Suh for Heisman? Why Not?

i dont think that an defensive lineman will ever win the hypesman trophy, no matter how good he is.

last one that was even close was DE from Pitt, a long time ago and i dont think he even got invited to NY.

cant remember his name to save my life right now though.

Maybe Hugh Green?

i dont think that an defensive lineman will ever win the hypesman trophy, no matter how good he is.

last one that was even close was DE from Pitt, a long time ago and i dont think he even got invited to NY.

Maybe Hugh Green?

Suh for the Heisman? I like it...I like it a lot. :w00t

You're right, it's not impossible for a defensive lineman to win the Heisman but it is highly improbable. The Heisman is an award where big numbers mean more than actual ability. For example, a DT like Suh could have 63 tackles, 6 sacks, 7 pass knock-downs, 3 forced fumbles and 4 TD's, while a QB could go 265 / 400 for 3,700+ yards, 27TD's and it'll be the QB who gets all the Heisman talk because the numbers are bigger.

Suh has as much of a chance of being invited to NY for the heisman as Bill Synder does getting a X-mas card from Bo. The award will always be focused around the skill players. D-tackle is just not that sexy of a position, nobody talks about how many tackles for loss a DT gets on a weekly basis. It is always about the QBs, especially this year with Tebow, McCoy and Bradford. Unless it is a completly dull year in terms of offensive statistics and competition, I don't think Suh gets a sniff. Hope I'm wrong......

Suh has as much of a chance of being invited to NY for the heisman as Bill Synder does getting a X-mas card from Bo. The award will always be focused around the skill players. D-tackle is just not that sexy of a position, nobody talks about how many tackles for loss a DT gets on a weekly basis. It is always about the QBs, especially this year with Tebow, McCoy and Bradford. Unless it is a completly dull year in terms of offensive statistics and competition, I don't think Suh gets a sniff. Hope I'm wrong......

This.

The Heisman Trophy is supposed to be given to the best college football player each year. Do you think any voters (or average fans for that matter) will want to see a Heisman winner that came from a defensive line? They would be like :bang . From this day forth it is always going to be somebody at a skilled position. Quarterbacks get the first look, then running backs, and then receivers. Thanks to the ridiculous amount of media coverage and media biased, we will probably never see a Heisman winner at a non-skill position again.

In addition to how improbable it is for a defensive player to win the Heisman (not to mention a DT), Suh could have a difficult time putting up eye-popping numbers this fall. Not saying he won't be dominant, but he'll be facing double and sometimes triple-teams all year long. He'll be the MVP of the Blackshirts (maybe even the team MVP), but the stats may not reflect it.

Maybe Hugh Green?

Suh for the Heisman? I like it...I like it a lot. :w00t

You're right, it's not impossible for a defensive lineman to win the Heisman but it is highly improbable. The Heisman is an award where big numbers mean more than actual ability. For example, a DT like Suh could have 63 tackles, 6 sacks, 7 pass knock-downs, 3 forced fumbles and 4 TD's, while a QB could go 265 / 400 for 3,700+ yards, 27TD's and it'll be the QB who gets all the Heisman talk because the numbers are bigger.

Or maybe Gerald McCoy because he had better numbers in high school!! :sarcasm

Here's the 2009 returning defensive players, ranked by Scout.com

(in order - best first)

S Taylor Mays, Jr. USC

DT Gerald McCoy, Soph. Oklahoma

S Eric Berry, Soph. Tennessee

LB Brandon Spikes, Jr. Florida

DE Jerry Hughes, Jr. TCU

DE Greg Hardy, Jr. Ole Miss

LB Eric Norwood, Jr. South Carolina

DT Terrence Cody, Jr. Alabama

LB Sean Weatherspoon, Jr. Missouri

DE George Selvie, Jr. USF

LB Navarro Bowman, Soph. Penn St

LB Mark Herzlich, Jr. BC

LB Greg Jones, Soph. Michigan St

LB Rennie Curran, Soph. Georgia

DT Ndamukong Suh, Jr. Nebraska (#30 overall)

Don't bet the farm on the Heisman...

(BTW - Charles Woodson - DB Michigan - was the only primarily defensive player to win the Heisman in 1997)

Here's the 2009 returning defensive players, ranked by Scout.com

(in order - best first)

S Taylor Mays, Jr. USC

DT Gerald McCoy, Soph. Oklahoma

S Eric Berry, Soph. Tennessee

LB Brandon Spikes, Jr. Florida

DE Jerry Hughes, Jr. TCU

DE Greg Hardy, Jr. Ole Miss

LB Eric Norwood, Jr. South Carolina

DT Terrence Cody, Jr. Alabama

LB Sean Weatherspoon, Jr. Missouri

DE George Selvie, Jr. USF

LB Navarro Bowman, Soph. Penn St

LB Mark Herzlich, Jr. BC

LB Greg Jones, Soph. Michigan St

LB Rennie Curran, Soph. Georgia

DT Ndamukong Suh, Jr. Nebraska (#30 overall)

Don't bet the farm on the Heisman...

(BTW - Charles Woodson - DB Michigan - was the only primarily defensive player to win the Heisman in 1997)

Considering Suh is projected to be a top 10 pick, I would say there are not 29 defensive players better than him.

Taylor Mays is a freak of nature and hard hitting, but he can't intercept the ball to save his life ( Zero interceptions last year)