The troubling, widening gap between Texas and Nebraska

I agree that this is a trend that needs to be addressed. However, we are hardly in an untenable position. This part of the article is worth reading again:

NU had the upper hand for more than 30 years, 1970-2001, winning five national titles to Texas’ zero, playing in countless more title games (UT played in one and lost to Notre Dame) winning one more Heisman Trophy, more O’Brien Awards, more Lombardis, more Outlands, you name it. But UT, right now, simply does football better, and has since 2002.

The reality is, it doesn't matter how much money you have if you don't spend it wisely. Texas sits amid an embarrassment of football riches, but they squander those riches by failing to produce consistently world-beating teams. Even in the midst of the worst era of Husker football in my lifetime, we lost to Texas two times by a total of five points. And that was with ridiculous coaching and inflexible game plans.

Texas can double or even triple our income. It won't matter a hill of beans until they start to dominate on the field.

Add to that knapplc that UNL's Athletic Department is one of the absolute few that is in the Black all by itself. Oh and UNL seems to be able to spend a good amount on recruiting and the facilities for Football are amongst the best in the nation period. Heck the Stadium has more vision boards now than some NFL teams. Sure UNL doesn't pull in the same amount of revenue at UT, but the financial foundation is very solid and UNL seems to be able to keep up with everyone, and even lead the pack in many cases, in top of the line facilities.

Wait until Brown retires and Muschamp takes over at Texas. He'll bring the Longhorns down for a few years.

If you think about it, what has Mack Brown really done at Texas? He's won one MNC because he had one of the greatest college QBs ever. He's won four Big XII Championships, if I'm counting correctly. That's about it. That's not bad, but that's hardly someone I'm concerned about.

Wow. I knew Texas had bank, but good grief! That's just ridiculous. Something needs to be changed. I do know that KU would be close to the bottom with CU and KSU if it wasn't for Lew "Money Bags" Perkins and his wheeling and dealing. The guy is the best....and the worst thing that could of happened to KU. Worst because a lot (including me) of long time basketball season ticket holders were forced to give up their seats due to the new "point system Lew put in. My family would of had to come up with $35,000 just to keep our tickets for another year.

Long story short, we chose to ditch the tickets and buy a flat screen tv instead.

I agree that this is a trend that needs to be addressed. However, we are hardly in an untenable position. This part of the article is worth reading again:

NU had the upper hand for more than 30 years, 1970-2001, winning five national titles to Texas’ zero, playing in countless more title games (UT played in one and lost to Notre Dame) winning one more Heisman Trophy, more O’Brien Awards, more Lombardis, more Outlands, you name it. But UT, right now, simply does football better, and has since 2002.

The reality is, it doesn't matter how much money you have if you don't spend it wisely. Texas sits amid an embarrassment of football riches, but they squander those riches by failing to produce consistently world-beating teams. Even in the midst of the worst era of Husker football in my lifetime, we lost to Texas two times by a total of five points. And that was with ridiculous coaching and inflexible game plans.

Texas can double or even triple our income. It won't matter a hill of beans until they start to dominate on the field.

Texas does dominate on the field. It's now begun to happen in baseball, too.

Life feels good these days at Nebraska. And it should. We may not run the option anymore, but with TO and Bo running the program, we are doing things the way we used to do them. That will only lead to success on the field. It must be acknoledged, however, that the program and the team fell very far in the few years that Callahan ran the show, so far that our close games against Texas had to viewed as flukes born from the fact that the Horns didn't take us seriously. Colorado used to, well, they still do brag about their close games with NU without realizing that it was hard for Nebraska to get up for those games in many years.

They've been dominating everyone everywhere in baseball for decades. This is nothing new.

In football they have no more accomplishments to show for all of their advantages than Nebraska had in the 1980s, and they have no more accomplishments this decade than does Oklahoma, who, like Nebraska, trails Texas in money.

This report is no reason to press the panic button. It bears watching, but should not be viewed with anxiety.

It wont make sense to cancel the golf program when the university has a professional golf management program for students to graduate with; I don't know how many on the golf team members are pursuing this degree, but UNL is one of only 20 universities in this country with this type of degree.

Just something to think about...

unl

They've been dominating everyone everywhere in baseball for decades. This is nothing new.

In football they have no more accomplishments to show for all of their advantages than Nebraska had in the 1980s, and they have no more accomplishments this decade than does Oklahoma, who, like Nebraska, trails Texas in money.

This report is no reason to press the panic button. It bears watching, but should not be viewed with anxiety.

Agreed!!

What do they have to show for all the extra money? Absolutely nothing. Sure, it needs to be taken into consideration, especially because they are the Husker's direct competitors, but if the results aren't showing the extra money makes any difference in the outcome, there's no need to panic. I'd also like to point out that luck plays a big part in winning championships and that's one thing money can't buy!!

It wont make sens to cancel the golf program when the university has a professional golf management program for students to graduate with; I don't know how many on the golf team are pursuing this degree, but UNL is one of only 20 universities in this country with this type of degree.

Just something to think about...

unl

Didn't I bring this up before and was shouted down? Texas kids wanna play in Texas, so if Baylor, improves the kids will stay there... NU and the North schools are actually competing with TCU and UH for 0-3 star Texas kids most of the time, while UT, OU and LSU are getting the best 3-5 star kids from here. I am a native Austinite, UT grad and a Big Red fan since childhood, but facts are facts. Hard to beat UT, OU or even Baylor, Tech or OSU if they are getting better Texas kids. The key is to get the walkon program rolling again for depth and a few hidden gems, lock down all instate talent, hit Big 12 north and beat out the Iowas, Missouris and Kansases for for great talent next door, then we must hit on some 3-5 star RBs, WRs, TEs and QBs and defensive skill players from CA, AZ, LA, TX, FLA, GA, SC, OH, PA, NJ... What made us successful, minus the partial and non-qualifiers can be repeated, with better recruiting.

This is a BIG state vs SMALL state problem, and it is nationwide. Pac 10, is dominated by the CA/USC Trojans, not Oregon, WA or AZ teams. The SEC is dominated by FLA, not UGA, Tenn and LSU is great, why, because it borders Texas and recruits nationally. Big 10, its OH and PA dominating. ACC, the FLA are in Flux, but VA Tech dominates because of size and recruiting. More folks, state schools, more alumns and fans, bigger TV ratings. Why do you thing ABC allowed UT move up the Tech game to early season when the Red Raider might likely be ranked as opposed to later, when they will not be ranked with 3-5 losses? UT has POWER and INFLUENCE!!! The fact that Mack Brown has 1 conference title in 11 years is a JOKE! He is in GRAVY train land in Austin, excellent weather, talent galore, 700K folks in the city more than a millon in metro, state capital, load of alumns, 90k stadium... He has it all, but has just 1 big 12 title to OU's 6 in lil bitty, cold weather Norman!!! Bo can do it, just like the other Youngstown, Big 10 safety did at OU!!! Fred Akers played for the MNC twice, 78 Cotton Bowl vs Nd and 1984 Cotton vs Georgia. His 1982 Cotton Bowl team finished 2nd. Texas wasn't defunct all the time.