Kansas Vs. Nebraska Offensive Analysis

Seriously... And you know this is true... every single person or sight that predicts KU will win the North points to the fact that their skill position players on offense are SOOO much better than ours. I just don't but it. QBs- Yes, Reesing has proven dependable and tough, with a hell of a lot of heart for somebody his size, but based on what we're hearing about Zach Lee, what we saw of him in the spring game, and his JUCO career (went to JUCO State Championship game at CCSF)... I honestly think Lee has the much higher ceiling and will be the far better QB.

RBs- Jake Sharp is pretty good... He amassed 860 yards and 12 touchdowns last year, but honestly, with Helu and Q both hungry to tote the rock more than last year and split carries, You've got to think we trump KU in the RB department. They have no depth behind Sharp, with a sophomore and two freshman. Crawford got kicked off team and the third RB from last year, Angus Quigley, pulled a Cody Glenn and switched to LB. Freaking Mangino... hope OUR MOVE doesn't work for you! <_<

WRs- Alright, Dezmon Briscoe IS a stud. He is EVERYTHING they say he is... he's their best offensive weapon. But his status with the team is still unclear after being suspended, and Mangino even acknowledged that he has a few hurdles to clear to see his way back onto the field this year. Kerry Meier has played extremely well for a converted QB, putting together 97 receptions for 1045 yds and 8 touchdowns, but I feel the same way about him as I do Reesing... they're productive, but not as physically gifted as some of our unproven players. You've got to say, especially if they lose Briscoe, we own them here, too. Physically, at least... experience would probably go to them.

TE, OL- Honestly, with our depth and talent at TE, we totally OWN whoever Kansas puts out there... I couldn't even find who played TE for them most of last season. Wasn't it a freshman from Nebraska, of all places? Our O Line has less depth than TE, but on the whole is more experienced and talented than their O line. Our D Line feast on their O Line... we'll probably hit them like a Suhnami. :bonez

Don't even get me started defensively. They have one playmaker... Stuckey. They lost all three linebackers and didn't have a good D line to begin with. It's clear... we should own them this year. :restore

I assume that most are focusing on the fact that we have a QB that has yet to play a major role in a Big Time Division 1 game and KU has a battle tested quarterback.....

But...I see Lee getting more than enough game experience with away games at Va Tech, Missouri, and Baylor.....so if he isn't ready to play KU by then...yes we'll have a problem.

Same with or Wrs. They should be set to go!

I think it'll be a tough race but with all honesty (not blind optimism) I can see NU taking the north this year.

Whoa whoa whoa. Slow down a bit. It's very unlikely that Zac Lee will be a better quarterback than Reesing. I know hope springs eternal in the fall but this is a bit ridiculous.

Oh no...that wasn't what I was trying to say...I was simply saying that he (Lee) wouldn't be an untested newbie by the time Nebraksa played Kansas and I think that will even the playing field considerably.

Whoa whoa whoa. Slow down a bit. It's very unlikely that Zac Lee will be a better quarterback than Reesing. I know hope springs eternal in the fall but this is a bit ridiculous.

Oh no...that wasn't what I was trying to say...I was simply saying that he (Lee) wouldn't be an untested newbie by the time Nebraksa played Kansas and I think that will even the playing field considerably.

That wasn't directed towards your post. It was directed to this one by dudeguyy:

"I honestly think Lee has the much higher ceiling and will be the far better QB."

Not only better . . . which is probably a stretch . . . but FAR better? Come on.

If you wanted to start a pissing match with JGS or jayhawker or any other KU fan on this board, why not just make a thread titled "KU Sucks and We're That Much Better Than Them"?

Fact is, KU has a very good offense that produces. Athelic ability aside, the numbers show they're productive and we have a lot to prove. Nate Swift and Todd Peterson were not athelitcally gifted, but made the plays and thats what KU's offense basically does. Hard to argue with the offensive numbers they put up.

I do agree their D is a question mark, especially the LB's, which will need to step up big time for them, but that game will be one of the toughest on the schedule, like it or not.

It's not THAT ridiculous, plus I think he meant in terms of their overall careers.

It's pretty ridiculous. He COULD POSSIBLY be better than Reesing . . . but Reesing has been there and done that. Reesing gets the nod unless proven otherwise.

Returning QB's

Quarterback Yards TDs Pct.

Bradford (Jr) 4720 50 .679

Reesing (Sr) 3888 32 .665

McCoy (Sr) 3859 34 .767

Robinson (Sr) 3064 25 .650

Arnaud (Jr) 2792 15 .616

Johnson (Jr) 2435 21 .595

Griffin (So) 2091 15 .599

Hawkins (Jr) 1892 17 .572

My problem with a Kansas to win the north pick is this: they don't play defense. They ranked 90th in total defense giving up nearly 400 yards per game. 273 through the air and an additional 123 on the ground. Granted, we play in a piss poor defensive conference at present, and we run a lot of spread, but these numbers aren't just twiddling in the wind with no significance. Everyone scores points in the Big XII. It's no trick to do that anymore. Question is can you stop it?

I expect Nebraska's defense to improve from where it was at the Gator Bowl last season. I also expect Nebraska's offense to kill clock and put a reasonable amount of points on the board. I don't know if Lee will have Ganz's clutch play ability, but if he's half the game manager Ganz was with superior physical tools, we should be okay.

It's not THAT ridiculous, plus I think he meant in terms of their overall careers.

It's pretty ridiculous. He COULD POSSIBLY be better than Reesing . . . but Reesing has been there and done that. Reesing gets the nod unless proven otherwise.

Returning QB's

Quarterback Yards TDs Pct.

Bradford (Jr) 4720 50 .679

Reesing (Sr) 3888 32 .665

McCoy (Sr) 3859 34 .767

Robinson (Sr) 3064 25 .650

Arnaud (Jr) 2792 15 .616

Johnson (Jr) 2435 21 .595

Griffin (So) 2091 15 .599

Hawkins (Jr) 1892 17 .572

Not to be carping, but I beg to differ. Of course Reesing is "the man" right now, no one is arguing that, but predicting that Lee will be better is just isn't so outlandish as to be considered "ridiculous."

We shall see, won't we? I for one am excited to see what he can do with two years at the helm.

Reesing ranks between the Hypsman winner and the third place finisher last year.

Saying a unproven QB from Nebraska could or will be better is total homerism at its highest.

Reesing is arguably one of the top QB's in the country with a team that is not on the level of Texas or Oklahoma and still put up great numbers.

I love our Huskers, but Lee can not carry Reesing Jock at this time. Proof is in the playing, he will have to show us for me to believe he is better or will be better. Reesings ability is proven, his heart is proven.

I think questioning the LB's should bring light that ours are pretty untested to.

This will be a very tough game.

Reesing ranks between the Hypsman winner and the third place finisher last year.

Saying a unproven QB from Nebraska could or will be better is total homerism at its highest.

Reesing is arguably one of the top QB's in the country with a team that is not on the level of Texas or Oklahoma and still put up great numbers.

I love our Huskers, but Lee can not carry Reesing Jock at this time. Proof is in the playing, he will have to show us for me to believe he is better or will be better. Reesings ability is proven, his heart is proven.

I think questioning the LB's should bring light that ours are pretty untested to.

Can't argue with that. Any self-respecting rational football fan would have to give Reesing an emphatic nod at the QB position based on experience alone. And if you have any doubts, watch the symphony he conducted against Mizzery last season. 37/51 (72%) for 375 yards and four touchdowns. And it wasn't only the numbers; it was the broken play ability to make magic happen. All told, he's a very solid quarterback in a league full of them. Nobody knows where Lee will top out, but preseason hype means diddly next to Reesing's experience and stats.

Can't argue with that. Any self-respecting rational football fan would have to give Reesing an emphatic nod at the QB position based on experience alone. And if you have any doubts, watch the symphony he conducted against Mizzery last season. 37/51 (72%) for 375 yards and four touchdowns. And it wasn't only the numbers; it was the broken play ability to make magic happen. All told, he's a very solid quarterback in a league full of them. Nobody knows where Lee will top out, but preseason hype means diddly next to Reesing's experience and stats.

Boom and boom. Two very good posts here. :thumbs:thumbs