Too Late??

I have read several things that lead me to beleive that this class although small will be a very difficult thing to fill will real quality because basically we got caught watching the paint dry on the fence.

I am not trying to flame. Just discussing reality.

Recruiting is changing and players are committing very early on in the process now. Some may have seen my post about Gilmore vacationing and coming back to see many of the top players on our board ...gone.

That's what I've been hearing. Brian Munson was on 1620 today talking about how the staff came back from vacation to find a boatload of their A-list prospects had committed elsewhere. I don't know who this magical commit you said we're supposed to get may be, but I hope it wasn't Simek. Sounds like that door is closing, too.

Don't know what the deal is, but recruiting analysts as well as fans have been dogging the staff especially in the wake of Terry's departure. I remember our spring game gave us no commits and so far neither has our junior day. If someone has some insight into why this is the case, please elaborate. We're not Texas, but of the horns can land 20-odd commits based off their junior day, Nebraska should be able to get one or two.

It's too early to tell, but IF this class ends up a bust by the time signing day rolls around, I think the fans and recruiting geeks will have plenty of reason to be disappointed with the staff's product. But it's early. We'll see what happens from here. A good season can change a lot of things, including fall/winter recruiting.

That's what I've been hearing. Brian Munson was on 1620 today talking about how the staff came back from vacation to find a boatload of their A-list prospects had committed elsewhere. I don't know who this magical commit you said we're supposed to get may be, but I hope it wasn't Simek. Sounds like that door is closing, too.

Don't know what the deal is, but recruiting analysts as well as fans have been dogging the staff especially in the wake of Terry's departure. I remember our spring game gave us no commits and so far neither has our junior day. If someone has some insight into why this is the case, please elaborate. We're not Texas, but of the horns can land 20-odd commits based off their junior day, Nebraska should be able to get one or two.

It's too early to tell, but IF this class ends up a bust by the time signing day rolls around, I think the fans and recruiting geeks will have plenty of reason to be disappointed with the staff's product. But it's early. We'll see what happens from here. A good season can change a lot of things, including fall/winter recruiting.

Don't you think signing day is a little too early to determine whether a class is a bust?

Don't you think signing day is a little too early to determine whether a class is a bust?

Fair question, but it's not easily answered. If we win a national title season after this one suddenly Pelini is a recruiting genius as well as a top tier head coach regardless of all star rankings and all that bullsh#t. I think it has more to do with the guys who are thought to be 'on the top of the board' for the coaches committing elsewhere and getting stuck with second or third helpings. For recruiting followers, this is all essentially prospecting. Could turn out a class we thought to be potentially worthless is the one that wins the conference title one day. No way to know.

But if we go by the recruiting of Florida, Oklahoma, Texas, USC, Alabama, Ohio State, etc. we find an interesting trend. And that's they recruit the guys Nebraska fans dream about getting. And are currently whiffing on, by the way.

Quick, name one positive thing Munson has ever said. I have yet see/hear anything from him that wasn't hovering around doom and gloom. Then again, I stopped listening to him a long damned time ago, so maybe he slipped something in while I wasn't paying attention.

Besides, his job doesn't hinge on finding football players that are a great fit for Nebraska. However, Pelini & Co -- their jobs DO depend on it.

Not judging on numbers. If we only have 15 kids sign you have to think that maybe 3-5 wont pan out. I agree to an extent though, signing day is a loong way away and with a good season anything can happen.

With all our recent departures it'll be more like 18-20, I've heard. Theoretically, anyway.

I think this class is full as is. Bo had to be selective this year. We got all the talent we want and are now putting all of our efforts towards Aaron Green and the class of 2011.

sker I love your avatar!

thanks. i don't have a clue what the hell it is but it makes me smile..... i like to think it's what would be produced if a friend of mine slept with a house cat. :dumdum:dumdum

I think this class is full as is. Bo had to be selective this year. We got all the talent we want and are now putting all of our efforts towards Aaron Green and the class of 2011.

sker I love your avatar!

thanks. i don't have a clue what the hell it is but it makes me smile..... i like to think it's what would be produced if a friend of mine slept with a house cat. :dumdum:dumdum

:laughpound

Not judging on numbers. If we only have 15 kids sign you have to think that maybe 3-5 wont pan out. I agree to an extent though, signing day is a loong way away and with a good season anything can happen.

What do you mean by "pan out"? Only about 50% of any given recruiting class will start more than a few games during their careers.

Quick, name one positive thing Munson has ever said. I have yet see/hear anything from him that wasn't hovering around doom and gloom. Then again, I stopped listening to him a long damned time ago, so maybe he slipped something in while I wasn't paying attention.

Besides, his job doesn't hinge on finding football players that are a great fit for Nebraska. However, Pelini & Co -- their jobs DO depend on it.

Just today he said that he thought last year's class was a successful one for Pelini and co. which added a lot of athleticism to the team. That's positive.

But regardless, he is based in Texas where he covers the state Nebraska has been so far unsuccessfully attempting to mine for talent this season. None of this doom and gloom means anything yet, obviously, but fans and recruiting freaks alike are getting restless as one by one our guys are being hauled in by rivals in our conference and division.

Makes you think maybe we should be worried.

Just today he said that he thought last year's class was a successful one for Pelini and co. which added a lot of athleticism to the team. That's positive.

But regardless, he is based in Texas where he covers the state Nebraska has been so far unsuccessfully attempting to mine for talent this season. None of this doom and gloom means anything yet, obviously, but fans and recruiting freaks alike are getting restless as one by one our guys are being hauled in by rivals in our conference and division.

Not quite yet because I recall what Munson was saying on 1620 at this time last year. He was all doom and gloom then also. It is easy for him to say that he liked NU's class now, he sure didn't at this time last year.

Not quite yet because I recall what Munson was saying on 1620 at this time last year. He was all doom and gloom then also. It is easy for him to say that he liked NU's class now, he sure didn't at this time last year.

You could very well be right. Don't recall last year's commentary. I do remember he was high on Cody Green and Chris Williams, though.