Asante

I have a kid that works for me that was a RB on the 07 KSU team. He was telling me that during film study

they took extra time to scheme against Asante. He was telling me how the coaches were gushing over Larry and they schemed away from him specifically. Freeman was supposed to audible away from Asante whenever he could.

With all the "good" coaching he is receiving now he could be poised to be the real deal this year. On the other hand, he said that they also knew that Larry wasn't too sharp in coverage though. If he can put it all together maybe an All American? :restore

I have always been impressed with his potential. He's very athletic and has some good speed. Unfortunately for him - and us - these have never really translated on the field. He definitely has the run support down, but his pass coverage hasn't been too crisp.

He has been hesitant and looked very slow at times. To me, this indicates thinking too much about the scheme and where he is supposed to be. Hopefully he has had enough reps that he doesn't need to think anymore and just reacts.

I have read many reports that say he knows his position on the field as well as everyone else's now. He's stepping up as a leader and can change the D based on what the offense is doing. If this is the case, I think everyone will be pretty surprised by Asante this year.

Hopefully "the Assassin" can get his stuff together for this season. He really just needs to tighten up his pass coverage, as does the whole secondary. That really is our Achilles heel on the defense. We had great run defense last year, and piss poor pass defense.

Hopefully "the Assassin" can get his stuff together for this season. He really just needs to tighten up his pass coverage, as does the whole secondary. That really is our Achilles heel on the defense. We had great run defense last year, and piss poor pass defense.

I like the comments I have heard about him and backfield this off season though. Little things like how everyone on the D now communicates to each other to ensure they are in the right positions. How that didn't happen last season according to Sanders. How last season their fundamentals were so messed up that Sanders had to re-teach them how to do simple tasks such as backpeddling correctly. Sanders talked about how he had to regress back to a very basic level and rebuild the group, we all saw how much they improved by the end of the year. That break up by O'Hanlon in the Gator bowl doesn't happen in Week #5. I just get the feeling the finally know what they are supposed to do and that they finally have the basic skills to accomplish their assignments. Here's to hoping I am right!

I like the comments I have heard about him and backfield this off season though. Little things like how everyone on the D now communicates to each other to ensure they are in the right positions. How that didn't happen last season according to Sanders. How last season their fundamentals were so messed up that Sanders had to re-teach them how to do simple tasks such as backpeddling correctly. Sanders talked about how he had to regress back to a very basic level and rebuild the group, we all saw how much they improved by the end of the year. That break up by O'Hanlon in the Gator bowl doesn't happen in Week #5. I just get the feeling the finally know what they are supposed to do and that they finally have the basic skills to accomplish their assignments. Here's to hoping I am right!

Yeah, if we can remain good against the run and improve our pass defense this year, I really like our chances in the pass happy Big 12 Conference.

when i watched the bowl game a few weeks ago, it seemed like if you watch when he moves up into the box in run support or blitz he was way more comfortable, and making big plays, but he seemed to have a hard time judging where the ball was going. I'm guessing even the old k-state staff knows more about football than any of us do, and he was second team all big 12 last year, right?

when i watched the bowl game a few weeks ago, it seemed like if you watch when he moves up into the box in run support or blitz he was way more comfortable, and making big plays, but he seemed to have a hard time judging where the ball was going. I'm guessing even the old k-state staff knows more about football than any of us do, and he was second team all big 12 last year, right?

Yes, yes he was. I think we see a much better back 4 this year.

I'm telling you, Asante was not the problem last year or the year before. That is why he was honored in All-B12 voting by coaches those two years. LB play in '07 and FS play (Thenarse and O'Hanlon) along with a new system were the problems last year.

I broke this down in depth before and I am not going to do it again. LA has been one of the best players on this defense for two seasons. If we could get Thenarse to keep his assignments or make O'Hanlon faster we would be in business.

Eric Hagg will be the starting FS this year at some point.