Old School Husker Power - 245 FB is a wrecking machine!

My Nephew ran a 4.32 a few years ago...

He went to Lincoln for a couple of Summer camps (Jr. and Sr. year) and was Electronically timed at 4.61

When I saw the 4.32 claim I was going to call... :bs: ...on it as well but someone else beat me to it.

And then I saw where you said he was electronically timed at 4.61...which is much more believable.

There is a HUGE difference between an electronically timed 4.32 and 4.61.

Yeah..I seem to remember his best time at the Oregon school was 4.43..after he bulked up a bit.

I don't know if it was handheld, but for a small school, they had some nice facilities and went undefeated that year for their 3rd? national championship, so I just assumed it was electronic..(he redshirted that year).

Sorry to get so sidetracked.

I'm guessing this kid ran a 4.9 handheld (my 5.0 was and I was able to take a shortcut).

I'd also bet we have at least a dozen offensive linemen that can run a 4.9..unless we are still stodgy, slow, cornfed... whatever else those Florida fans said about us before the '95 Fiesta Bowl.

Just give the ball to Suh

Actually husker 37, there was only one offensive lineman at the combine that ran under a 5.0 second forty yd dash. that was our very own lydon murtha. tight ends/fullbacks coming out of high school probably only average about 4.8 - 4.9 seconds and that is the guys going to a d1 school.........

Once again the 40 yard dash is the most overhyped stat in the world. Yes it can be nice knowing some kid has speed but when during a game does that player strip down to his spandex put on their track shoes and run 40 yards? Pro agility times and 10 yardtimes are way more bigger inclinations of what kind of player you are getting. Change of direction and quick bursts, now you never see those aspects on Saturdays do you?

40-Yard Dash Ranking

Input your time in seconds and fraction of a second to an accuracy of one decimal place. Select your sport and position from the sport drop down menu and click the "Calculate" button. Your ranking against College Athletes will be displayed below.

Time 4.9 seconds

Sport Football - LB, S, FB, TE

Rank Average

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm not sure why the combine results seemed so slow this year..Maybe more accurate measurements? but I think I also heard it was bad track surfaces.

As seen on a Gatorboard site:

05-23-2009, 10:29 PM #11

gatorev12

Senior

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

An impressive video, to be sure. The kid is definitely a bruiser and has immense strength. Love the fact he seems to relish contact and the first guy won't bring him down very often. As a FB, he will do very well.

However, FB isn't really a position we recruit very much of and we already have two FBs on our team (Wilks and Pridemore). I realize Wilks is out with a season-ending injury, but it's just not a position we recruit very much of...and if we are recruiting a FB, then the guy needs to be good catching the ball out of the backfield (a point of emphasis this spring with both FBs). That video shows a lot of good things, but it doesn't tell us much about how he would play in our system. Didn't watch the whole thing, but didn't see him catching any passes out of the backfield, so that's one thing to find out...and most of the runs were off tackle or bounced out to the outside. Perfect for hs ball, but in the SEC, you won't make it that far unless your 40 time is a bit lower. Only saw a few up the middle runs or FB-type dives, and while he was impressive in them, we'll need to see more of that before we can make a proper evaluation about how well he fits with us.

This kid, Trevor, is the son of a guy who is a business associate of mine.

Is that why you've posted this video on every college football message board you could find? Not that I have a problem with grass roots recruiting trying to get someone to look at this kid, but if he's as good as you say shouldn't his play get him enough looks from colleges?

http://www.egriz.com/grizboard/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=37528

This kid, Trevor, is the son of a guy who is a business associate of mine.

Is that why you've posted this video on every college football message board you could find? Not that I have a problem with grass roots recruiting trying to get someone to look at this kid, but if he's as good as you say shouldn't his play get him enough looks from colleges?

http://www.egriz.com/grizboard/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=37528

Funny. "We" better get to "signing" him right away.

Good luck to the kid. If he's interested in walking on, have him contact the football offices (402) 472-3116.

Once again the 40 yard dash is the most overhyped stat in the world. Yes it can be nice knowing some kid has speed but when during a game does that player strip down to his spandex put on their track shoes and run 40 yards? Pro agility times and 10 yardtimes are way more bigger inclinations of what kind of player you are getting. Change of direction and quick bursts, now you never see those aspects on Saturdays do you?

A great 40 time is still important because it is still the best overall measure of pure speed.

However, your casual dismissal of a player's 40 time is foolish to say the least. Your argument is that in the game of football players wear pads and not spandex and track shoes which is of course true. Once the pads go on they affect players the same. So that RB that runs a 4.51 at the combine is now probably a 4.61. The DB running a 4.34 is now a 4.44. How is this important?

Let's put this discussion into football terms: When a RB breaks into the open field and is being chased by the backside safety the difference between a DB that can run a 4.34 versus a 4.48 could be the difference between making a tackle which prevents a touchdown or the RB scoring. You can apply this to other positional groups: LB's covering TE's, CB's covering WR's, etc.

Now, has the 40 time been somewhat over-hyped? Sure. But it ain't meaningless either.

A great 40 time is still important because it is still the best overall measure of pure speed.

However, your casual dismissal of a player's 40 time is foolish to say the least. Your argument is that in the game of football players wear pads and not spandex and track shoes which is of course true. Once the pads go on they affect players the same. So that RB that runs a 4.51 at the combine is now probably a 4.61. The DB running a 4.34 is now a 4.44. How is this important?

Let's put this discussion into football terms: When a RB breaks into the open field and is being chased by the backside safety the difference between a DB that can run a 4.34 versus a 4.48 could be the difference between making a tackle which prevents a touchdown or the RB scoring. You can apply this to other positional groups: LB's covering TE's, CB's covering WR's, etc.

Now, has the 40 time been somewhat over-hyped? Sure. But it ain't meaningless either.

Well the Guru of modern day Strength and Conditioning Programs, and the father of Husker Power, Boyd Epley would disagree with you.

Q: What is another problem you see in regard to strength and conditioning?

Epley: “We've focused on 40-yard dash all these years. Actually, 10-yard dash is much more important in identifying talent. Coaches are just hung up on what they've always done. If you don't beat an athlete in the first few steps, it doesn't matter what your 40 time is."

Omaha World Herald - Q & A with Boyd Epley: 'Tailor athletes' training'

Well the Guru of modern day Strength and Conditioning Programs, and the father of Husker Power, Boyd Epley would disagree with you.

Epley: “We've focused on 40-yard dash all these years. Actually, 10-yard dash is much more important in identifying talent. Coaches are just hung up on what they've always done. If you don't beat an athlete in the first few steps, it doesn't matter what your 40 time is."

I agree 100% with Boyd about the importance of those 1st 10 yards.

However, is being great at a ten yard dash any good if you can't sustain that speed for 30-50 yards?

I dunno, it seems to me that in a situation where a RB is racing down the sideline towards the endzone, a LB or DB's 40 time would certainly come into play because they're trying to catch him from behind.

Like I said, the 40 has been over-hyped...but it ain't meaningless either.

I agree 100% with Boyd about the importance of those 1st 10 yards.

However, is being great at a ten yard dash any good if you can't sustain that speed for 30-50 yards?

I dunno, it seems to me that in a situation where a RB is racing down the sideline towards the endzone, a LB or DB's 40 time would certainly come into play because they're trying to catch him from behind.

Like I said, the 40 has been over-hyped...but it ain't meaningless either.

I agree it doesn't hurt, but frankly I agree with Red Storm. Yes you would like players to have that "burst" once they get in the open field, but frankly how often do players get in that position out of all of the plays in a game? The 10 yard burst and shuttle times indicate how good a player will be at getting to the line, through the line, and past the second level of defenders. You have to do all of that every single play of the game as a IB, only when you get past the second level do you get to use the 40 yard speed.