Is everyone buying in the Baylor Hype?

Glad to see you back Cy, hope the migration went well, and the tag in your ear doesn't hurt too much...

Baylor might win 4 games this year, but that's about it. They're non-conference schedule is almost respectable with Wake and UConn, both games i'm pretty sure they're gonna lose.

There's no Baylor hype, there's Griffin hype, and not much after that...

Oh yeah...Baylor is going to be super-duper great this year... <_<

Is that based on that amazing 4 win season (said wins including victories over stellar teams such as Northwesten State, Washington State, Iowa State and Texas A&M)...

Or maybe it's based on those games they barely lost...like the Missouri or Connecticut game?

Or maybe it's based on this amazing Griffin...you know...the guy that ranked 12th in the Big 12 in passing behind such amazing talents are Cody Hawkins and Austen Arnaud...and 10th in total offense finishing ahead of only Hawkins and Johnson at A&M?

This is a team that ranked dead last in Passing Offense and 10th in Total Offense in the Big 12....They lost half their DL and half of their DB's and a couple of studs off their OL...

Baylor beat 3 teams with a combined record of 8-29 and and a DII school....the three teams they did beat managed to finish 119th (Washington State) 114th (A&M) and 95th (ISU) in the final NCAA rankings.

Sorry, but beating two pathetic schools (along with the next winner of the B12 North, Iowa State...who was admittedly pathetic last year) and ALMOST beating a couple of other teams does not equal a team on the rise. Hey...ISU ALMOST beat Kansas and ALMOST beat Colorado! Where's the hype for the Cyclones?

Baylor.... <_<

Cy......... :clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap

Baylor is, and always will be, the biggest loser in the Big 12. The school is too socially conservative and will never be a serious threat.

And, if top notch players in Texas have an option for Texas, Nebraska, Oklahoma or Texas A&M they take that 99 times out of a 100.

Bottom line: Baylor is still the last ditch, last resort, last option for marginal recruits.

Furthermore: Baylor sucks and there is nothing going on now that'll change that....F&%$ the Baylor QB and anyone who loves his trash talking a**.

Is that based on that amazing 4 win season (said wins including victories over stellar teams such as Northwesten State, Washington State, Iowa State and Texas A&M)...

Or maybe it's based on those games they barely lost...like the Missouri or Connecticut game?

Or maybe it's based on this amazing Griffin...you know...the guy that ranked 12th in the Big 12 in passing behind such amazing talents are Cody Hawkins and Austen Arnaud...and 10th in total offense finishing ahead of only Hawkins and Johnson at A&M?

This is a team that ranked dead last in Passing Offense and 10th in Total Offense in the Big 12....They lost half their DL and half of their DB's and a couple of studs off their OL...

Baylor beat 3 teams with a combined record of 8-29 and and a DII school....the three teams they did beat managed to finish 119th (Washington State) 114th (A&M) and 95th (ISU) in the final NCAA rankings.

Sorry, but beating two pathetic schools (along with the next winner of the B12 North, Iowa State...who was admittedly pathetic last year) and ALMOST beating a couple of other teams does not equal a team on the rise. Hey...ISU ALMOST beat Kansas and ALMOST beat Colorado! Where's the hype for the Cyclones?

Baylor.... <_<

Cy......... :clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap

Baylor is, and always will be, the biggest loser in the Big 12. The school is too socially conservative and will never be a serious threat.

And, if top notch players in Texas have an option for Texas, Nebraska, Oklahoma or Texas A&M they take that 99 times out of a 100.

Bottom line: Baylor is still the last ditch, last resort, last option for marginal recruits.

Furthermore: Baylor sucks and there is nothing going on now that'll change that....F&%$ the Baylor QB and anyone who loves his trash talking a**.

Well, I'm back for those that remember me from a couple months ago barking about Baylor and our improvement. I expected these comments out of Cy and HuskerJen. You both sound like Aggies. I appreciate the respect from most everyone else on this board. The hype in my opinion is about 90% accurate. As a Baylor fan, I haven't expected to go to bowl game in my lifetime as a fan (started following in 1998). This year I FULLY expect a winning a season and then some. Baylor has every bit as much of a reason to be optimistic this year as Nebraska does. You can say you were 4-8 blah, blah, blah CY. We were 2 PLAYS from a bowl game....and playing in the Big 12 South.

Of course, Baylor doesn't have near the talent of OU or Texas, and one of them will likely be Big 12 champs once again. But we do have the developed talent that is comparable to Kansas, Missouri, Colorado, and Texas Tech this year. We have nearly the same schedule as last year, and aside from Texas, OU and Nebraska...every single one of our opponents have a drop off in talent from the year before. Good luck to both our programs this year!....I have a feeling both Nebraska and Baylor are going to make a lot more noise than we have in the past decade.

watch it, you don't want to get those baptists angry!

WTF? Socially conservative = sucks at football????

Nebraska isn't exactly perceived as left wing, bra twirling, atheist, abortion lovers...

I can't wait to shut the mouths of bandwagon fans. They seem to be one's that have this excuse for Baylor more often than most. 29 days until that happens.

Nebraska isn't exactly perceived as left wing, bra twirling, atheist, abortion lovers...

I can't wait to shut the mouths of bandwagon fans. They seem to be one's that have this excuse for Baylor more often than most. 29 days until that happens.

1) She was making a joke. You're still riled by the disrespect from some others, but this was (I'm pretty sure) supposed to be somewhat funny.

2) Nebraska is no longer a right wing bastion. Gallup's latest shows we're a battlground state, leaning left. In context for Nebraska, that means we're flaming liberals. :)

Baylor.... <_<

Baylor didn't lose to a team with a losing record. In fact they CRUSHED every team they played with a losing record. That's why ISU doesn't have hype. Nearly beating an 11-2 Texas Tech team, a 8-4 Connecticut team, and a 10-4 Missouri team = legitimate hype.

1) She was making a joke. You're still riled by the disrespect from some others, but this was (I'm pretty sure) supposed to be somewhat funny.

2) Nebraska is no longer a right wing bastion. Gallup's latest shows we're a battlground state, leaning left. In context for Nebraska, that means we're flaming liberals. :)

I realize she was joking. I'm not offended either way. I'm a Bush conservative that voted for Obama. If that's not original at Baylor I don't know what is.

No, not really. Look, Griffin is a great talent and has insane speed. He hurt us a couple times last year. On the other hand, Baylor lost two VERY good offensive linemen and has SERIOUS questions on defense. If Nebraska contains Griffin for the most part, this game isn't close. If he can get loose and make some big plays it could be tough, but I'm pretty sure Bo knows this and will be spying him the entire game. Suh should cause havoc in their backfield.

Serious questions on defense is obsurd at least for this year. The key to a good defense is having playmakers on each level of the defense (line, LB, DB's). Baylor for once in my lifetime has just that.

Phil Taylor, DT: Started at Penn State as a true freshman. 2nd Team Preseason All-Big12 Team. He is Suh's equivalent if there is one.

Joe Pawelek: Led the nation in interceptions and he's a linebacker. Preseason All-American Projected 1st or 2nd rounder.

Jordan Lake, Safety: arguably the best safety, and ranked the hardest hitter by opposing players at the Big 12 media days. Also will be drafted next year, however not as high as Pawelek.

I've never been more confident about Baylor's defense. That said, our D still won't be ranked high due to our offensive power. Teams always find a way to score when you have high powered offenses (Tech, OSU, an now Baylor)

Well, I'm back for those that remember me from a couple months ago barking about Baylor and our improvement. I expected these comments out of Cy and HuskerJen. You both sound like Aggies. I appreciate the respect from most everyone else on this board. The hype in my opinion is about 90% accurate. As a Baylor fan, I haven't expected to go to bowl game in my lifetime as a fan (started following in 1998). This year I FULLY expect a winning a season and then some. Baylor has every bit as much of a reason to be optimistic this year as Nebraska does. You can say you were 4-8 blah, blah, blah CY. We were 2 PLAYS from a bowl game....and playing in the Big 12 South.

Of course, Baylor doesn't have near the talent of OU or Texas, and one of them will likely be Big 12 champs once again. But we do have the developed talent that is comparable to Kansas, Missouri, Colorado, and Texas Tech this year. We have nearly the same schedule as last year, and aside from Texas, OU and Nebraska...every single one of our opponents have a drop off in talent from the year before. Good luck to both our programs this year!....I have a feeling both Nebraska and Baylor are going to make a lot more noise than we have in the past decade.

You expect to go to a bowl game? Somebody offer to take you to the Fiesta Bowl to watch their team play or something?

I almost won 10 million dollars in the Power Ball drawing last week...I was only 2 NUMBERS away from winning it! Hmmm...but for some reason, I think that I would still be classified as a loser. Kinda like Japan was only 2 atomic bombs from winning WWII or Germany was only two miles from the Kremlin....

Now, explain the drop off in talent compared to Baylor for...say...Wake Forest (who shall thrash you) or...how about UConn (who shall thrash you)...or even Iowa State? Heck...Iowa State has a better QB than you do...better receivers than you do...a better line than you do...and better defensive secondary than you do...even better special teams than you do.

I'm putting you at 3-9 this year and thinking you should be glad that Texas A&M is in the same conference you are.

Now, explain the drop off in talent compared to Baylor for...say...Wake Forest (who shall thrash you)

Wake has a suspect O Line, and while they return all five starters, it was a poor unit last year. Riley Skinner returns for his SR season, as do RBs Pendergrass and JR Josh Adams. However, Wake lost their top two WRs and replace them with Sophomores this year. It may not matter how experienced Skinner is - if teams stuff the run, he's going to have to rely on that porous O Line to protect him while his inexperienced WRs get open. Wake is not at all a sure loss for Baylor.

UConn (who shall thrash you)

UConn lost Tyler Lorenzen and Donald Brown, who combined for 147% of their offense last year. As much press as Lorenzen got last year, UConn only threw five TDs as a team all of last season. Baylor's greatest weapon is Griffin, and UConn is replacing three of their front four on the D Line. They return all three LBs from last year, but these guys aren't even close to Griffin's speed (not that most anyone is). If Griffin breaks through the first level on these guys... he's gone.

Heck...Iowa State has a better QB than you do...better receivers than you do...a better line than you do...and better defensive secondary than you do...even better special teams than you do.

No. No you don't. Griffin may not be much of a passer, but neither was Tommie Frazier or Eric Crouch. And they did OK as QBs.

Well, I'm back for those that remember me from a couple months ago barking about Baylor and our improvement.

You expect to go to a bowl game? Somebody offer to take you to the Fiesta Bowl to watch their team play or something?

[...]

I'm putting you at 3-9 this year and thinking you should be glad that Texas A&M is in the same conference you are.

ow! that's gonna leave a mark!

Now, explain the drop off in talent compared to Baylor for...say...Wake Forest (who shall thrash you)

Wake has a suspect O Line, and while they return all five starters, it was a poor unit last year. Riley Skinner returns for his SR season, as do RBs Pendergrass and JR Josh Adams. However, Wake lost their top two WRs and replace them with Sophomores this year. It may not matter how experienced Skinner is - if teams stuff the run, he's going to have to rely on that porous O Line to protect him while his inexperienced WRs get open. Wake is not at all a sure loss for Baylor.

UConn lost Tyler Lorenzen and Donald Brown, who combined for 147% of their offense last year. As much press as Lorenzen got last year, UConn only threw five TDs as a team all of last season. Baylor's greatest weapon is Griffin, and UConn is replacing three of their front four on the D Line. They return all three LBs from last year, but these guys aren't even close to Griffin's speed (not that most anyone is). If Griffin breaks through the first level on these guys... he's gone.

Heck...Iowa State has a better QB than you do...better receivers than you do...a better line than you do...and better defensive secondary than you do...even better special teams than you do.

No. No you don't. Griffin may not be much of a passer, but neither was Tommie Frazier or Eric Crouch. And they did OK as QBs.

Wake Forest's line will improve this year if only because of the experience factor. And if Baylor has ever shown the ability to stuff the run consistently somebody is going to have to remind me when that was. As for WF's missing WR's....sounds like the same situation they have in a city close to here called Lincoln...and I don't think Husker fans seem too concerned.

Griffen was a novelty last year...something nobody expected. Don't think for a second that UConn is going to throw the same 4-3-4 set at Baylor as lots of people saw last year. look for a 3-4-4 or 4-2-5 set to cut off his outside lanes. Baylor and Griffen are pretty much going to be Illinois and Juice Jones after their initial success.

Arnaud, in my opinion, is a better QB than Griffen. Where Griffen can run well and throw not so well, Arnaud can run and throw. Arnaud has more football savy also. Think Griffen can learn three different offenses under three different coaches in two years? Arnaud did...look for big things from Arnaud and the Ames version of the Rice Spread Offense that was so successful last year.

Wake Forest's line will improve this year if only because of the experience factor. And if Baylor has ever shown the ability to stuff the run consistently somebody is going to have to remind me when that was. As for WF's missing WR's....sounds like the same situation they have in a city close to here called Lincoln...and I don't think Husker fans seem too concerned.

Simply putting a season under the belts of these O-Linemen isn't going to make them good. Sometimes players just aren't that great. Sure, Skinner can make up for a lot of ugliness on the line simply because he's an experienced playmaker, but he can't do it alone. I'm not sure where you're getting the idea that Nebraska fans aren't concerned about WR. It's one of our two glaring weaknesses (defensive secondary) heading into the season. Wake has the same problem, but they also have the same benefit the Huskers have - some good running backs to take the heat off the passing game. The thing is, I'll take Nebraska's line over Wake's any day.

Griffen was a novelty last year...something nobody expected. Don't think for a second that UConn is going to throw the same 4-3-4 set at Baylor as lots of people saw last year. look for a 3-4-4 or 4-2-5 set to cut off his outside lanes. Baylor and Griffen are pretty much going to be Illinois and Juice Jones after their initial success.

We'll see how those schemes slow Griffin down. They may work. All I'm saying is, he gets into open space and you're not going to catch him, and UConn's weakest up front. Their experienced LBs will help, and they may corral Griffin quite well. But it's not a guaranteed loss.

Arnaud, in my opinion, is a better QB than Griffen. Where Griffen can run well and throw not so well, Arnaud can run and throw. Arnaud has more football savy also. Think Griffen can learn three different offenses under three different coaches in two years? Arnaud did...look for big things from Arnaud and the Ames version of the Rice Spread Offense that was so successful last year.

I'm not going to try to talk you out of your stance here. Let's just say I don't see it that way. We'll see if I'm wrong once they take the first snap. :thumbs

You are living in a dream world. Fortunately, I saved my mushrooms for later tonight. No doubt Wake will score points this year, but they only return 4 on defense. They lost 4 superstars to the draft. We've out recruited them EVERY year, not to mention we've out recruited Iowa State every year. Wake is a toss up this year. Iowa State...no need for comment. UCONN at home should be a win, and we will be favored. Donald Brown is gone, and he owned everybody.

Don't forget to take into consideration that Briles is now fully implementing his offense. A 2nd year of running a system offense like that is going to do wonders. Arnaud is good. But come on...RGIII was a true freshman who threw 3 picks, and set the NCAA record for passes without an INT. Arnaud did neither.