AP Poll

for fear of being spit on through the tv I never listen to what Holtz has to say,he is a tool. to rank a sorry team like nd that high is crazy,sure they picked a soft schedule this year so they can win games they do it every year and still get beat. Syracuse??? wtf top 15? there are 15 teams that cant beat nd not the other way around. the espn cfb staff in a whole sucks. May would stab his granny to blow the ENTIRE usc organization.and he knows it

I'll steer clear of Lou's comments, lol.

Alabama went 7-6 in 2007, including a home loss to UL-Monroe and a narrow Independence Bowl win going into 2008. Young teams do improve and ND has been one of the youngest teams in the country the past two seasons (ND was starting 7 true freshman in 2007, 4 in 2008). ND had only 8 players from the 2004 recruiting class remain by 2007, and only a couple were decent. The 2005 class wasn't much better. It was as close to the death penalty as you can get. And those have now been fully replaced with excellent classes in 2007 and 2008 who have experience.

I have no issue with anyone or any pollster leaving ND outside the top 25, but to be so up in arms over a #23 ranking? I just don't see why. And ND isn't always ranked. This is the first time ND has been ranked in any poll, preseason or otherwise, since the 2006 season. Also, ND has started out unranked in 6 of the last 9 preseason polls.

Sorry, but it seems like everyone is going insane over a #23 rating. As if ND has spent lots of time ranked highly in the last couple of years. But even so, I hope the Huskers have a great season, despite this ND hating. :cheers

Notre Dame is hated because:

1. The fact is that the irish play a psuedo Big 10+1 schedule and all three service academies. The weakness of their schedule every year is a joke. And yet, even with a patsy schedule they still struggle to get 7 wins. And, to top it all off they have a special clause which guarantees them a BCS bowl game with 9 wins.

2. No team lives off it's past moreso than the domers. Oh and congrats on beating a mediocre Hawaii squad in the meaningless Toilet Bowl last season.

3. They are on television every single week. I'm sorry but watching a 2-3 Notre Dame @ 1-3 Purdue is the ultimate yawn fest.

At home they're on NBC and when they're on the road the game is picked up by espn/abc.

4. Charlie Weiss is typical of a offensive NFL coach who comes to the college ranks as a head coach: He delusionally thinks that an NFL style west coast offense is invincible despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary.

Notre Dame will always be over-rated...that's just the way it is... :dunno

The one part of this poll that has me scratching my head is that Mississippi is in the top 10.

:wtf

They went 9-4 last year and lost to: Wake Forest, Vanderbilt and South Carolina. Given how good Alabama was losing to them is understandable.

Oh wait...they beat Jesus Tebow and the Florida Gaytors... :bang

How a team can go from 9-4 one season to the top 10 next season, based on one victory, is puzzling to be sure.

I guess you will know why they are ranked so high when they are facing Florida in the SEC Championship...

Alabama went 7-6 in 2007, including a home loss to UL-Monroe and a narrow Independence Bowl win going into 2008. Young teams do improve and ND has been one of the youngest teams in the country the past two seasons (ND was starting 7 true freshman in 2007, 4 in 2008). ND had only 8 players from the 2004 recruiting class remain by 2007, and only a couple were decent. The 2005 class wasn't much better. It was as close to the death penalty as you can get. And those have now been fully replaced with excellent classes in 2007 and 2008 who have experience.

I have no issue with anyone or any pollster leaving ND outside the top 25, but to be so up in arms over a #23 ranking? I just don't see why. And ND isn't always ranked. This is the first time ND has been ranked in any poll, preseason or otherwise, since the 2006 season. Also, ND has started out unranked in 6 of the last 9 preseason polls.

Sorry, but it seems like everyone is going insane over a #23 rating. As if ND has spent lots of time ranked highly in the last couple of years. But even so, I hope the Huskers have a great season, despite this ND hating. :cheers

1. The fact is that the irish play a psuedo Big 10+1 schedule and all three service academies. The weakness of their schedule every year is a joke. And yet, even with a patsy schedule they still struggle to get 7 wins. And, to top it all off they have a special clause which guarantees them a BCS bowl game with 9 wins.

2. No team lives off it's past moreso than the domers. Oh and congrats on beating a mediocre Hawaii squad in the meaningless Toilet Bowl last season.

3. They are on television every single week. I'm sorry but watching a 2-3 Notre Dame @ 1-3 Purdue is the ultimate yawn fest.

At home they're on NBC and when they're on the road the game is picked up by espn/abc.

4. Charlie Weiss is typical of a offensive NFL coach who comes to the college ranks as a head coach: He delusionally thinks that an NFL style west coast offense is invincible despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary.

#1 - Michigan, Michigan State, and Purdue is a pseudo Big 10 schedule? ND plays Navy every year, yes. And others play the likes of Charleston Southern and Coastal Carolina. All 3 service academies? That happened in 2006, and Army was only added because the NCAA mandated a 12th game. It is rare that all 3 are on the schedule. Only happened a few times in the last 30 years. I won't defend the recent scheduling moves, however, traditionally ND's schedules have been strong. As recently as 2005, for instance, ND had 3 of the AP preseason Top 4 teams on the schedule, along with 2 others in the top 25.

Also, ND is not guaranteed a BCS bid with 9 wins. They must have 9 wins and finish in the Top 12 just to be eligible. If they're in the Top 8, it's automatic, and ND (nor anyone) will never be in the Top 8 with 3 losses. Also, under the new agreement, if ND does make a BCS game, they'll be paid roughly what any other team would be paid. Btw, ND was 10-2 in the 2002 regular season, BCS eligible, and played in the Gator Bowl.

#2 - Eh, okay.

#3 - So ND is hated because networks choose to broadcast them? Take that up with the networks. And they wouldn't bother if there wasn't interest.

#4 - Charlie Weis does not run a West Coast offense. I have mixed feelings on the man and won't defend him, but he is no reason why ND is hated. ND is hated under any coach.

That said, best of luck to the Huskers. :)

Also, ND is not guaranteed a BCS bid with 9 wins. They must have 9 wins and finish in the Top 12 just to be eligible. If they're in the Top 8, it's automatic, and ND (nor anyone) will never be in the Top 8 with 3 losses. Also, under the new agreement, if ND does make a BCS game, they'll be paid roughly what any other team would be paid. Btw, ND was 10-2 in the 2002 regular season, BCS eligible, and played in the Gator Bowl.

So what, that just makes up for the 3 loss ND team that was given a Fiesta Bowl berth in 2000. What team was it that was passed up for that bid I wonder........oh yeah, Nebraska! The same year NU brought the sea of red with them to South Bend and beat the Domers in their our house!

Does anyone remember the score of that Fiesta Bowl? I sure do 41-17 Oregon State! I remember because as I was watching that game, after watching NU put up 60+ on an obviously inferior Northwestern team, that I would LOVE to have seen what a real football game would have looked like had ND not spoiled the party.

Seriously, if your looking for sympathy from a Husker message board, I have a feeling you won't find much.

#23 is a stretch for me, but it is what it is. The thing that gets me is that each and every year they have the talent (based on recruiting classes) and a "mastermind" at coach, but they still get treated like they deserve to be in a big time bowl. ND should not have been in a bowl last year....come on, Syracuse! You cannot tell me as a ND fan that the media and some of your fans think just b/c they are ND they deserve to get whatever they want.

And starting the true freshman idea...is it difficult? Yes, however when you have the "top" kids in the nation, they should be able to handle it.

Really it makes sense, they did win their bowl game convincingly and they are loaded with supposed talent and their schedule should place them in the Sun Belt Conference.

ND has been "loaded" with supposed talent for the last three years. I think it was ol' Jimmy Clauson who predicted they would be winning NC year after year. I wish ND would just join a conference. The whole Independent thing is absolutely ridiculous.

I agree that their Independent status is annoying but my remarks are based upon their schedule they should probabyl end the season ranked, certainly if they were in the Big 12 or SEC they would probably be on the outside looking in but because of their softness they will finish ranked.

So what, that just makes up for the 3 loss ND team that was given a Fiesta Bowl berth in 2000. What team was it that was passed up for that bid I wonder........oh yeah, Nebraska! The same year NU brought the sea of red with them to South Bend and beat the Domers their our house!

Does anyone remember the score of that Fiesta Bowl? I sure do 41-17 Oregon State! I remember because as I was watching that game, after watching NU put up 60+ on an obviously inferior Northwestern team, that I would LOVE to have seen what a real football game would have looked like had ND not spoiled the party.

Seriously, if your looking for sympathy from a Husker message board, I have a feeling you won't find much.

Actually, the 2000 ND team was 9-2, ranked #10 going into the Fiesta Bowl. Nebraska was 9-2, ranked 9th. Should Nebraska have been in, instead? Yes. But again, as I said, no 3-loss ND team has been in a BCS bowl and won't in the future.

I just don't buy Penn State as a top 10 team this season. Just 8 returning starters, they also lost one of their projected LB starters for the season. #9? I don't think so. I see them as a 2-loss team in the Big 10 this season. Closer to their 06 and 07 teams, rather 2008.

They should get 8 or 9 automatic wins within their "so-called" conference.

I just don't buy Penn State as a top 10 team this season. Just 8 returning starters, they also lost one of their projected LB starters for the season. #9? I don't think so. I see them as a 2-loss team in the Big 10 this season. Closer to their 06 and 07 teams, rather 2008.

They should get 8 or 9 automatic wins within their "so-called" conference.

Probably true. I think one of the more unfortunate developments in college football in the last decade, is the weakening of out of conference games. I hate the way ND is scheduling now, yet I see some ranking based solely on that. They shouldn't. Penn State is ranked in the Top 10 because of their schedule....shouldn't they be penalized for having no road non-conference games, and their best game outside the Big 10 is against Syracuse? Last year, LSU was the defending national champions and their toughest non-conference game? Troy.

It's a shame that teams are being rewarded for dodging tough competition, but they are. It's a race to the bottom. If it happens that a 12-1 SEC or Big 12 team gets in over a 12-0 Penn State (or, through a miracle, ND), it would really send a message that I think could be beneficial to the game.

Rant over.

So what, that just makes up for the 3 loss ND team that was given a Fiesta Bowl berth in 2000. What team was it that was passed up for that bid I wonder........oh yeah, Nebraska! The same year NU brought the sea of red with them to South Bend and beat the Domers their our house!

Actually, the 2000 ND team was 9-2, ranked #10 going into the Fiesta Bowl. Nebraska was 9-2, ranked 9th. Should Nebraska have been in, instead? Yes. But again, as I said, no 3-loss ND team has been in a BCS bowl and won't in the future.

Yes, if SOS counts for anything, NU should have gotten the nod in 2000.

Given their creampuff schedule sprinkled with the service academies and other football midgets, ND prolly should not appear in any bowl played after Christmas. Ever. Generally they come into bowl season horrifically overranked, and then get exposed in a bowl they really didn’t deserve get invited to. What was ND’s consecutive bowl loss record before last season—something like 8 or 9 bowl games in a row that they lost wasn’t it? Good thing they were able to get on top of the mighty rainbow warriors last year in the Ah*blow*ha Bowl. Friggin Domers.

#1 - Michigan, Michigan State, and Purdue is a pseudo Big 10 schedule? ND plays Navy every year, yes. And others play the likes of Charleston Southern and Coastal Carolina. All 3 service academies? That happened in 2006, and Army was only added because the NCAA mandated a 12th game. It is rare that all 3 are on the schedule. Only happened a few times in the last 30 years. I won't defend the recent scheduling moves, however, traditionally ND's schedules have been strong. As recently as 2005, for instance, ND had 3 of the AP preseason Top 4 teams on the schedule, along with 2 others in the top 25.

#2 - Eh, okay.

#3 - So ND is hated because networks choose to broadcast them? Take that up with the networks. And they wouldn't bother if there wasn't interest.

#4 - Charlie Weis does not run a West Coast offense. I have mixed feelings on the man and won't defend him, but he is no reason why ND is hated. ND is hated under any coach.

I think Notre Dame is hated because regardless of how terrible they are, regardless of how many cupcake games they cough up, regardless of how piss weak their schedule is, EVERY season we have to have the same conversation. Is Notre Dame BCS bound? Should they be in the top 25? No. How the hell does a 7-6 team with nothing even close to a significant win annually draw the whores at ESPN into thinking they'll be back in the top 10? And the TV contracts, the service academies, the general weakness of everything associated with Notre Dame doesn't help, either.

Notre Dame seems to think it's the exception. It's special. We don't have to win––put us on NBC anyway. We don't have to play in a conference like everyone else. We don't have to schedule real teams from the Big XII or SEC. We can play the equivalent of a Sun Belt schedule and still wind up with the whole world thinking our program is among the elites.

EDIT

Oh, and another thing. During the spring, I believe, there was a Notre Dame week on ESPN. A week, goddammit! Why? Why! Why is Notre Dame the one team that deserves this onslaught of attention from the national media––which gives you, by the way, an advantage in recruiting? It just never ends. A mediocre program gets red carpet treatment. That's why everyone hates Notre Dame.

I still hate Notre Shame...but you're okay...notwithstanding being an Irish fan. :lol: