Valid or not??

Well, one thing that is clear now is that Baylor is no longer the pushover it once was. At least for the present.

I don't think rkhufu was saying stop recruiting Texas, just pointing out we can't make a living from recruiting there. We need to win some battles elsewhere, pull in the Marlon Lucky's and Harrison Becks. Yeah, I realize Beck didn't pan out and Lucky didn't become a top draft pick, but these were battles we won against the likes of USC, Miami, and Florida. We'll have to do that in the future, too. I think that's a reasonable expectation in order to be successful.

On the other hand, I'm just astounded there wasn't a single exclamation point (!) in rkhufu's post. Gotta be a record there buddy! ;)

Look out, it's Baylor....The big bad Baylor Bear is gonna get you.

Do something, anything, then I can fail to be impressed properly.

I can't even begin to guess how the season will unfold with Lee at the helm. We seem to be one broken collar done away from either disaster or the next Tommies Frazier.

Is it August yet?

2. To automatically assume that Baylor is on the way to becoming a Big 12 powerhouse simply because they hired some high school coach, who won a few state titles at the high school level, is absurd to say the least.

Name me one coach in Baylor's entire football history who turned that program into a consistent national power.

Just because Baylor isn't a consistent national power doesn't mean that they're not good nor can they grab kids from Texas or any other state like California or Florida. I see where you're coming from Jen but I see where rkhufu is kind of comin from too.

Correct me if I'm wrong but Art is that the name of the Head Coach for Baylor wasn't that his first year at Baylor? Now Baylor almost beat Texas Tech last year that would've sent Texas to the Big 12 Championship and but they lost at the last second and Baylor only lost by 4 against Mizzo.

I was at that Baylor game last year and I wasn't the only nervous Husker fan in the first half when Griffin was running all around us. Whoever says that Baylor will not be good next year is living in denial basically. Leaving Memorial Stadium after that game and over hearing other fans and talking to other fans and everybody was surprised by Griffins talents and they we all talking about how scary its going to be come next year when we play Baylor on their home field.

Now I'm not implying that Baylor is going to beat us nor do I think they'll beat us but it should be a good game and people shouldn't be over looking Baylor.

Even bad teams have good days, and good years. I can remember NU losing to a bad ISU team (was it 91 or 92), I remember many times KU looked very good for a half and even brought a game down to the wire(under coach Glenn). Baylor has looked like it was on the rise before only to fall back down. Baylor has a lot of ground to make up before they can earn respect in the conference. I look foward to more competion if they can pull it off, but I won't hold my breath.

Not Valid. I don't see losses to either Baylor or Kansas for starters, as far as Va. Tech goes; I don't know. My gut tells me that this has the potential to be Bo Pilini's second signature win as NU's head coach, the first being the Gator Bowl. I think ten regular season wins, no kool-aid required, is a distinct possibility.

Not Valid. I don't see losses to either Baylor or Kansas for starters, as far as Va. Tech goes; I don't know. My gut tells me that this has the potential to be Bo Pilini's second signature win as NU's head coach, the first being the Gator Bowl. I think ten regular season wins, no kool-aid required, is a distinct possibility.

we are asking a lot from a qb who will have only 2 games under his belt...whomever that might be, his play would just have to be outstanding.

Griffin is probably the scariest player in the open field with the ball in his hands in the conference. The fact that we make this LONG trip the week before Boomer comes to town can also be unnerving. And yes, fellow Skers Art Briles is building some kind of mumble down in Waco. However, the loss of both their tackles could put a lot more duress on Griffin this year. Also I don't envision Bo letting a "slip-up" happen contrary to the last staff. BUT, we do need to give props to Art, there is something going on in Waco.

I don't think his predictions are that far off. I could see us losing to VaTech, Missouri (doubtful but possible in Columbia at night), TT, (again doubtful but possible), Baylor, Oklahoma, Kansas, and Colorado. I think we will win at least half of these, but that's still at least 7 games that we have a decent chance of losing. That said, I think his prediction of 8-5 is probably a safe one. We might gain a win or two, or lose one, but 8-5 is probably a good middle of the road prediction.

Griffihn's HC, Briles won 4 Texas 4A state titles in S-Ville, where Spano hails from. He will make Baylor better and once again, Texas kids have another option to stay at home and win in a big conference. NU needs to hit the CA, LA and Florida areas, because they will never get the 5 star kids from Texas at the skill spots. They can get the 2-3 star kids and occasional 4 stars, but not the top tier.

Sorry rknufu7, you're wrong.

T_O_B

I don't think his predictions are that far off. I could see us losing to VaTech, Missouri (doubtful but possible in Columbia at night), TT, (again doubtful but possible), Baylor, Oklahoma, Kansas, and Colorado. I think we will win at least half of these, but that's still at least 7 games that we have a decent chance of losing. That said, I think his prediction of 8-5 is probably a safe one. We might gain a win or two, or lose one, but 8-5 is probably a good middle of the road prediction.

Griffihn's HC, Briles won 4 Texas 4A state titles in S-Ville, where Spano hails from. He will make Baylor better and once again, Texas kids have another option to stay at home and win in a big conference. NU needs to hit the CA, LA and Florida areas, because they will never get the 5 star kids from Texas at the skill spots. They can get the 2-3 star kids and occasional 4 stars, but not the top tier.

Sorry rknufu7, you're wrong.

T_O_B

Just leave him to his Dez Bryant obsession.

• 2 weeks later...

1. Your post makes absolutely no sense.

There's even MORE competition for the Huskers for "elite" talent in California, Florida, etc, than in Texas.

In Texas we're competing against UT and OU. And since most kids in Texas probably dream of playing for Texas, when they're not offered a scholly by the 'whorns they look elsewhere. Which means, it's between Oklahoma and Nebraska.

In California we're competing against: USC, Cal, UCLA and a host of other in state schools.

In Florida we're competing against: Miami, Florida State, Florida and to a degree UCF, USF.

2. To automatically assume that Baylor is on the way to becoming a Big 12 powerhouse simply because they hired some high school coach, who won a few state titles at the high school level, is absurd to say the least.

Name me one coach in Baylor's entire football history who turned that program into a consistent national power.

3. And finally, to say that Nebraska should stop recruiting Texas is so utterly sophomoric I'm not real sure what else I could say.

First I will say that the majority of Nebraska fans I have met are some of the best fans in america. Baylor wishes we had the history and tradition of Nebraska football, however the above statement was written without any general knowledge of our current coach, or our overall football history. No doubt, Nebraska has an upper hand in talent at this point, but we have more talent than Colorado. Just pick up any preseason magazine off of the shelf. Nearly all of them have us ranked above Colorado....and in no way is Colorado an automatic win for Nebraska, and vice-versa.

Art Briles is a high-school football legend in Texas, so yes he is some high school coach. But he also won a C-USA title while immediately turning around the U of H program; a program that hadn't gone bowling in 12 years. This also included a win over a good Oklahoma State team.

What coach has turned Baylor into a consistant national power? Well I wouldn't go as far as to say consistant "national power", but with Grant Teaff from 1974 till the early 90's, we won several SWC championships, and Texas NEVER beat us at home. We've also given Texas the worse beating they've ever recieved at their home 50-7. In recent years...we've sucked. But this team is legit, and Griffin is not the only threat. This team has 4 NFL drafts picks predicted for next year, and they're not even close to the more talented underclassmen. Also....if your competing with UCLA in Cali...then your competing with Baylor in Texas...we're ranked higher than UCLA in most of the rankings for 2009.

I think the BU-NU game could go either way. Good luck to both our programs.

Griffin is probably the scariest player in the open field with the ball in his hands in the conference. The fact that we make this LONG trip the week before Boomer comes to town can also be unnerving. And yes, fellow Skers Art Briles is building some kind of mumble down in Waco. However, the loss of both their tackles could put a lot more duress on Griffin this year. Also I don't envision Bo letting a "slip-up" happen contrary to the last staff. BUT, we do need to give props to Art, there is something going on in Waco.

:yeah Baylor's goin to be a very solid team within the next few years

i don't think we'll lose to em next year, but i definitely don't want to bet on that game.

**SNIP**

What coach has turned Baylor into a consistant national power? Well I wouldn't go as far as to say consistant "national power", but with Grant Teaff from 1974 till the early 90's, we won several SWC championships, and Texas NEVER beat us at home. We've also given Texas the worse beating they've ever recieved at their home 50-7. In recent years...we've sucked. But this team is legit, and Griffin is not the only threat. This team has 4 NFL drafts picks predicted for next year, and they're not even close to the more talented underclassmen. Also....if your competing with UCLA in Cali...then your competing with Baylor in Texas...we're ranked higher than UCLA in most of the rankings for 2009.

I think the BU-NU game could go either way. Good luck to both our programs.

Does it really count if you were the only school in the SWC that played by the rules and were the only one NOT on probation?

I kid, I kid.