(see OU) teams lining up to stop the spread will be hard pressed to slow them downThats one reason I dont want NU to go to a full all out spread on offense.If you can somehow have some spread installed in your offense to go along with the power/option game it will be near impossible to stop by teams who BASICALLY are building their defenses around stopping spread offenses.Thats why you see BP /Wats tweaking our offense to the point that they can become a power running team as well as enough option to make teams have to practice for it.ADD that to the spread passing game and you will see an offense thats VERY hard to contain.Mobile QBs simply make it worse on defenses and BP knows that.

He has told Wats things that are very hard to defend as a DC and is having them implement it into our offensive philosophy.I think in about three years we will have an offense that is a combination of Florida and OUs .A hypbrid spread that features power running,options,the zone reads as well as the QB run game.IMHO it will give defense fits.Especially when you have versatile guys like Kyler Reed and McNeil at TE.These guys can be in line blockers as well as being split wide as receivers(think Gresham from OU).If you line up in nickel the bring them on line and run down your throats but if you play base you gotta have LBs who can run with Reed all day.I count count on 1 hand the number of teams who will have guys like that.This offense will have our TEs as walking mismatches.Very similar again to how OU uses Gresham and Florida uses Ingram and the big TE who killed OU in the NCG.

:yeah

Thats very true AND its also the reason BP/Wats wants NU to be able to line up and smash some teams with the run game.Right now everyone is basing and scheming their way to slow down these high powered spread offenses in the big 12.If a team finds a power rushing attack/spread hybrid that they can execute at a high level(see OU) teams lining up to stop the spread will be hard pressed to slow them downThats one reason I dont want NU to go to a full all out spread on offense.If you can somehow have some spread installed in your offense to go along with the power/option game it will be near impossible to stop by teams who BASICALLY are building their defenses around stopping spread offenses.Thats why you see BP /Wats tweaking our offense to the point that they can become a power running team as well as enough option to make teams have to practice for it.ADD that to the spread passing game and you will see an offense thats VERY hard to contain.Mobile QBs simply make it worse on defenses and BP knows that.

He has told Wats things that are very hard to defend as a DC and is having them implement it into our offensive philosophy.I think in about three years we will have an offense that is a combination of Florida and OUs .A hypbrid spread that features power running,options,the zone reads as well as the QB run game.IMHO it will give defense fits.Especially when you have versatile guys like Kyler Reed and McNeil at TE.These guys can be in line blockers as well as being split wide as receivers(think Gresham from OU).If you line up in nickel the bring them on line and run down your throats but if you play base you gotta have LBs who can run with Reed all day.I count count on 1 hand the number of teams who will have guys like that.This offense will have our TEs as walking mismatches.Very similar again to how OU uses Gresham and Florida uses Ingram and the big TE who killed OU in the NCG.

Va Tech and TCU both run the 4-2-5 also known as the 40 nickel. The Washington huskies of the 90s made the defense famous, and won the MNC in 91 with it and beat NU both 91 and 92 with an aggressive, speed based 8 man front scheme. TCU and Tech are pretty successful with it on an annual basis. It is the 4-4 defense, with the emphasis on speed and the OLBs are basically safeties, a Rover and a Whip. You usually can't run on this defense and because of the personnel, they have the speed and cover guys to shutdown passing squads. If you DC for Snyder, you run his schemes, from Legit on to the HC at Wisconsin, they all ran the same scheme. They will align with and emphasis on stopping various spread offenses as opposed to stopping the NU offense of the 90s. OU runs the 4-2-5 most of the time, their SLB is a safety. The TE was running the option in the MNC game and OU didn't adjust well to that play, where he caught the Utah passes. UT's 2005 team was a power running team from the spread also, with some I-formation mixed in.

The former DC of Clemson is back at K-state. He switched them to the 4-2-5- defensive scheme. I know, I know, K-state won't stop alot of people no matter what the scheme because of talent issues.It's unusual for a team to switch schemes at the end of the season especially when your DC leaves. Did Clemson run the 4-2-5 in the bowl game? I recall that we had some trouble getting anything going against their scheme. Clemson has much more speed than KSU, but how many of you here think that in the coming years Snyder & company may pose problem's for our O? Just thinking ahead......

While I admittedly don't know much about defensive schemes, I do know that the only cause of concern I have in K-State stopping our offense this year is if K-State puts 15 players on the defensive side. And even then, I'm still not too worried.

While I admittedly don't know much about defensive schemes, I do know that the only cause of concern I have in K-State stopping our offense this year is if K-State puts 15 players on the defensive side. And even then, I'm still not too worried.

:rollin:rollin

I'm with ya on that. lol

:rollin:rollin

I'm with ya on that. lol

KSU and Aggies both lack depth. When they get depth they will be much better teams.

Doesn't matter what K-State run imho. Not to be harsh or brash, but they are going to be the whipping boys of 2009. They return no starting QB and they lack overall talent/depth. I would even give ISU an advantage over them, especially since their QB is a returning starter.

Doesn't matter what they run this year, they aren't going to be bowl eligible for AT LEAST 2 years.