Too Late??

While I agree that you need to on average be in the top 15 every year to consistently compete for NC's and I too am a little upset that we still can't get a lot of these highly ranked guys to look hard at us I am starting to think that this class has potential to be decent.

qb: gabbert

rb: probably won't have one which is fine with the depth we have and hopes of Green and Reed next year.

wr: terry hurt, but if we can get carter, hill and depending on where evans plays possibly three wr's for this class. w/ the emergence of bell, the switch to wr for mendoza and cooper, marlowe and osborne showing promise this position isn't as big of need as i thought it was going to be.

te: we have like 7 that could play right now, not a need this year

ol: we have rodriguez and moody right now and are looking pretty decent for calhoun and possibly glass, add one more and that's a pretty good ol class given we got 4 last year.

de: none right now, but with mobley, okuyemi, carter, vestel and ashburn still on board and interested it could turn out to be a very good de class.

dt: imo the biggest need, we are still in on allen, heimuli, guy, jacobs, hampton, johnson, wheeler, and williams. all pretty good possibilities except for heimuli but you never know.

lb: probably will take one or two, feheko appears to be getting calls from bo himself, burnett is still an option, shirley, lewis, gilliam, and tommie saunders this could be a very good lb class if we get two of any of them i mentioned.

cb: already have one four star if we can hang on, if we could just get porter, evans, hurd, or mack we should be fine after a heavy cb class last year

s: imo the two most likely are olabode, and jackson and if we get them that would be nothing to complain about and if we can possibly pull off a miracle and get parker or riley it would be great.

all in all this class still has potential to be very good, maybe not in the top 15 but if it works out how I hope there's no reason we couldn't be in the top 20 and loaded with athleticism.

You can't deny that we are not in great recruiting shape. I'd like to see how many uncommitted players there were at this time in those past years. Obviously if we have a good season, we will probably land at least some decommits. I expect this class will be below average.

That's exactly what he just did. I'd actually say that you can't deny we're in essentially the same shape recruiting-wise as we have been for the past 5 years.

It's too bad you think this class will be below average. I think we won't rank highly by the rating services (which I don't care about but some do), but that will be because we will have a small class not because we don't have good players. Following recruiting and college football is for entertainment purposes only - relax and enjoy the ride.

But he didn't. He didn't take into account the fact that recruits are tending to commit earlier every year, leaving us with much fewer options than in those years (come to think of it, he's a prime specimen for government service with his misleading statistics). Why does it bother you that I think this year's class will be below average? I don't understand when people say, "we don't need 4/5 star recruits." That's true if we want to be perpetually a 9-4 team at best. And if this class is ranked low, it will be because we don't have "good players." The fact is, those top 10 classes simply do have better players, although that's not to say that I won't get excited about them and welcome them aboard. They could have better careers than higher-ranked players, but they probably won't. That's just being rational and realistic. Take off the rose-colored glasses for a moment and it becomes clear.

There are a lot of people wondering why we can't attract recruits with all of our top notch facilities and amazing tradition. All of those aspects are secondary to the prospect of being on a winning/championship quality team. That's why Florida, Alabama, LSU have such great recruiting. So as I see it, once we start winning, the recruits will come.

I have no issue with anyone who cares to simply "relax and enjoy the ride." Just because I see things as they are doesn't make me any less of a fan, some people are just incapable of doing so, perhaps for the better.

And as far as the "doom and glooom," please. It makes me sad that this board is little more than one person bringing up an issue and then everyone else bemoaning the fact that "that's all people ever talk about."

That is my objective assesment, agree or disagree.

Yes, he did deny that recruiting is is bad shape. You say that nobody can deny it, but then somebody did deny it. And he has facts and numbers to backup his argument. You simply assert an opinion that higher rated classes are better than lower rated classes. Doesn't mean either of you is right or wrong, but it does disprove your statement that nobody can deny your assertion earlier.

Well, then, why don't you show us the stats/data you're claiming are true. Claiming stats without even any numbers is even more misleading. Pot meet kettle.

I disagree with everything you said here. It doesn't bother me that you have low expectations of our recruiting class; I just think that's too bad for you. There's nothing that says we have to have "4 and 5 star" recruits to be good or even great. I understand that you have that opinion, but that's not the same as it being true. In fact the very idea that somebody can determine which players are even 4 and 5 stars isn't proven to be accurate.

You haven't swayed my opinion on these topics, and I doubt I've swayed yours much either. So we'll just disagree.

I would simply add that I don't think the trend of recruits commiting earlier is a recent trend of the last year or so. Rivals doesn't seem to let you get a summary commitment list, only by school which is tought to deal with in this scenario. To add to the poster's work that I put up, I looked at Texas going back to 2005 as they are the most notorious early commitment school.

Total Commits - 20

# Committed by end of June - 20

Total Commits - 20

# Committed by end of June - 19

Total Commits - 24

# Committed by end of June - 22

Total Commits - 25

# Committed by end of June - 20

2005 (this year is the exception year and I don't know why other than it was a very small class)

Total Commits - 15

# Committed by end of June - 6

Not included is 2004, but in that year UT got all but a few committed in July of that year. It appears that from 2006 on, 5 recruiting cycles including this year, UT got/gets most of the commitments by March and April. It looks like Mack was content with locking in during June and July up through 2004, but 2005 may have caused him to change. Anyway it isn't a super new practice, getting almost all of your commitments by the end of June for UT has been going on for 5 years now and before that it was by the end of July.

As far as good class rankings only being due to having good player rankings, that isn't necessarily true either. In 2005, NU had the 5th best class according to Rivals. NU had 30 players commit with an average star ranking of 3.33. USC was #1 that year with only 20 commits, their per player average ranking was 3.95. Volume does count for something in the class rankings. Right now NU has an average ranking of 3.40 (40th overall and only 5 commits), OU has 3.53 (3rd overall and 19 commits), UT has 3.84 (and is #1 overall right now and has 19 commits), aTm has 3.35 (7th overall and has 20 commits), MU has 2.17 (43rd overall and has 12 commits), KU has 2.55 (39th overall and has 11 commits). If you are concerned about the quality of the players NU is recruiting, it definately appears that right now NU is doing much better than everyone but UT and OU and frankly isn't that far off of OU.

There is absolutely no sense of urgency with this staff. I guess if we can keep cherry picking players like Evans out of our own backyard( BTW Evans would have accepted whenever we offered. Why so soon??) Why recruit elsewhere. Just too much effort??

1. How do you know that the staff has no sense of urgency? Are you in their offices each day? All we have are rumors. Seems to me that the track record up to now hasn't shown this staff to lack that urgency, they pulled in 2 nice classes in a row and their work in practice speaks for itself. Do you think the staff all of the sudden decided that 1 season and 2 recruiting cycles is enough to rest their laurels on?

2. What is wrong with offering Evans now? If they think the young man is good enough to play at NU, what difference does it make if they offer him now or later? Question is do YOU think Evans is worth a scholarship?

B)-->

QUOTE(Husker B @ Aug 5 2009, 07:55 PM) 449610[/snapback]

If I recall, when we fired Callahan we lost most of our "A list" and "B list" recruits. It happens every year.

Well, that makes me feel a lot better.

No, it doesn't happen every year. Only years where your AD gets fired midseason, your coach is a known sitting duck, and the entire team folds upon itself in magnificent self-destruction.

Fact #1: The number one reason why most recruits choose a school is because of location.

Fact #2: The most high school talent in the country is concentrated in Florida, California, Texas, and Ohio.

Fact #3: The teams that everyone keeps mentioning are either in one of these states or border one of these states.

Fact #4: Nebraska does not border Texas.

Conclusion: Quit mentioning USC, Florida, Texas, OU, Ohio State, or LSU when talking about recruiting to Nebraska.

#1, I completely disagree with you there. If we want to not be compared to said teams with respect to recruiting, we can expect to be more or less as good as we were in '08.

Looks like some people could use a lesson in the difference between "opinion" and "fact."

And who would that be?

You can't deny that we are not in great recruiting shape. I'd like to see how many uncommitted players there were at this time in those past years. Obviously if we have a good season, we will probably land at least some decommits. I expect this class will be below average.

That's exactly what he just did. I'd actually say that you can't deny we're in essentially the same shape recruiting-wise as we have been for the past 5 years.

It's too bad you think this class will be below average. I think we won't rank highly by the rating services (which I don't care about but some do), but that will be because we will have a small class not because we don't have good players. Following recruiting and college football is for entertainment purposes only - relax and enjoy the ride.

But he didn't. He didn't take into account the fact that recruits are tending to commit earlier every year, leaving us with much fewer options than in those years (come to think of it, he's a prime specimen for government service with his misleading statistics). Why does it bother you that I think this year's class will be below average? I don't understand when people say, "we don't need 4/5 star recruits." That's true if we want to be perpetually a 9-4 team at best. And if this class is ranked low, it will be because we don't have "good players." The fact is, those top 10 classes simply do have better players, although that's not to say that I won't get excited about them and welcome them aboard. They could have better careers than higher-ranked players, but they probably won't. That's just being rational and realistic. Take off the rose-colored glasses for a moment and it becomes clear.

There are a lot of people wondering why we can't attract recruits with all of our top notch facilities and amazing tradition. All of those aspects are secondary to the prospect of being on a winning/championship quality team. That's why Florida, Alabama, LSU have such great recruiting. So as I see it, once we start winning, the recruits will come.

I have no issue with anyone who cares to simply "relax and enjoy the ride." Just because I see things as they are doesn't make me any less of a fan, some people are just incapable of doing so, perhaps for the better.

And as far as the "doom and glooom," please. It makes me sad that this board is little more than one person bringing up an issue and then everyone else bemoaning the fact that "that's all people ever talk about."

Yes, he did deny that recruiting is is bad shape. You say that nobody can deny it, but then somebody did deny it. And he has facts and numbers to backup his argument. You simply assert an opinion that higher rated classes are better than lower rated classes. Doesn't mean either of you is right or wrong, but it does disprove your statement that nobody can deny your assertion earlier.

Well, then, why don't you show us the stats/data you're claiming are true. Claiming stats without even any numbers is even more misleading. Pot meet kettle.

I disagree with everything you said here. It doesn't bother me that you have low expectations of our recruiting class; I just think that's too bad for you. There's nothing that says we have to have "4 and 5 star" recruits to be good or even great. I understand that you have that opinion, but that's not the same as it being true. In fact the very idea that somebody can determine which players are even 4 and 5 stars isn't proven to be accurate.

You haven't swayed my opinion on these topics, and I doubt I've swayed yours much either. So we'll just disagree.

I see you've chosen the "disagree" option.

As for saying "nobody can deny..." I really don't follow you there. Anyone can deny anything, but not necessarily with any shred of accuracy. If I said "no one can deny the existence of the Moon" and you were to say "I deny that," then yes, you would have debunked my theory, but is that really your argument? Please tell me that makes sense to you.

And no, I do not have any numbers on the amount of uncommitted players at any given time, but we can all see it happening, so please don't be mulish there.

Of course, recruiting is not an exact science, I completely agree there. However, on average, 5 star players are better football players than 3 star players, the ratings aren't given out randomly. Our recruiting is inferior to many other programs at the moment.

The thing that really exasperates me is just how absurdly "conservative" this board is. You bring up one thought that people don't generally agree with or, more accurately, like to hear, and everyone freaks out. People who can make an evenhanded decision don't fit in well here.

All that said, please, no one take this the wrong way, this is not directed towards anyone specifically. I'm tired of these discussions turning into personal arguments.

Like you said, we won't be able to sway eachother.

Fact #1: The number one reason why most recruits choose a school is because of location.

Fact #2: The most high school talent in the country is concentrated in Florida, California, Texas, and Ohio.

Fact #3: The teams that everyone keeps mentioning are either in one of these states or border one of these states.

Fact #4: Nebraska does not border Texas.

Conclusion: Quit mentioning USC, Florida, Texas, OU, Ohio State, or LSU when talking about recruiting to Nebraska.

#1, I completely disagree with you there. If we want to not be compared to said teams with respect to recruiting, we can expect to be more or less as good as we were in '08.

Looks like some people could use a lesson in the difference between "opinion" and "fact."

And who would that be?

I see you've chosen the "disagree" option.

As for saying "nobody can deny..." I really don't follow you there. Anyone can deny anything, but not necessarily with any shred of accuracy. If I said "no one can deny the existence of the Moon" and you were to say "I deny that," then yes, you would have debunked my theory, but is that really your argument? Please tell me that makes sense to you.

And no, I do not have any numbers on the amount of uncommitted players at any given time, but we can all see it happening, so please don't be mulish there.

Of course, recruiting is not an exact science, I completely agree there. However, on average, 5 star players are better football players than 3 star players, the ratings aren't given out randomly. Our recruiting is inferior to many other programs at the moment.

The thing that really exasperates me is just how absurdly "conservative" this board is. You bring up one thought that people don't generally agree with or, more accurately, like to hear, and everyone freaks out. People who can make an evenhanded decision don't fit in well here.

All that said, please, no one take this the wrong way, this is not directed towards anyone specifically. I'm tired of these discussions turning into personal arguments.

Like you said, we won't be able to sway eachother.

lilred, you may want to discount that location isn't the number 1 factor but I would be hard pressed to agree with you. SI did an article on this issue in January and had a follow up on that more recently, I linked the articles below. In the first one, they cite a study some people did on the factors that most affect a recruit in making a choice. Here is an excerpt:

...a trio of economists who, in 2005, designed a model to predict the college choices of sought-after recruits. The model created by Mike DuMond, Allen Lynch and Jennifer Platania -- rabid college football fans who met while Ph D. candidates at Florida State -- found that among heavily recruited players choosing from among only BCS-conference schools, distance from home is the most important factor in a recruit's choice. The model was published in the February 2008 issue of The Journal of Sports Economics.

It may or may not sway you to think location is the number concern for recruits is location, but I think it makes a compelling argument.

The State of Recruiting

Latest all-star list affirms proximity to recruits translates to success

As far as being able to tell if NU is worse off this year only having 5 recruits and a 3.4 average star ranking, looking at the last 5 years for UT as well as comparing our per recruit star ranking average as I listed above, I would have to disagree. Do I want recruiting to be better off at this point, ABSOLUTELY! I want those 5 star recruits, however I also like the talent that has come in the past few years and frankly I think Bo and Co are on track to do it again. I wish they had more momentum, but I think they can re-invigorate that and quickly.

Regarding the issues with your opinion string, well I thought this was a discussion board. You are absolutely right you should put your opinions up, just be prepared to defend them. Others are going to disagree with you just as much as you disagree with them. I don't understand why you seem to have an issue with this, yet you disagree with them. I like healthy debate and that is what I am trying to conduct, if you feel otherwise then I am sorry.

Fair enough, you drive a hard bargain with the proximity argument. I'll concede that it plays a bigger factor than I had previously thought.

As far as defending my opinion, you just can't win against certain people.

Thank you for allowing us to discuss like adults! (not sarcastic)

2. What is wrong with offering Evans now? If they think the young man is good enough to play at NU, what difference does it make if they offer him now or later? Question is do YOU think Evans is worth a scholarship?

I'm not a talent evaluator, never have been but here's some video comparing Evans to Levorson. Some have said similar players. Watch the tape and decide for yourself. However I can spot an explosive athlete on film when I see one at the HS level.

Tyler Evans

63-lgjNTvEM

S82K7bgurm0

What is wrong with offering Evans now?

It makes me wonder why.. He was not a priority on our board, why not see if we can grab some others that have evaluated higher with knowing that there is plenty of time to take T Evans whenever we wanted to.

I have nothing personal against him. Just think that we could do much much better with this much time remaining.

I know that my opinion is just that. Just seeing trends and patterns that are very Solichesque.

It’s August. We’re still a month away from the start of the season. How can it be too late?

We might have some, or even a lot, of work to do, but I don’t understand how this class is doomed.

It's about developing relationships in recruiting. When School A sends you handwritten letters from coaches each week and consistently calls you while School B infrequently does either, who are you more likely to be attracted to?

That is the thing that absolutely doomed Frankie. He was infrequent with contact and only wanted to turn up the heat on prospects after the final regular season game. During the year, he wanted nothing to do with recruiting. Thus why our recruiting was constantly average or below because we played catchup on so many prospects.

In today recruiting world, it is even worse with so many other forms of communication that can constantly be used. You slack off for a minute and other schools will pounce in an instance.

I will say this, people are in love with Bo for his coaching abilities and rightfully so. However, Bo, as well as the rest of this staff need to go to the Callahan school of recruiting to learn how tireless you need to be in recruiting. While Callahan was not the coach Bo is, if you put BC vs Bo in a recruiting battle, BC would run circles around Bo.

If only we had a mix of Bo and Callahan, we would have a superstar coach. :lol:

And for those thinking our recruiting is not in bad shape - I will say it is. When it gets to the point that Bryan Munson, who has friends on the staff will go out of his way to say something is wrong, it is likely even worse than he lets on. Other 'insiders' have quietly and lightly thrown it out there to the public.

If you still don't believe it, just read the updates from recruiting sites. How many times have you saw a recruit talk about how he wants to get in touch with Nebraska or how a coach missed a call or talks about infrequent contact. It has been a quite common theme in updates this year and that is troubling. Compare that to how many times you see a kid mention that about another school. It just doesn't happen.

But like Munson said, the complete blame does not go to the staff. Quite a few people on the support staff need their equal share of the blame as well. People underestimate how much work they put in as well to make sure things go smoothly for the coaches with as little confusion as possible.

It’s August. We’re still a month away from the start of the season. How can it be too late?

We might have some, or even a lot, of work to do, but I don’t understand how this class is doomed.

It's about developing relationships in recruiting. When School A sends you handwritten letters from coaches each week and consistently calls you while School B infrequently does either, who are you more likely to be attracted to?

That is the thing that absolutely doomed Frankie. He was infrequent with contact and only wanted to turn up the heat on prospects after the final regular season game. During the year, he wanted nothing to do with recruiting. Thus why our recruiting was constantly average or below because we played catchup on so many prospects.

In today recruiting world, it is even worse with so many other forms of communication that can constantly be used. You slack off for a minute and other schools will pounce in an instance.

I will say this, people are in love with Bo for his coaching abilities and rightfully so. However, Bo, as well as the rest of this staff need to go to the Callahan school of recruiting to learn how tireless you need to be in recruiting. While Callahan was not the coach Bo is, if you put BC vs Bo in a recruiting battle, BC would run circles around Bo.

And for those thinking our recruiting is not in bad shape - I will say it is. When it gets to the point that Bryan Munson, who has friends on the staff will go out of his way to say something is wrong, it is likely even worse than he lets on. Other 'insiders' have quietly and lightly thrown it out there to the public.

If you still don't believe it, just read the updates from recruiting sites. How many times have you saw a recruit talk about how he wants to get in touch with Nebraska or how a coach missed a call or talks about infrequent contact. It has been a quite common theme in updates this year and that is troubling. Compare that to how many times you see a kid mention that about another school. It just doesn't happen.

But like Munson said, the complete blame does not go to the staff. Quite a few people on the support staff need their equal share of the blame as well. People underestimate how much work they put in as well to make sure things go smoothly for the coaches with as little confusion as possible.

So assuming at least some of the concerns are real, which of the following is accurate:

1. Bo doesn't think there is a problem.

2. Bo is doing something to correct this.

I thought about adding Bo doesn't care or Bo doesn't know, but they don't really sound like realistic choices.

All the things that you mentioned, isn't some of this directly related to TO and his guidance with Bo. Look I know Osborne worked tremendously long hours while coaching, his children and wife have stated this, you also don't keep a staff around for as long as TO did without loyalty AND not working the dog crap out of them. It's a 2 way street there. Funny that TO didn't get over the recruiting hump until he hired Kevin Steele in the early 90s and we all saw what unfolded. That and TO got roasted on the recruiting trail by CU's Mac and his staff of loaded recruiters in the late 80s.

The total opposite rule of thumb, the Snyder approach, zero staff loyalty and working the ever living dog crap outta his staff while building KSU up pretty darn fast. Also to see staff coaches run for the hills when given the chance to depart-see Nick Saban right now and why Watson didn't accept that position.

I know Stoops and Mangino expect the same type of results from their staff members that they put in while coaching for Snyder. If it truly is going down that way, I can understand why Bo is getting out recruited by KU and OU, they are working harder then NU is plain and simple. Bo didn't recruit to NU his first time around, he didn't recruit at OU, and many LSU fans stated he didn't recruit while down in Baton Rouge.

Who knows if this recruiting recipe will work out for Bo with TO's leadership. Right now this is an entire different animal he's facing and he's a rookie head coach.

I just wonder if the staff got burnt out from last years 12 month recruiting cycle and or there is some conflicting interests going on right now withing the staff???