2001 Skers on FOX Sports

So I'm here watching the 2001 NU/TT game and am just flabbergasted on how Craig Bohl could destroy a defense with a game plan vs CU that had that much talent on it. The front four were pretty damn stout and other than Erwin Sweeney, the slowest fast guy ever, the secondary was loaded. The LB's weren't that great that year, but playing two yards off the line of scrimmage didn't help their cause.

WTF Mr. Bohl? :wtf

Looking back, I think was an omen game - our defense looked vulnerable and even our offense didn't completely dominate.

TT did have Wes Welker, who just made our DBs and special teams look silly. And, I think this was one of Leach's better defensive units at TT. IIRC, TT beat OU in '01 in Lubbock.

Still, we got stuffed on a 3rd and short in the second half when we needed to convert. Crouch threw two picks - one really not his fault as the DB ripped it from Bowling.

that one "interception" we totally got screwed on. Our guy caught it, landed, then the guy stripped it out afterward and practically picked the ball up off the turf and they gave him a pick? also i think we had one of the fumbles- they signaled tech then the last tech guy got up WITHOUT the ball. In the second half TT went to wider splits on the OL and held like crazy, seemed to work pretty good, and is probly why thats what most of these spread O's are doin now. Some of our defenders just look too bulky for their positions though, and I think one thing that really started to burn us as teams started getting pass happy is the way we were still doing pass coverage- like the same way for 20 years lol. I guess we know that though, if you just look at the difference in pass defense between 02 and 03.

I remember this game because I was living in OK, and had plans to got out th the fair. So of course I taped it, and even remember saying to my wife, " I hope no one ruins this for me, This shoulb be a great ball game!."

So as we're walking around in the Expo building eating junk, eye shopping for junk we would never buy, when I pass by a large screen TV playing what I'm pretty sure is the Husker game. Fortunatley, all but the top was obscured and I turned away quickly, BUT before I did I could have swore I saw a score that looked a lot like 77- 10! So I spent the next hour or so trying to convince myself that there was NO WAY that Tech was whooping us that Badly! It just couldn't be! But then again, I knew our Dailey lead offense wasn't putting up that kind of points.

Well we all know how that went. :facepalm: Still one of only three NU football games I have ever quite watching before the final whistle.

I remember this game because I was living in OK, and had plans to got out th the fair. So of course I taped it, and even remember saying to my wife, " I hope no one ruins this for me, This shoulb be a great ball game!."

So as we're walking around in the Expo building eating junk, eye shopping for junk we would never buy, when I pass by a large screen TV playing what I'm pretty sure is the Husker game. Fortunatley, all but the top was obscured and I turned away quickly, BUT before I did I could have swore I saw a score that looked a lot like 77- 10! So I spent the next hour or so trying to convince myself that there was NO WAY that Tech was whooping us that Badly! It just couldn't be! But then again, I knew our Dailey lead offense wasn't putting up that kind of points.

Well we all know how that went. :facepalm: Still one of only three NU football games I have ever quite watching before the final whistle.

lol, different game, this is 01 when we snuck into the title game, crouch's senior year. This game is not a terrible game to watch

lol, different game, this is 01 when we snuck into the title game, crouch's senior year. This game is not a terrible game to watch

Ouch, I opened up those old wounds for nothing. :dumdum

I'll say this game may have been a sliver of an omen, but not much. This was when Leach was really starting to develop his system. We had decent pressure on Kingsbury most of the game after the first quarter, and it is hard to blanket cover receivers for three seconds let alone more. The RB had a day but his first four yards a carry were when our back seven were still in their back pedals. Welker changed our whole special team plan returning two punts(one called back) but another receiver went straight Jarret Hicks circa 2004 mostly destroying Sweeney.

I won't call this a total omen game because the next week we go out Stuntz has his moment of glory and we beat Boomer. A run first offense that was closer to resembling Colorado. Crouch threw the ball well that night, and was hurt by a lot of dropped balls. And Tracy Wistrom wasn't even 100% this game.

Still can't call it an omen, just a case of potentially looking ahead to #2 vs #3 the next week I believe.

PS Mike Leach looked so skinny back then.

Hindsight is definitely 20/20.

I watched the NU-TT game from 2001 today as well and I saw Texas Tech repeatedly use draw plays with their version of Ricky Williams and gash the Blackshirts for big yards. As I rewatched the game, my mind immediately flashed forward to the game against Colorado. I could just picture then Colorado OC Shawn Watson, watching film, seeing the huge gaps in Nebraska's defense and formulating that 2001 game-plan.

So I'm here watching the 2001 NU/TT game and am just flabbergasted on how Craig Bohl could destroy a defense with a game plan vs CU that had that much talent on it. The front four were pretty damn stout and other than Erwin Sweeney, the slowest fast guy ever, the secondary was loaded. The LB's weren't that great that year, but playing two yards off the line of scrimmage didn't help their cause.

bohl was let go before the CU game and then didn't care so he didn't game plan.

well, that is very interesting. So, the Craig Bohl that was on the sideline for the 2002 season was some sort of robot version filling in until Solich could persuade Pelini to come in 2003? :bs:

well, that is very interesting. So, the Craig Bohl that was on the sideline for the 2002 season was some sort of robot version filling in until Solich could persuade Pelini to come in 2003? :bs:

:clap:rollin:yeah