Too Late??

There is still 6 months between now and February. Alot of football to be played in there and hearts and minds will change as they always do. Keep in mind that alot of players actually change their verbals based on season output and which teams fire their coaches. Have faith, people. We'll still end up with 15-20 signees, most of which will be quality.

We're still a NCAA D-1 program, players will still want to come here.

B)-->

QUOTE(Husker B @ Aug 5 2009, 04:52 PM) 449561[/snapback]

There is still 6 months between now and February. Alot of football to be played in there and hearts and minds will change as they always do. Keep in mind that alot of players actually change their verbals based on season output and which teams fire their coaches. Have faith, people. We'll still end up with 15-20 signees, most of which will be quality.

We're still a NCAA D-1 program, players will still want to come here.

That is what I am staking hopes on. We win the north and put a strong team on the field and it could make things much much better..

We shall see..

by pan out I mean guys that stick it out to the end and contribute other than special teams. For example, the 07' and 08' classes I would say are going to have a lot of guys that will pan out:

out of the 22 guys excluding 2 year jucos and guys who didn't qualify in the 07' class IMO amukamara, blue, asante, castille, crick, gillyean, blue, helu, hill, jones, kunalic, lawrence, lee, mendoza, moore and paul will all pan out. The jury is still out on Yancy, Washington, and Burkes which brings the total to 19 while Witt, Stafford, Sullivan are obviously busts. just my opinion still but it looks like the 07' class will have at least a 73% success rate with the possibility of 86%.

In the 08 class out of the 25 guys it appears from the VERY EARLY stages of their careers that we have reason to believe that Bell, Cooper, Williams, Meredith, Osborne, Osborne, Whaley, Ward, Thompson, Steinkhuler, Spano, Smith, Reed, Henry, Fisher, Dennard, Cotton, and Compton will all contribute at some point. Again the jury is still out on guys like Marlowe, Kreikemeier, Okafor, Tiaoala and maybe to an extent Spano. Wald, Rogers, Leverson, all are obvious busts. That would be a 72% success rate with the possibility of 88%.

I know it's early but compared to the 06 class where 12 out of 22 did or will IMO contribute before their time is up for a 55% success rate. Those numbers also included jucos who were only here for two years.

As for the 05 class judging the guys that I thought contributed a fair amount 16 out of 32 for a 50% success rate. So judging from these numbers I would say Bo's classes will be just fine. I know 07 was Callahan but I really think 09' will produce some very good players as well.

Quick, name one positive thing Munson has ever said. I have yet see/hear anything from him that wasn't hovering around doom and gloom. Then again, I stopped listening to him a long damned time ago, so maybe he slipped something in while I wasn't paying attention.

Besides, his job doesn't hinge on finding football players that are a great fit for Nebraska. However, Pelini & Co -- their jobs DO depend on it.

Just today he said that he thought last year's class was a successful one for Pelini and co. which added a lot of athleticism to the team. That's positive.

But regardless, he is based in Texas where he covers the state Nebraska has been so far unsuccessfully attempting to mine for talent this season. None of this doom and gloom means anything yet, obviously, but fans and recruiting freaks alike are getting restless as one by one our guys are being hauled in by rivals in our conference and division.

Makes you think maybe we should be worried.

Not quite yet because I recall what Munson was saying on 1620 at this time last year. He was all doom and gloom then also. It is easy for him to say that he liked NU's class now, he sure didn't at this time last year.

The difference between this time last year and this year is that last year, there were a few top recruits that still had Nebraska on their list. This year, it seems as none of the top recruits are considering Nebraska.

People keep saying that there are 6 months left. Well, that's fine but don't expect to tap into an A- list or even B-list. <_<

I saw this on another board and thought it should be posted here. I normally don't like to cut and paste like this from other boards since the posters put a lot of effort into their threads or posts and meant them for that audience, but due to the recent nature of discussion I felt this would help keep things in perspective. Several posters on here have already alluded to the fact that NU is in a similar position recruit numbers wise as in the past, this post below details that fact. As a side note, if the poster or anyone on that board is offended, I apologize and please send me a note. I hope I am not stepping over a line here.

---Post written by huskersreign on HuskersIllustrated.com

A Lesson for the Uninformed in Husker Recruiting Reply

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There has been a lot of whining about us not having enough kids in our recruiting class this year and I’d like to shine some light on the truth with some cold hard facts. Read ‘em and weap…

2010 class (5 out of 17 recruits, 29% of class, 3.4 avg stars (at beginning of year) probable 3.6 avg stars (at end of year)

Tyler Evans 8/5/2009 2 star (probable 3 star)

Tyler Gabbert 6/5/2009 4 star

Mike Moudy 4/18/2009 3 star

Andrew Rodriguez 11/25/2008 4 star

Anterio Sloan 4/5/2009 4 star

2009 class (6 out of 20 recruits, 30% of class, 3.16 avg stars (at end of year))

Nick Ash 7/24/2008 3 star

Jesse Coffey 7/22/2008 3 star

Cody green 7/9/2008 4 star

Thaddeus Randle 5/5/2008 3 star

Dontrayevous Robinson 5/16/2008 3 star

C.J. Zimmerer 5/14/2008 3 star

2008 class (turmoil, new coach = don’t analyze)

2007 class (7 out of 27 recruits, 26% of class, 3.14 avg stars (at end of year))

Anthony Blue 6/27/2006 3 star

Jared Crick 6/8/2006 3 star

Demetrious Davis 6/2/2006 3 star

Ryan Hill 8/5/2006 (just made the cutoff) 3 star

Niles Paul 1/2/2006 4 star

Shawn Sullivan 6/11/2006 3 star

Patrick Witt 6/28/2006 3 star

2006 class (4 out of 22 recruits, 18% of class, 3.25 avg stars (at end of year))

Rick Henry 4/6/2005 3 star

Menelik Holt 6/3/2005 3 star

Seth Jensen 6/22/2005 3 star

D.J. Jones 4/22/2005 4 star

2005 recruiting class [top 5 in the nation] (4 out of 32 recruits, 12.5% of class, 3 avg stars (at end of year))

Nick Covey 6/1/2004 3 star

Phillip Dillard 7/29/2004 4 star

David Harvey 7/2/2004 2 star

Craig Roark 6/29/2004 3 star

Note that 4 people did not have commitment date (Harrison Beck, Barry Cryer, Cody Glenn and Brodrick Hunter). I'm pretty sure Harrison Beck was commited in this time period but I don't know about the others. But let's say all of them were committed prior too 8/5/2004 thats 8 out of 32 recruits, 25% of class, 3.125 star avg.

One thing to note is that I took this off of rivals site for each of our classes and does not take into account people that may have been committed to us prior to Aug. 6 but later decommitted and committed to somewhere else. But, nonetheless this gives us a good idea of how unknowledgeable some of you really are!!! As of right now our class is off to a better start than any others previous that I listed!

P.S. if anyone wants to find out who those previous decommits are and incorporate them to give us a 100% true understanding of what is going on here that would be awesome!

P.S. x2 this info should be stickied for uninformed posters so they don’t cry about how we don’t have enough commits every single summer.

You can't deny that we are not in great recruiting shape. I'd like to see how many uncommitted players there were at this time in those past years. Obviously if we have a good season, we will probably land at least some decommits. I expect this class will be below average.

You can't deny that we are not in great recruiting shape. I'd like to see how many uncommitted players there were at this time in those past years. Obviously if we have a good season, we will probably land at least some decommits. I expect this class will be below average.

That's exactly what he just did. I'd actually say that you can't deny we're in essentially the same shape recruiting-wise as we have been for the past 5 years.

It's too bad you think this class will be below average. I think we won't rank highly by the rating services (which I don't care about but some do), but that will be because we will have a small class not because we don't have good players. Following recruiting and college football is for entertainment purposes only - relax and enjoy the ride.

That's what I've been hearing. Brian Munson was on 1620 today talking about how the staff came back from vacation to find a boatload of their A-list prospects had committed elsewhere. I don't know who this magical commit you said we're supposed to get may be, but I hope it wasn't Simek. Sounds like that door is closing, too.

Was the entire staff on vacation at the same time (God, I hope this isn't the case) or were vacation's scheduled so that one or 2 coaches were in the office at all time?

In this age of recruiting 24/7/365, you just cann't close up shop for a couple of weeks and expect to come back and pick up were they left off.

If true that the entire staff was on vacation at the same time, it would tend to back up the rumblings from last week that "recruits were having a hard time" contacting coaches (which I did brush aside last week and now, i'm not so sure there isn't some truth to it).

That's exactly what he just did. I'd actually say that you can't deny we're in essentially the same shape recruiting-wise as we have been for the past 5 years.

It's too bad you think this class will be below average. I think we won't rank highly by the rating services (which I don't care about but some do), but that will be because we will have a small class not because we don't have good players. Following recruiting and college football is for entertainment purposes only - relax and enjoy the ride.

But he didn't. He didn't take into account the fact that recruits are tending to commit earlier every year, leaving us with much fewer options than in those years (come to think of it, he's a prime specimen for government service with his misleading statistics). Why does it bother you that I think this year's class will be below average? I don't understand when people say, "we don't need 4/5 star recruits." That's true if we want to be perpetually a 9-4 team at best. And if this class is ranked low, it will be because we don't have "good players." The fact is, those top 10 classes simply do have better players, although that's not to say that I won't get excited about them and welcome them aboard. They could have better careers than higher-ranked players, but they probably won't. That's just being rational and realistic. Take off the rose-colored glasses for a moment and it becomes clear.

There are a lot of people wondering why we can't attract recruits with all of our top notch facilities and amazing tradition. All of those aspects are secondary to the prospect of being on a winning/championship quality team. That's why Florida, Alabama, LSU have such great recruiting. So as I see it, once we start winning, the recruits will come.

I have no issue with anyone who cares to simply "relax and enjoy the ride." Just because I see things as they are doesn't make me any less of a fan, some people are just incapable of doing so, perhaps for the better.

And as far as the "doom and glooom," please. It makes me sad that this board is little more than one person bringing up an issue and then everyone else bemoaning the fact that "that's all people ever talk about."

That is my objective assesment, agree or disagree.

But he didn't. He didn't take into account the fact that recruits are tending to commit earlier every year, leaving us with much fewer options than in those years (come to think of it, he's a prime specimen for government service with his misleading statistics). Why does it bother you that I think this year's class will be below average? I don't understand when people say, "we don't need 4/5 star recruits." That's true if we want to be perpetually a 9-4 team at best. And if this class is ranked low, it will be because we don't have "good players." The fact is, those top 10 classes simply do have better players, although that's not to say that I won't get excited about them and welcome them aboard. They could have better careers than higher-ranked players, but they probably won't. That's just being rational and realistic. Take off the rose-colored glasses for a moment and it becomes clear.

There are a lot of people wondering why we can't attract recruits with all of our top notch facilities and amazing tradition. All of those aspects are secondary to the prospect of being on a winning/championship quality team. That's why Florida, Alabama, LSU have such great recruiting. So as I see it, once we start winning, the recruits will come.

I have no issue with anyone who cares to simply "relax and enjoy the ride." Just because I see things as they are doesn't make me any less of a fan, some people are just incapable of doing so, perhaps for the better.

And as far as the "doom and glooom," please. It makes me sad that this board is little more than one person bringing up an issue and then everyone else bemoaning the fact that "that's all people ever talk about."

Fact #1: The number one reason why most recruits choose a school is because of location.

Fact #2: The most high school talent in the country is concentrated in Florida, California, Texas, and Ohio.

Fact #3: The teams that everyone keeps mentioning are either in one of these states or border one of these states.

Fact #4: Nebraska does not border Texas.

Conclusion: Quit mentioning USC, Florida, Texas, OU, Ohio State, or LSU when talking about recruiting to Nebraska.

Yes, he did deny that recruiting is is bad shape. You say that nobody can deny it, but then somebody did deny it. And he has facts and numbers to backup his argument. You simply assert an opinion that higher rated classes are better than lower rated classes. Doesn't mean either of you is right or wrong, but it does disprove your statement that nobody can deny your assertion earlier.

Well, then, why don't you show us the stats/data you're claiming are true. Claiming stats without even any numbers is even more misleading. Pot meet kettle.

I disagree with everything you said here. It doesn't bother me that you have low expectations of our recruiting class; I just think that's too bad for you. There's nothing that says we have to have "4 and 5 star" recruits to be good or even great. I understand that you have that opinion, but that's not the same as it being true. In fact the very idea that somebody can determine which players are even 4 and 5 stars isn't proven to be accurate.

You haven't swayed my opinion on these topics, and I doubt I've swayed yours much either. So we'll just disagree.