Legalization of Drugs

well, it depends on the potency of the weed, and how much you smoke. speaking in terms of just "average" weed the initial buzz from a bowl, lasts right at an hour. from a joint, probably a little longer, but theres more weed in a joint than in a bowl. most people will put it out part way through if they're smoking alone(no matter if its a bowl or a J)

would i trust them? i would trust em as much as anyone else running the equipment.... you don't have to be high to suck at running a forklift.

plus, from my experience, most people are more carful when they are high. some of my most productive days are when im high. you can feel it when you smoking, but after about 5 or 6 hits i get what almost feels like an adrenaline rush, and i just start doin chores(or whatever) and i get done in no time and the quality is what one would expect from a sober person.

thats not to say people should be working while high, from my pov thats just as stupid as working drunk(although its way less harmful/noticeable).

I'm still on the fence....Another thing that occurred to me today:

Forgive me for being so naive..I even avoid vitamins and prescription drugs.

But how long does the buzz usually last?

I'm usually the first person wanting Government to stay away from my everyday life, and usually when I think of people smoking pot, they're doing it at home..

But what about that warehouse worker that lights up during their "Smoke break"? Are you going to be comfortable walking by him when he gets on the forklift?

What about the school bus driver lighting a blunt minutes before picking your child up for school?

Or the person trying to share the same lane on the freeway as your Wife who's trying to watch out for the person texting while driving and keeping her eye ready to close for the flash of the photo radar?

How about just cane-ing people that smoke anything in public?

Whether or not the government legalizes it, companies and organizations can still have policies against use during work, coming into work while impared, or even just driving impared. Similar policies already exist for alcohol. Would legalization make these incidents more frequent, maybe but I am not sure it would be worse than the issues with alcohol today. I never used any drugs, other than alcohol, never had a use for the stuff, but I am not sure legalization of pot isn't without merits.

well, it depends on the potency of the weed, and how much you smoke. speaking in terms of just "average" weed the initial buzz from a bowl, lasts right at an hour. from a joint, probably a little longer, but theres more weed in a joint than in a bowl. most people will put it out part way through if they're smoking alone(no matter if its a bowl or a J)

would i trust them? i would trust em as much as anyone else running the equipment.... you don't have to be high to suck at running a forklift.

plus, from my experience, most people are more carful when they are high. some of my most productive days are when im high. you can feel it when you smoking, but after about 5 or 6 hits i get what almost feels like an adrenaline rush, and i just start doin chores(or whatever) and i get done in no time and the quality is what one would expect from a sober person.

thats not to say people should be working while high, from my pov thats just as stupid as working drunk(although its way less harmful/noticeable).

Wow!

A bowl full? No wonder I never got high..I wasn't smoking enough.

Are we talking regular cereal bowl or one of those Jethro Bodine sized popcorn bowls that I use to eat my 3 lb. salads?

I suck at running a forklift and only do it once a year for certification purposes..But I was guessing the buzz made you a little dizzy or affected your perception of motion in some way.

I used to drive drunk whenever I had the chance (when I was younger...16-22)..just for the excitement? of it or because it was illegal..or maybe just to get people to worry about me..(Usually inhale a 12-pack every time I was driving back to UNL after a weekend home)...I remember thinking I was much more careful, because I'd be devastated if anyone else got hurt..And for the most part..I did stay off the sidewalks...But looking back..probably the most dangerous aspect was my loss of judgement..Especially on a motorcycle..(I hardly ever rode on one wheel or even "popped a wheelie" when I was sober).

I apologize to 'skersfan and all the others of you that were victims of drunk drivers or lost someone close to the hideous practice..I have no excuse..there IS no excuse..I just somehow "knew" it was safe even though I now realize it wasn't.

The last couple of decades, I've been in favor of Legalizing Pot for the most part, but I'm also guessing there's a perception out there that it impairs you..I'm still not sure.

3lbs salad?!?!? jeeeez, i try and stay away from salads because they don't fill me up, but 3lbs might do the trick.

unless you smoke alot or unless you have really potent weed... it won't make you dizzy, or impair your sense of motion/distance/balance/ect...(unless theres a cloud of smoke around you <_< ).

the only physical effects are: relaxed muscles/drowsiness, bloodshot eyes, cottonmouth, increased heart rate.... stay active and you wont get tired, eye drops, and a bottle of water. i don't think you can do anything about increased heart rate, but a pretty girl(or ugly ;) ) can cause the same thing.

but like caveman said, if legalized, employers/companies will still have the authority to drug test... and if a forklift or driving is part of the job i can only assume there would be drug testing. imo though, if it were legalized most would take the same approch to it as they do with alcohol... i.e. not doin it during or before work.

t3zou4F00Ic

Husker 37, gotta call you out on the naive, anyone who can quote chapter and verse from Cheech and Chong isn't wholly unfamiliar with the subject of weed.

Oz, of course pot is debilitateing, or your smoking oregano. This "I do my best work buzzed " thing doesn't add credibility to your arguement, especiallly to those of us who can't remember how the hell we got home from most parties during high school. Your statements draw parallels to those of alcoholics who claim they drive more carefully after a drink our two, and work better once the edge is off.

I say enjoy the weed baby, don't worship the stuff.

Husker 37, gotta call you out on the naive, anyone who can quote chapter and verse from Cheech and Chong isn't wholly unfamiliar with the subject of weed.

You mean you gotta be on drugs or be an expert on them to be able to google some lyrics and then cut/paste ?

Bob Marley put out some of my favourite music, and I've "experienced" Jimi Hendrix..but my experience is mostly with what we called, "Nebraska No-high".

1st time was with a 4" plant I noticed next to a fence in my backyard while I was mowing..I was ~17 ..recognized the plant from several drawings a classmate drew of the plant for some key-fobs we mass produced for a shop class we were in..somehow we got into the economic process instead of just making ashtrays? or sawdust..

I Put the plant in the attic of our garage after soaking it in Jack Daniels to dry per my neighbor's instructions..forgot about it for a year..tried smoking it in an old pipe I found..nothing but stinky smoke..no high.

2nd time..a tall girl I worked with when I was in college..looked like Helen Hunt, but was 6'4"..Asked me to go to P.O. Pears 'cause she just felt like dancing..Invited me into her apartment after I drove her home..Asked if I wanted to try some..but neither of us knew how to roll it, nor had any paper, so she mentioned something about using an empty pepsi can..put a dent in the side and poked a hole in the middle of the dent..we both tried to take a couple hits off of it..after my turn, she went to her bathroom and then came back out totally nekid and asked if I wanted to take a shower with her..I never noticed any "buzz" but I liked the effect on her.

3rd/and last time, I was studying for a Calc test and some guys that lived on the floor below me next to a former Fiesta Bowl starting QB for us asked me if I wanted to try a hit off a bong..Soon after two deep hits, my eyes felt funny like they were filled with mercury and it felt like they'd fall out of my head if I leaned forward..I didn't get any studying done after that...just sorta remember going upstairs and crashing.

I liked watching Cheech and Chong..but didn't really learn much from their movies other than some cliches.

Pedro: Hey how am I driving, man?

Man Stoner: [looks around] : I think we're parked.

- .....google/cut/paste

Oz, of course pot is debilitateing, or your smoking oregano. This "I do my best work buzzed " thing doesn't add credibility to your arguement, especiallly to those of us who can't remember how the hell we got home from most parties during high school. Your statements draw parallels to those of alcoholics who claim they drive more carefully after a drink our two, and work better once the edge is off.

your right, pot can be debilitating, esp. in large amounts.... but in small amounts, its not to bad.

i never said that i do my "best work buzzed".... i am more productive buzzed though. no question about it. thats not to imply that im most productive or doing my best work when im as stoned as a high schooler at a party.

We're a society so convinced, we or those "some" elect, are "all-knowing" and entitled to run another individual's life, that we have actually forgot the meaning of self responsibility. If you don't like smoking weed, than don't smoke it!! That doesn't mean you should force your beliefs on everyone else. All that does is waste time and money and undercut the personal liberties of everyone.

Those who don't do drugs, feel they need to stop everybody else from doing drugs, and they use the actions or mistakes of a few as the backbone for their argument. Surely they can't prove that everybody who has ever smoked weed, blown coke or tripped on acid only did so by infringing upon the rights of others. How about instead of punishing everyone, just holding those who's use does infringe upon the rights of others accountable for their actions. Regulating those who use and sell does absolutely nothing to deter the use or sale of drugs, it actually creates a more violent and lucrative market and the need for more and more regulation.

The War on Drugs is proof of this. It has gotten worse and worse the more regulation, more time and more money are thrown at it. The US will be broke long before they create any headway on a problem that only education and personal responsibility can solve. Maybe if we empty our jails of all the non-violent, drug offenders we'd have more room, money and time to hold those few who do infringe upon the rights of others accountable for their actions. This would lead to an increase in personal responsibility and freedom across the board.

Just my take.

We're a society so convinced, we or those "some" elect, are "all-knowing" and entitled to run another individual's life, that we have actually forgot the meaning of self responsibility. If you don't like smoking weed, than don't smoke it!! That doesn't mean you should force your beliefs on everyone else. All that does is waste time and money and undercut the personal liberty of everybody.

Those who don't smoke, feel they need to stop everybody else from smoking, and they use the actions or mistakes of a few as the backbone for their argument. How about just holding those who's use does infringe upon the rights of others accountable for their actions. Regulating those who smoke and sell does absolutely nothing to deter the use or sale of drugs, it actually creates a more violent and lucrative market and the need for more and more regulation.

The War on Drugs is proof of this. It has gotten worse and worse the more regulation, more time and more money are thrown at it. The US will be broke long before they create any headway on a problem that only education and personal responsibility can solve. Maybe if we empty our jails of all the non-violent, drug offenders we'd have more room, money and time to hold those few who do infringe upon the rights of others accountable for their actions. This would lead to an increase in personal responsibility and freedom across the board.

Just my take.

Well said sir.......

We're a society so convinced, we or those "some" elect, are "all-knowing" and entitled to run another individual's life, that we have actually forgot the meaning of self responsibility. If you don't like smoking weed, than don't smoke it!! That doesn't mean you should force your beliefs on everyone else. All that does is waste time and money and undercut the personal liberty of everybody.

Those who don't smoke, feel they need to stop everybody else from smoking, and they use the actions or mistakes of a few as the backbone for their argument. How about just holding those who's use does infringe upon the rights of others accountable for their actions. Regulating those who smoke and sell does absolutely nothing to deter the use or sale of drugs, it actually creates a more violent and lucrative market and the need for more and more regulation.

Just my take.

Well said sir.......

In the past...I would've agreed with almost all of the above..But as I've gotten older, my nasty habbit of seeing both sides of any sitiation has gotten worse.

Tonight on a "very special" Dr. Phil...(I almost never watch it, but they were touching on a pet peve of mine.

Texting while driving).

I can't even begin to remember the number of times I almost got T-boned by someone on a cell phone, or had to share the same lane with a texter...They're getting easier to spot..they're the only ones not going 10-15 MPH over the speed limit..just moving speedbumps.

Sure it'd be nice to allow anyone to do anything they want, but once it starts to effect other's health/safety..you almost HAVE to start legislatin' some common sense for these people..they won't just take themselves or each other out.

And .." Regulating those who smoke and sell does absolutely nothing to deter the use or sale of drugs"

I don't agree...After writing my previous post..I was thinking, "If I could somehow find a joint on my driveway next to my car when I got home from work..I'd be tempted to try it out"..But since the last three places I worked are no longer in buisness, I've become more aware of the constant need to keep up my ability to pass a drug test..almost everyone tests these days..That's probably my main deterrent right now.

Just my take.

Well said sir.......

In the past...I would've agreed with almost all of the above..But as I've gotten older, my nasty habbit of seeing both sides of any sitiation has gotten worse.

Tonight on a "very special" Dr. Phil...(I almost never watch it, but they were touching on a pet peve of mine.

Texting while driving).

I can't even begin to remember the number of times I almost got T-boned by someone on a cell phone, or had to share the same lane with a texter...They're getting easier to spot..they're the only ones not going 10-15 MPH over the speed limit..just moving speedbumps.

Sure it'd be nice to allow anyone to do anything they want, but once it starts to effect other's health/safety..you almost HAVE to start legislatin' some common sense for these people..they won't just take themselves or each other out.

And .." Regulating those who smoke and sell does absolutely nothing to deter the use or sale of drugs"

I don't agree...After writing my previous post..I was thinking, "If I could somehow find a joint on my driveway next to my car when I got home from work..I'd be tempted to try it out"..But since the last three places I worked are no longer in buisness, I've become more aware of the constant need to keep up my ability to pass a drug test..almost everyone tests these days..That's probably my main deterrent right now.

Is infringing upon one's health/safety not a direct violation of that individual's rights? If no one is injured or harmed, then no. But if someone was, the violator should be held accountable. If the people who did violate other's rights were held accountable, you would see an instant decline in the actions of infringement. The best deterrent is accountability and education, not legislation. This does nothing to stop those who are already willing to take the chance and only restricts the rights of those who do follow the rules. We don't need legislation to regulate everybody when only a select few are the one's infringing upon other's rights.

What about "regulating those who smoke and sell does absolutely nothing to deter the use or sale of drugs" do you not agree with? I provided an example, The War On Drugs, as evidence for my statement, if you do not agree please provide evidence to support your claim.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just my take.

Well said sir.......

Texting while driving).

Is infringing upon one's health/safety not a direct violation of that individual's rights? If no one is injured or harmed, then no. But if someone was, the violator should be held accountable. If the people who did violate other's rights were held accountable, you would see an instant decline in the actions of infringement. The best deterrent is accountability and education, not legislation. This does nothing to stop those who are already willing to take the chance and only restricts the rights of those who do follow the rules. We don't need legislation to regulate everybody when only a select few are the one's infringing upon other's rights.

What about "regulating those who smoke and sell does absolutely nothing to deter the use or sale of drugs" do you not agree with? I provided an example, The War On Drugs, as evidence for my statement, if you do not agree please provide evidence to support your claim.

Exhibit A: Me. I don't smoke because it is illegal and I could lose my job. If it were legal I probably would never have stopped. Again, I'm not saying the law is right or that I support it, but to say regulation has no effect is very inaccurate. I'm quite certain that when pot is made legal, you'll see a hell of alot of people start smoking that would have otherwise refraimed.