Nebraska & Kansas Battle For the North

The most important game in the North this year probably will be KU v NU, saying that I can't see him playing that well with Suh and his friends knocking him around :box .

But who knows maybe Reesing will win heisman, but then again so could Suh.

Who cares? This stuff gets so old. I mean, I know we're all biased to an extent... but the "you didn't pick my team as high as I wanted, so you suck" stuff is just tiring. Phil Steele is the most accurate of preseason predictors. Just because he picks your team 4th doesn't mean anything. Big deal. He'll get plenty of his picks wrong, just like everyone does. He obviously has some reasoning for why he picked them that way. He does more research than 99% of everybody else. I personally think he's wrong (I think Kansas will finish first or second), but who knows. Much stranger things have happened.

Kansas went from a 12-1 in 2007 and returned a lot of key players last year, only to have a pretty disappointing 8-5 encore. Who's to say they couldn't have another disappointment this time around? Nobody knows, and that's the beauty of it. So take the preseason mags as a way to inform, interest and hopefully entertain you. But realize that even the most informed experts are still only guessing when it comes to who will win the close games.

It'll be interesting to see Steele's justification for the KSU pick when his mag comes out in a week. Since Bill Snyder basically admitted his team sucks, it's hard to imagine them having a winning season this year. Steele obviously feels they'll have their marbles together by November enough to win a close one (the game being in Manhattan helps the case).

Other than the Witt part, I liked it a lot. K-State is a WHACK pick. WHACK... They suck.

K-State is a whack pick... I think the saying that KU has a home game vs NU "reason enough to make Kansas an even better pick for first place" is a homer statement... I mean, yes, home field is important, but they have a tough big 12 schedule... So really i can't say that's reason enough for KU to be a BETTER pick.. We'll see how it turns out but he makes some comments like the prior and the Witt one that really take credibility away from his journalism... I mean, it's bad enough when a national article mentions the Lee v Witt battle at QB, but a big 12 NORTH writer? That's just a lack of knowledge....

Other than the Witt part, I liked it a lot. K-State is a WHACK pick. WHACK... They suck.

K-State is a whack pick... I think the saying that KU has a home game vs NU "reason enough to make Kansas an even better pick for first place" is a homer statement... I mean, yes, home field is important, but they have a tough big 12 schedule... So really i can't say that's reason enough for KU to be a BETTER pick.. We'll see how it turns out but he makes some comments like the prior and the Witt one that really take credibility away from his journalism... I mean, it's bad enough when a national article mentions the Lee v Witt battle at QB, but a big 12 NORTH writer? That's just a lack of knowledge....

1) Keegan is an unrepentant KU homer

2) No idea how he screwed up the Witt thing, he is normally very knowledgeable (albeit a homer). It does hurt his article a lot, especially on Husker sites...

3) Thinking KU or NU is a favorite in my view does not make one a homer (althugh that does seem to be a deciding factor for many), both teams/schedules/situations have their points...

4) Picking K-State anywhere in the top half by Steele show's the man is either a genius or is not paying attention to the North, and I would guess the latter.

I don't understand why Jayhawkers are surprised, the schedule for you guys is difficult. I can see KU losing 5 of the last 7 fairly easy. Texas, Oklahoma and Texas Tech are all superior teams. You may nip NU, only because that is a home game, but I think our D-line will dominate once again. KSU is a wild card because it's hard to know what to expect with Snyder except a heapin' helpin' of Jucos. CU has a lot of talent if Hawkins can keep them healthy and coach them up. Mizzou is also a wild card, but could be better than KU at that stretch of the season, after KU has taken a pounding. Look for KU to be 7-5/6-6.

They do?? Last time I checked they went 5-7, lost their best receiver and don't have a legitmate starting QB. Where do you see the talent?

Have a damn good TE, 2 stud frosh running backs, and loads of young talent. Remember how they raided our cupboard for the 2008 recruiting class and also got the top rb and lb? They lost about 20-25 kids last season prior to the NU-CU game due to injury and still almost beat NU. I am no means stating that the Buffs are awesome, but is a KU victory in Boulder a given? I don't think so.

I don't understand why Jayhawkers are surprised, the schedule for you guys is difficult. I can see KU losing 5 of the last 7 fairly easy. Texas, Oklahoma and Texas Tech are all superior teams. You may nip NU, only because that is a home game, but I think our D-line will dominate once again. KSU is a wild card because it's hard to know what to expect with Snyder except a heapin' helpin' of Jucos. CU has a lot of talent if Hawkins can keep them healthy and coach them up. Mizzou is also a wild card, but could be better than KU at that stretch of the season, after KU has taken a pounding. Look for KU to be 7-5/6-6.

They do?? Last time I checked they went 5-7, lost their best receiver and don't have a legitmate starting QB. Where do you see the talent?

Have a damn good TE, 2 stud frosh running backs, and loads of young talent. Remember how they raided our cupboard for the 2008 recruiting class and also got the top rb and lb? They lost about 20-25 kids last season prior to the NU-CU game due to injury and still almost beat NU. I am no means stating that the Buffs are awesome, but is a KU victory in Boulder a given? I don't think so.

And a Nebraska victory in Boulder is a given? Interesting......

I don't think he ever said that a Nebraska victory in Boulder was a given. Whether CU has a good team or not everytime they've played Nebraska its always been a close game and I think this years game we practically kepts CU in the game (Fake FG that was fumbled into a TD for CU to tie the game going into halftime). I don't think that both KU and NU will lose to CU this year just because of too much talent on both sides. Nebraska's defense will dominate against CU offense but I think it could be a toss up with CU's defense against our Offense. We have Helu, Quentin, Hickman, Williams, McNeil, Smith back offense but losing Huff, Murtha, Slausen, Ganz, Swift, Peterson it'll be quite interesting to see how our offense will do this fall.

Where did I say this? Fact is the Huskers are 3-2 in the last 5 against the Buffs, hardly bragging rights. I think the Huskers may win this one, but I can't say that NU or KU will beat them handily, or at all, with certainty.

Where did I say this? Fact is the Huskers are 3-2 in the last 5 against the Buffs, hardly bragging rights. I think the Huskers may win this one, but I can't say that NU or KU will beat them handily, or at all, with certainty.

Never said you said it. Just making sure we're on the same page with the CU game. I've said from the beginning, the CU game(s) in boulder, will be even bigger than the KU/NU games. If one of our teams lose to CU, then bye bye North division. That's a given.

I don't think he ever said that a Nebraska victory in Boulder was a given. Whether CU has a good team or not everytime they've played Nebraska its always been a close game and I think this years game we practically kepts CU in the game (Fake FG that was fumbled into a TD for CU to tie the game going into halftime). I don't think that both KU and NU will lose to CU this year just because of too much talent on both sides. Nebraska's defense will dominate against CU offense but I think it could be a toss up with CU's defense against our Offense. We have Helu, Quentin, Hickman, Williams, McNeil, Smith back offense but losing Huff, Murtha, Slausen, Ganz, Swift, Peterson it'll be quite interesting to see how our offense will do this fall.

I agree that the CU game will be tough, throw in the fact that you guys are also rivals just adds to the degree bof difficulty in Boulder. That's why I'm being very cautious about proclaiming a victory over MU in 09. That game at Arrowhead between KU/MU will be no gimme, and history shows that the underdog usually wins. <_<

I didn't say a victory for KU was a given. I just stated that I don't see the "loads of talent" you suggest. Also, I pointed out that supposed talent doesn't always equal wins, as I'm sure an old Raider's coach will testify to. Sure, you can point to their injuries last year as an excuse for the lack of wins, but every other team faces the same problem. A team with any amount of talent is able to fight through this kind of adversity, unfortunately the Cream Buffs didn't have it.

The halls of Folsom Field are filled with high school talent that didn't quite measure up, and I haven't seen anything coming out of Boulder recently that would prove to me things have changed. Darrell Scott was supposedly all-world, but he looked more like Ralphies little b@tch each time he carried the ball!! Shortly though, we'll see who, if anybody, steps up and proves whether or not the Buffs have talent. Until then, GBR!!

I didn't say a victory for KU was a given. I just stated that I don't see the "loads of talent" you suggest. Also, I pointed out that supposed talent doesn't always equal wins, as I'm sure an old Raider's coach will testify to. Sure, you can point to their injuries last year as an excuse for the lack of wins, but every other team faces the same problem. A team with any amount of talent is able to fight through this kind of adversity, unfortunately the Cream Buffs didn't have it.

The halls of Folsom Field are filled with high school talent that didn't quite measure up, and I haven't seen anything coming out of Boulder recently that would prove to me things have changed. Darrell Scott was supposedly all-world, but he looked more like Ralphies little b@tch each time he carried the ball!! Shortly though, we'll see who, if anybody, steps up and proves whether or not the Buffs have talent. Until then, GBR!!

Exactly, I couldn't care less if they are any good, just stating they played the Huskers tough last year despite losing so many guys and having some highly touted prospects. Who knows if they will be any good, but I could see them pulling together a game and beating KU at home, which was the original point of me stating that. Back to the crux of the statement, the Huskers = awesome. :wasted

1) Keegan is an unrepentant KU homer

2) No idea how he screwed up the Witt thing, he is normally very knowledgeable (albeit a homer). It does hurt his article a lot, especially on Husker sites...

3) Thinking KU or NU is a favorite in my view does not make one a homer (althugh that does seem to be a deciding factor for many), both teams/schedules/situations have their points...

4) Picking K-State anywhere in the top half by Steele show's the man is either a genius or is not paying attention to the North, and I would guess the latter.

Fair enough on #1.. I really know nothing about the guy, just know that i read... Saying that one or the other is a FAVORITE is where I think someone is coming off as a homer.. Sure, picking them 1 over NU @ 2 is fine, saying that they can flip flop and there aren't a lot of difference b/w where they will finish.. and saying one is a favorite over the other is a difference IMO, but journalists do have to make their picks so i guess there is really no way to be overly critical about something like that.. I'm just nit picking too much

Exactly, I couldn't care less if they are any good, just stating they played the Huskers tough last year despite losing so many guys and having some highly touted prospects. Who knows if they will be any good, but I could see them pulling together a game and beating KU at home, which was the original point of me stating that. Back to the crux of the statement, the Huskers = awesome. :wasted

Colorado is one of those teams that, regardless of how poorly their season is going, when they play Nebraska they give maximum 100% effort on every snap. The sad thing is that it seems that all the other schools in the Big 12 North all have the "Colorado" mentality...beat Nebraska at all costs and to heck with all of the other games. Which to me explains why the north, outside of Nebraska, has been consistently mired in mediocrity.