Huskers a default favorite?

I'm afraid I agree with Shatel...

Shatel: Huskers might be default favorite

When it comes to the Big 12 North, it’s not about guessing the winner so much as figuring out who’s going to crawl from the wreckage.

The thinking men and women of the Big 12 news media have picked Nebraska. I wholeheartedly agree.

In 2010.

With a truckload of veterans returning and a schedule that includes Texas without Colt McCoy and Oklahoma State without everybody, I look for the Huskers to break through with a North title next year.

This year?

Take that media poll with a grain of salt and pass the pepper. Nebraska is a reach to win the North this year.

Then again, who isn’t?

Nebraska. Kansas. Missouri. Colorado. Flip a coin. Throw a dart. They have strengths. They have weaknesses. They have schedule issues. They have questions.

Whoever finds the most answers wins.

What makes the media think that’s Nebraska?

First, this is more of a vote against KU’s schedule than for Big Red. The Jayhawks have to play Oklahoma, Texas and Texas Tech — the latter two on the road. Most assume the South will pin Mark Mangino with three losses.

But those 17 first-place votes also were an endorsement for Bo Pelini. It says they think the man can coach a little bit. That would be very observant.

Pelini earned that confidence in his first season. He installed a new defense and instilled a new way to play. The Huskers had their meltdowns. But by season’s end, they were fundamentally better and getting stronger.

Missourians who shake their noggins at how NU could be favored must have missed the second half of the season. They definitely missed how the Blackshirts played against KU, which was better than Mizzou fared against the Jayhawks.

Nebraska has every right to think the defense will be better in 2009. The reason is the front four. It looks good. A dominant front four is at the top of any coach’s wish list. Figure that out, and everything else falls into place.

The Huskers should be able to block and run. I-backs Roy Helu and Quentin Castille might be the two most underrated players in the league. Not for long.

So what’s the question?

NU has a quarterback who’s never played. Zac Lee may be wonderful. But who knows? Will he manage or melt? It’s a lot to expect a new quarterback — especially one breaking in new receivers — to play consistently enough to win a division.

Can Pelini win a big road game? The Gator Bowl was. Before that? Kansas State? Iowa State? To win the North, NU is going to have to take at least two of three at Missouri, Kansas and Colorado. The Huskers haven’t won at MU or KU in what seems like forever. The Buffs are one long kick from a two-game winning streak against Nebraska.

And don’t forget a little Halloween visit to Baylor. For once, a trip to Bear land looks scary.

Finally, here in Year 2 of the Pelini Project, NU doesn’t have the depth that survives championship hauls.

Then again, who does?

Missouri? I’m sure Gary Pinkel has recruited well. But he loses too much: the greatest playmakers in school history on offense and both coordinators. Derrick Washington might be the next Mike Rozier. But since when does Pinkel feel comfortable with a rushing offense? This is the coach who has used empty backfields on the goal line, who wouldn’t punch it in against Oklahoma State last year.

Colorado? The Buffs are dangerous. They’ve got sleek running backs, a coach on the hot seat, decent defense and all the key players in the North visiting Boulder. If they get any quarterback play at all, this is a team that could sneak in there. A lot of ifs, yes. Join the club.

Kansas? There’s magic in Todd Reesing and two playmakers at receiver, and there’s a decent run game and defense. Good coaching. Everything here is solid. Can KU steal one at Texas Tech? Can the Jayhawks win the games you have to win to win a title? Can a school that hasn’t played in a Big 12 title game handle the pressure of being the favorite?

Oh, that’s right. KU isn’t the favorite.

I completely 100 percent agree, with the exception of missouri being tossed in there. I had Missouri going 5-7, but others may see them as a contender for the north still. If KU can win just 1 of those 3 road games...our game with them becomes just that much more important.

I had the 4 teams finish in this order

1. Nebraska

2. Colorado

3. Kansas

4. Missouri

I thought it was fair, at least the article's assesment of CU, most of our key games are home games this year, we should be able to run the ball if our quarterback can just make play action a threat we could be there in the end.

I know people are concerned about your QB play this season, but how much of their ineffectiveness was caused by all the injuries to OL last year? Weren't you guys down to about your 4th string OL at some time during the season? I don't think your QB's are nearly as bad as a lot of people try to make them out to be. If you guys don't catch the injury bug again this year, it wouldn't be surprising to see a big run for CU. However at the end of the day, no matter who wins the North this year they will more than likely be nothing more than fodder in the Big 12 Championship game.

Missourians who shake their noggins at how NU could be favored must have missed the second half of the season. They definitely missed how the Blackshirts played against KU, which was better than Mizzou fared against the Jayhawks.

This type of crap always makes me laugh. :lol:

Hey Tom, maybe its just because we saw NE needed a miricle 57 yrd FG to beat CU. Nebraskans must have missed theTigers playing the Buffs, in which MU fared much better than NE beating the Buffs 58-0.

Hey Tom, maybe its just because we saw NE needed a miricle 57 yrd FG to beat CU. Nebraskans must have missed theTigers playing the Buffs, in which MU fared much better than NE beating the Buffs 58-0.

Yeah, only 20 yards longer than the field goal needed by Missou to send it into overtime against the Big 10 Powerhouse that is Northwestern.

Yeah, only 20 yards longer than the field goal needed by Missou to send it into overtime against the Big 10 Powerhouse that is Northwestern.

quite a bit of a difference between 37 and 57...almost as much as this reach attempt to make a point.

To bad Northwestern was a top 25 team and Colorado was not even bowl eligible, then it really might have hit gold.

Nice try though, you get a B for effort

quite a bit of a difference between 37 and 57...almost as much as this reach attempt to make a point.

To bad Northwestern was a top 25 team and Colorado was not even bowl eligible, then it really might have hit gold.

Yeah...that wasn't the point.

The point was that at the beginning of the season, Missou was in the running at competing with the big boys down south. The talk was with all the talent they had, they may even have a shot at the national championship. However, a few blowouts later and they are in the Alamo Bowl, barely squeaking by Northwestern in OT.

2008 was arguably the most talent Missou has had on their team for a loooooong time. What happened?

Yeah...that wasn't the point.

The point was that at the beginning of the season, Missou was in the running at competing with the big boys down south. The talk was with all the talent they had, they may even have a shot at the national championship. However, a few blowouts later and they are in the Alamo Bowl, barely squeaking by Northwestern in OT.

2008 was arguably the most talent Missou has had on their team for a loooooong time. What happened?

it fell to sh*t, thats what happend. A horrible choice to change D schemes, couple bad breaks, a QB who made it seem like all the talk went to his head.

They didnt do as well as many had hoped but "limping" to a 10 win season isnt that bad. Yeah your not happy with the end result per say, but overall your happy with how things have goon. We come from two different worlds. Sometimes people have a hard time understanding NE fans, and I am sure you guys dont alway get us and others. But you have to know what I was a fan of for years and years before wins started coming...

it fell to sh*t, thats what happend. A horrible choice to change D schemes, couple bad breaks, a QB who made it seem like all the talk went to his head.

They didnt do as well as many had hoped but "limping" to a 10 win season isnt that bad. Yeah your not happy with the end result per say, but overall your happy with how things have goon. We come from two different worlds. Sometimes people have a hard time understanding NE fans, and I am sure you guys dont alway get us and others. But you have to know what I was a fan of for years and years before wins started coming...

True. 10 wins for Missou is a great season. But I would be very upset at the coaching staff for not doing more with such great talent.

We shall see how the season plays out this year.

True. 10 wins for Missou is a great season. But I would be very upset at the coaching staff for not doing more with such great talent.

We shall see how the season plays out this year.

Thats why alot of tiger fans are happy about the change in D-cordinator, Pinkle gives his cords alot of room to do as they wish and Coach E. sucked hind tit for years.

You wont have to wait to long. I am not really sure what to expect. Its tough to say without seeing the teams in action. Really, though if I had to say what I thought MU would do this year, I would say its inbetween. Not as bad as some say, not as good as others. Right in the middle. Somewhere around 7-8 wins. It could be a couple worse than that or a couple better. it all depends on how things break out. But thats what makes it fun huh?