I feel Sorry for Burkes

Regardless, I can tell you that even if your buddy actually did have a convo with Jai (which I STRONGLY doubt) that what you were told is incorrect.

Burkes said it was a heart problem and he has lost 100 lbs. He could be BSing if he wanted to, not sure

Just stating what I was told buddy (and for the "sake of clarification", you were pretty much doing the same)..... And why exactly are you the end all, be all here? Maybe you have bad info and I'm right...? Either way, Its sucks that Jaivario is gone from the team, Would have been a great addition to the line

And why exactly are you the end all, be all here? Maybe you have bad info and I'm right...?

And this is the big problem with message boards. Big Willie is talking like he's someone who knows Burkes, and he might, but how do we know that? He could be the Pope for all we know.

And why exactly are you the end all, be all here? Maybe you have bad info and I'm right...?

And this is the big problem with message boards. Big Willie is talking like he's someone who knows Burkes, and he might, but how do we know that? He could be the Pope for all we know.

Exactly.... We all belive want we want to belive. All rumors till "Jai" actually says what happened to thhe public

I just wanted to let people know that telling people about someone else's medical problem that came from the horse's mouth isn't in violation of the person's medical privacy necessarily.

That is true, but it is still a very touchy gray line to be walking on.

The mistake I made was approaching this from a health information manager's perspective.

Going forward, I would highly recommend to everyone who reads this thread to be careful about what they say, to their friends or on an internet message board, regarding medical information they hear either from, or about, someone.

Bottom line: With regards to medical information you may hear about someone...the best course of action is to err on the side of caution and not say anything to anyone.

And a thousand apologies for not concisely articulating this point: While HIPAA's scope does not cover the incident we're discussing here, there are civil suits still available to someone who believes their medical information has been wrongfully disclosed.

However, as I said previously, and C N Red & BigRedfxtoy have reiterated, this whole situation with JB is kind of a gray and murky area of the law where people should tread lightly.

It's not murky at all. Any judge with any sense at all would throw a civil suit out in a minute. Once information on the street left JB's mouth, it was made public. How can someone sue via a civil suit when the one disclosing their medical information was themselves to someone on the street they may or may not have known? This is a case of making a mountain out of a molehill.

Just stating what I was told buddy (and for the "sake of clarification", you were pretty much doing the same)..... And why exactly are you the end all, be all here? Maybe you have bad info and I'm right...? Either way, Its sucks that Jaivario is gone from the team, Would have been a great addition to the line

BigWillie's is 100% correct. he is "the end all, be all", because he's right.

don't get me wrong, you have every right to say what you heard, and what you think... but your info was wrong.... no harm, no foul. :cheers

It's not murky at all. Any judge with any sense at all would throw a civil suit out in a minute. Once information on the street left JB's mouth, it was made public. How can someone sue via a civil suit when the one disclosing their medical information was themselves to someone on the street they may or may not have known? This is a case of making a mountain out of a molehill.

i've had a mole in my yard for about 2 months now, my dog killed one, but i can't get rid of the other(s).... its really making me mad.

anyone have any suggestions?

BigWillie's is 100% correct. he is "the end all, be all", because he's right.

don't get me wrong, you have every right to say what you heard, and what you think... but your info was wrong.... no harm, no foul. :cheers

Dont get me wrong.... But till you say "I'm Bo Pelini, and your wrong!" then your the same as BigWillie. Another guy/girl that no one knows (like me lol), that has info that could be BS

Dont get me wrong.... But till you say "I'm Bo Pelini, and your wrong!" then your the same as BigWillie. Another guy/girl that no one knows (like me lol), that has info that could be BS

true, but my info is not bs

to be honest though, i am Bo Pelini..... in spirit :restore:bonez:w00t

Okay, how about this...

You have a problem with alcohol and you're being responsible about it and seeking medical help. You tell a friend about it who then tells someone else and then that someone posts it on an internet message board.

Did you really think that what you told your supposed friend, more than likely in confidence, would end up on a public forum like an internet message board?

Would you feel like your privacy has been invaded?

Again, while no specific provision of HIPAA has been violated, there are other courses of action you could take via civil suit. Now, as to the merit of your case; that's what I'm talking about when I say it's a murky gray area. One judge might throw the case out while another might rule in your favor.

The one point I'm trying to get across to you, and everyone else, here: Be very careful, err on the side of caution, when thinking about disseminating a person's medical information.

Here's a great example...

Medical Information

In this case, Senator Dodd himself is disclosing his condition in a press conference and therefore it is truly public domain now and can be discussed at length.

Javario Burkes on the other hand didn't hold a press conference...at least not yet and therefore still has a somewhat limited expectation of privacy.

Thread hijack alert. Thread hijack alert.

i've had a mole in my yard for about 2 months now, my dog killed one, but i can't get rid of the other(s).... its really making me mad.

anyone have any suggestions?

I hear this guy is available.

large_Caddyshack_Karl_Spackler.jpg

Seriously what I do is to make sure you put grub killer on your lawn. No food for the mole, no mole.

I along with apparently a lot of other people disagree with your point. There's quite an uprising at Apple Computer company because of this. Steve Jobs and Apple didn't disclose his medical problems to the investors of Apple Inc., and it has caused a lot of tension. Everytime Cheney had so much as a heart murmer, it was disclosed to the American public. While Burkes doesn't compare to these people with the importance of their jobs, there's absolutely nothing wrong with disclosing medical information told by the person in question on the street. I think we can all agree that medical information shouldn't be released by hospitals and medical staff without the consent of the patient. However, this isn't the case. Apparently, Burkes disclosed the information himself which makes it public. If he didn't want the information out there, he wouldn't have answered the question. I see absolutely nothing wrong with what the poster posted.

You can disagree with me all you want...

It doesn't change the fact that federal, and state, laws prohibit unauthorized disclosure of a person's protected health information, (PHI).

If you do disclose that type of PHI, and you do not have permission in writing, then you are breaking the law...plain and simple.

To your point about Steve Jobs and Apple, because it also pertains to the Javario situation:

Decide whether to give your permission before your information can be used or shared for certain purposes:

In general, your health information cannot be given to your employer, used or shared for things like sales calls or advertising, or used or shared for many other purposes unless you give your permission by signing an authorization form. This authorization form must tell you who will get your information and what your information will be used for.

If you want to read up on what the law says, start here ---- >HIPAA

Huh? HIPAA only covers certain institutions defined in the regulations, i.e., "covered entities"; mostly health care providers. HIPAA and fair hiring practices laws don't cover every Joe off the street; only certain institutions under conditions stated in the law.

Not about legal validity, junior. Matter of common courtesy. I don't want everything I tell my friends to be made public. It's ESPECIALLY pertinent because of the sensitivity/private nature of the issue. Then, I'm not a D1 football player.