Too Late??

Is Watson going to take the first job that's offered to him? That seems to be what most of the posts I have read on here think. That can't help recruiting, You know other schools are using that against us.

This staff is still getting its feet wet. They will find out this year if they are getting it done the way they want, or that their going to have to change a few things or people. To soon to worry about the recruiting yet. We can all panic in February :ahhhhhhhh:ahhhhhhhh

GBR!!!

I'm not a talent evaluator, never have been but here's some video comparing Evans to Levorson. Some have said similar players. Watch the tape and decide for yourself. However I can spot an explosive athlete on film when I see one at the HS level.

To be fair, one of those is a senior season highlight video. The other is a promotional video for a team filmed mainly over just a couple of games. Remember, the coaches didn't offer based on his junior season film - they offered based on his performance at camp working with both Gilmore and Sanders.

It's about developing relationships in recruiting. When School A sends you handwritten letters from coaches each week and consistently calls you while School B infrequently does either, who are you more likely to be attracted to?

***SNIP***

I agree about establishing relationships, but there was a recent article in Sports Illustrated that really highlighted how kids today don't really respond to letters - handwritten or not. Very interesting read, if anyone is interested.

LINK

I think BigWillie is trying to highlight the fact that out staff has been lacking in coordination and communication when it comes to following up with recruits. They hand't met as a staff to discuss recruiting since the Spring, and have been very poor about keeping in contact with current targets, lagging behind what the competion is doing.

I am a huge proponent of this staff, always have been. But they've been extremely incomplacent and have not been held accountable for follow-up. They're very aware of the buzz that's been circulating about. Hopefully it jumpstarts their efforts.

There needs to be new leadership and direction established here, or 2-4 years from now, we will really be suffering from a talent standpoint. This has been echoed in a number of forums.

I think BigWillie is trying to highlight the fact that out staff has been lacking in coordination and communication when it comes to following up with recruits. They hand't met as a staff to discuss recruiting since the Spring, and have been very poor about keeping in contact with current targets, lagging behind what the competion is doing.

***SNIP***

Oh, I agree - and I agree with Willie. The reason I posted the article is that it seems that most talent today - thanks to the camps, evaluations, the Internet, etc. - is identified and "targeted" by most schools. Each of those schools send tons of letters. Most, according to the article aren't even personalized much. Regardless, it seems kids today just ignore them.

This is a significant change from years ago. Before recruiting became so big, identifying the talent was not universal, so there were fewer schools sending recruits mail. Getting a letter was a bigger deal.

I'm no recruiting expert, but it seems that establishing relationships with high schools is one of the best routes to take. That gives you an "in" with a recruit through his coach.

***SNIP***

Oh, I agree - and I agree with Willie. The reason I posted the article is that it seems that most talent today - thanks to the camps, evaluations, the Internet, etc. - is identified and "targeted" by most schools. Each of those schools send tons of letters. Most, according to the article aren't even personalized much. Regardless, it seems kids today just ignore them.

This is a significant change from years ago. Before recruiting became so big, identifying the talent was not universal, so there were fewer schools sending recruits mail. Getting a letter was a bigger deal.

I'm no recruiting expert, but it seems that establishing relationships with high schools is one of the best routes to take. That gives you an "in" with a recruit through his coach.

absolutely!

(next time I'll read the article before posting...eek!)

***SNIP***

absolutely!

(next time I'll read the article before posting...eek!)

i remember when osborn was recruiting,,he was able to pull recriuts from many other parts of the country...now it seems like its texas, and thats about it....osborn got some players from new jersy, new orleans area, a few from florida....that seems to have been missing lately....look at iowa..they now have a better class than nu at this point in time....

. How do you know that the staff has no sense of urgency? Are you in their offices each day? All we have are rumors. Seems to me that the track record up to now hasn't shown this staff to lack that urgency, they pulled in 2 nice classes in a row and their work in practice speaks for itself. Do you think the staff all of the sudden decided that 1 season and 2 recruiting cycles is enough to rest their laurels on?

Yes im there every day... <_<<_<

I have formulated my opinion from the pay sources that are reporting on it . That and I get a tidbit or two. Thanks for asking. :)

You are totally missing my point. Try to follow me. I am saying that the landscape of recruiting is changing and recruits are comitting very early on. From the info I gather we are not getting it done. Take the info or choose to ignore it. Up to you. :)

. How do you know that the staff has no sense of urgency? Are you in their offices each day? All we have are rumors. Seems to me that the track record up to now hasn't shown this staff to lack that urgency, they pulled in 2 nice classes in a row and their work in practice speaks for itself. Do you think the staff all of the sudden decided that 1 season and 2 recruiting cycles is enough to rest their laurels on?

Yes im there every day... <_<<_<

I have formulated my opinion from the pay sources that are reporting on it . That and I get a tidbit or two. Thanks for asking. :)

You are totally missing my point. Try to follow me. I am saying that the landscape of recruiting is changing and recruits are comitting very early on. From the info I gather we are not getting it done. Take the info or choose to ignore it. Up to you. :)

I appreciate your passion for NU. But do you have to be so condescending? Seriously, what's the point? What do you hope to gain by crapping on the head anyone who doesn't agree with you? I know it works for HuskerJen, but she's the exception. :rolleyes:

It seems to me all the added noise on the recruiting front these days is causing a lot of undue stress to both fans and coaches. Seriously guys, the sky isn't falling, the Cornhuskers will sign quality athletes in this and upcoming classes, So what if we aren't a "destination" school, we're a football school. And until that changes, the rumors of NU's immanent demise is being greatly exaggerated!

But do you have to be so condescending? Seriously, what's the point? What do you hope to gain by crapping on the head anyone who doesn't agree with you? I know it works for HuskerJen, but she's the exception. rolleyes.gif

I am stating my opinion which is what a message board is for. If someone is condescending to me, I have the right to return the favor..

I dont see myself defecating on anyone.

One month until football . Lets all try to take a breath..

Back to the subject..

Complacently is causing us to lose out on early targets which is becoming the norm to commit early. Our coaches IMO need to stay on top of this. I agree with a post I read somewhere that behind OU and Texas we should get the next best class in the conference because we are Nebraska..

Just sayin.

Back to the subject..

Complacently is causing us to lose out on early targets which is becoming the norm to commit early. Our coaches IMO need to stay on top of this. I agree with a post I read somewhere that behind OU and Texas we should get the next best class in the conference because we are Nebraska..

Just sayin.

Good point. I'm in no place to judge the coaches effort in recruiting. That said, by February 6, we should expect to top the Big 12 North (at the least) in the recruiting rankings. If not, it doesn't matter how hard they're working, they're not getting the job done and changes will need to be made.

Back to the subject..

Just sayin.

Unless you're 1) in the coaches offices during recruiting, 2) an assistant in the offices during recruiting or 3) a kid actually being recruited by these coaches, you have nothing other than your very unqualified opinion with which to label this staff as "complacent." Unless you have some qualifications people here don't know about, you're pretty much Joe on the Street with pretty much no idea what you're talking about.

For all we know, you could be the Pope.

Just sayin.

Back to the subject..

Just sayin.

Unless you're 1) in the coaches offices during recruiting, 2) an assistant in the offices during recruiting or 3) a kid actually being recruited by these coaches, you have nothing other than your very unqualified opinion with which to label this staff as "complacent." Unless you have some qualifications people here don't know about, you're pretty much Joe on the Street with pretty much no idea what you're talking about.

For all we know, you could be the Pope.

Just sayin.

Thanks for your opinion.

If you think I dont know what I am talking about, here is an idea... Ignore me.