2009 Offense and Watson does it reload

Let us know what you think on a scale of 1-10.

To me reload means that the team just keeps going at a high level year after year regardless of who the next guy in line is behind the seniors.

Shawn Watson is going into his fourth year, and as I sit here sipping my Husker Kool-Aid I ask, does the Offense Qualify as a group that can be said to reload and not rebuild?

On a scale of 1-10 I give the offense a 7 on my reload scale.

Why a 7: Based on the Stats below and my definition above the offense is doing a good job and improving each year even without Multi-year QB starters. Watson has shown that his side of the ball is doing a good job developing younger players so they can step in when needed. I think this will be the case again this year with Zac Lee and his receiving corp.

Why not a 8,9 or 10: Not enough years have passed to really say reload and although the offense has had good success I want to see them perform better in the big time games.

Summary: I can’t wait for the season to start, I think this offense has huge potential and that it will not take a step back even with a new QB. I’m confident in Watson and I think anyone who expects his offense to falter is simply not giving him enough credit.

Combine my rebuild factor with what I’m sure will be a much improved defense and I expect great things this year.

I picked the points per/game stat because I figure that when the game is over the only thing that matters is what the score board shows.

Points/game

2008 17th 35.4 points Joe Ganz

2007 29th 33.4 points Sam Keller …….. Joe Ganz (Watson to OC)

2006 18th 30 points Zac Taylor (Watson TE Coach and Recruiting Cord.)

2005 67th 24.7 points Zac Taylor (Pre Watson)

I think Zac and his receivers will hit their strides as the season progresses, until then a powerful running game takes some pressure off and let's not forget about the TEs. McNeill and Young will be huge safety valves while Lee settles in. If Cotton gets the O-line straitened out - which he will - I don't think there's much, if any, drop-off.

The offense will not skip a beat. This offense will be more talented than last year's.

Talented maybe...but will that talent translate to a more productive season?

I expect the Huskers offense to be similar to, if not better than the 2008 offense.

:koolaid2:

I really think the offense has the potential to be as good or better than last year. I think our receivers are talented and there is a chance that they can hit full stride this year.

(Not that this hasn't been said 1000 times)

It bears mentioning that Swift and Peterson probably aren't starters on half of the teams in the Big XII. We all love these guys but they weren't SO loaded with talent that they cannot be replaced. Like Zac Taylor and Ganzy, these guys were gamers. If we can replace gamers with talent, that's a step up.

I'm cautiously optimistic about the WR position this year. There are some familiar names who could produce (Meno Holt and Niles Paul), but we're hearing plenty about other guys (Curenski Gilleylen, Bryan Kinnie and Antonio Bell) who might step up as well, and whom the coaches think may be playmakers.

All things considered, I don't think we're going to have a big dropoff in the passing game.

It bears mentioning that Swift and Peterson probably aren't starters on half of the teams in the Big XII. We all love these guys but they weren't SO loaded with talent that they cannot be replaced. Like Zac Taylor and Ganzy, these guys were gamers. If we can replace gamers with talent, that's a step up.

I'm cautiously optimistic about the WR position this year. There are some familiar names who could produce (Meno Holt and Niles Paul), but we're hearing plenty about other guys (Curenski Gilleylen, Bryan Kinnie and Antonio Bell) who might step up as well, and whom the coaches think may be playmakers.

All things considered, I don't think we're going to have a big dropoff in the passing game.

i don't know about you, but if any duo on this team is as dependable as Swift and Petersen, i say we will be damn lucky to get that kind of play again!