Virginia Tech game in Blacksburg

One of our starting guards, Sergio Render a senior is considered by some to be the #1 guard prospect in the country. He is a three (3) year starter. So he is not exactly fresh meat for anyone. The other starter at the moment is Jaymes Brooks who is a redshirt Sophmore who was a former tight end. Pretty athletic for a 300 pounder and should be an improvement over last year. The backup for both of them are redshirt sophomores. In the third year of the program if they haven't gotten it they probably won't get it.

At one time, Tech's offensive line was the strength of the team. They blocked, the tailbacks followed and we usually were able to grind out wins. Not as well, but not unlike your huskers. We got behind in recruiting and developing offensive linemen and it showed. Tyrod would have been able to redshirt last year if the line would have been serviceable. His redshirt was yanked because we needed a quarterback to be able to escape the rush that wasn't going to get blocked. Lesser defensive linemen than Suh were able to have a field day last year.

Three (3) years ago Tech got a new offensive line coach and this year his work is expected to start paying off as we have recruited better lineman and he appears to be developing them better. That is our big question mark heading into the season. It appears to be better. It also helped as the year went on that our receivers were able to make plays and Tyrod was able to make people pay for coming after him with their ears pinned back. Early on it was ugly. Toward the end of the season, he was able to better carry out his fakes, find the open receiver, and freeze the linebackers.

Buy your friend a beer and talk some football.

And this shows why I know squat about the Hokies. I did not even know Sergio Render.

No disrespect intended. I'm the same way when it comes to UVA, WVU, Tennessee and any other local team. I literally refuse to be drown by the constant talk of those teams around these parts.

But in reading up about your team I notice you still lose two interior starters. One a 3 year starter and the other a 2 year starter. Seems Brooks, while he flashed in the Orange Bowl, had not started until that point.

And this shows why I know squat about the Hokies. I did not even know Sergio Render.

No disrespect intended. I'm the same way when it comes to UVA, WVU, Tennessee and any other local team. I literally refuse to be drown by the constant talk of those teams around these parts.

But in reading up about your team I notice you still lose two interior starters. One a 3 year starter and the other a 2 year starter. Seems Brooks, while he flashed in the Orange Bowl, had not started until that point.

Does UVA have a football team? Who knew?

Yes they were long term starters, but it was like when Duke has a large contingent returning. Sometimes it is not a good thing. All of the Hokies watched Marshman get beat time and time again because he was not very athletic. Tech has done much better finding kids with an big athletic frame and trying to add the weight in muscle. That is where Brooks comes from. He was a TE.

I think this game will be as up in the air as it gets,vt has a tuff one with bama right off and we get cream puffs to build momentum. our D will be much improved with more speed hopefully to match vt playmakers. its gonna be a good one,one word though SUH! it will take 2 to block him leaving a hole for someone else to get pressure through. our qb and reciever sitiation concerns me ,but we get some cream puffs to start with, you get Bama,and I dont like elephants. I did however shoot 3 turkeys with my bow this spring so hokie jerky and corn fritters will be game time munchies. all in all VT has a great coach and a sounds to be great fan base. itll be a classic.

I think this game will be as up in the air as it gets,vt has a tuff one with bama right off and we get cream puffs to build momentum. our D will be much improved with more speed hopefully to match vt playmakers. its gonna be a good one,one word though SUH! it will take 2 to block him leaving a hole for someone else to get pressure through. our qb and reciever sitiation concerns me ,but we get some cream puffs to start with, you get Bama,and I dont like elephants. I did however shoot 3 turkeys with my bow this spring so hokie jerky and corn fritters will be game time munchies. all in all VT has a great coach and a sounds to be great fan base. itll be a classic.

They played ONE team, and eeked by in Columbus and were beat down 24-7 in Austin and eeked by a lower ranked OSU teams with a HORRIBLE offense, very impressive! SUH WHO? Where was he at when OU scored 62 or the prior year when KU broke 70?

They played ONE team, and eeked by in Columbus and were beat down 24-7 in Austin and eeked by a lower ranked OSU teams with a HORRIBLE offense, very impressive! SUH WHO? Where was he at when OU scored 62 or the prior year when KU broke 70?

???? I am now dumber for having read this post.

One big issue with VT the last few years has been their slow starts. I suppose all good teams improve over the course of the season unless injuries get in the way. However, VT just doesn't seem ready to play well until the third or fourth game. That could be a factor with Nebraska.

My daughter (a VT graduate as of last Saturday!) attended last year's game at Lincoln as the guest of my brother (a '76 NU grad.). She was struck by how much more gracious, friendly and sportsmanlike the NU fans are compared to VT fans.

Running the ball will be important in this game. VT's record when outrushing our opponents is something ridiculous. I'll get back to you with the exact stats.

The thought that you guys would have beaten us late in the season seems to be common sentiment for Nebraska fans and something that most Tech fans would disagree with. Our defense didn't really start clicking until the last 5 games of the year, giving up 250 yards and 10 ppg.

Also, there seems to be a general misconception that we start slow. It's true that we've lost a game in September the last two years. However, since 1999 we've started 11-0, 8-0, 6-0, 8-0, 7-1 (6-0), 10-2 (2-2), 8-0, 10-2 (4-0), 6-1, and 5-1. So we've gotten off to some pretty good starts before.

Should be a good game. Good to see y'all again!

Running the ball will be important in this game. VT's record when outrushing our opponents is something ridiculous. I'll get back to you with the exact stats.

The thought that you guys would have beaten us late in the season seems to be common sentiment for Nebraska fans and something that most Tech fans would disagree with. Our defense didn't really start clicking until the last 5 games of the year, giving up 250 yards and 10 ppg.

Also, there seems to be a general misconception that we start slow. It's true that we've lost a game in September the last two years. However, since 1999 we've started 11-0, 8-0, 6-0, 8-0, 7-1 (6-0), 10-2 (2-2), 8-0, 10-2 (4-0), 6-1, and 5-1. So we've gotten off to some pretty good starts before.

When I mentioned slow starts, I was referring to recent seasons, specifically:

2008-2009

#17 VT @ unranked East Carolina (Southern Conference): 22-27 L

unranked Furman (Southern Conference) @ unranked VT: 7-24 W

2007-2008

unranked East Carolina (Southern Conference) @ # 9 VT: 7-17 W

#9 VT @ #2 LSU (Southeastern Conference): 7-48 L

When I mentioned slow starts, I was referring to recent seasons, specifically:

2008-2009

#17 VT @ unranked East Carolina (Southern Conference): 22-27 L

unranked Furman (Southern Conference) @ unranked VT: 7-24 W

2007-2008

unranked East Carolina (Southern Conference) @ # 9 VT: 7-17 W

#9 VT @ #2 LSU (Southeastern Conference): 7-48 L

I hardly call beating East Carolina and losing to LSU a bad start in 2007, considering the team LSU had that year, and EC is not just a walk over. EC also had a good season last year...and they did beat Furman. So not sure how those two seasons could be called slow starts really.