Cody Green #2?

SI.com

LINCOLN, Neb. (AP) -- Freshman Cody Green has taken the lead in the race for the No. 2 quarterback's job at 24th-ranked Nebraska.

Offensive coordinator Shawn Watson made the announcement after Tuesday's two-hour practice at the Hawks Championship Center. Green has been battling converted linebacker Latravis Washington to back up presumptive starter Zac Lee.

Watson said Washington, a junior, is competing hard as he tries to make up ground he's lost to Green.

Watson said Green's maturity has not only earned him respect from his teammates, but also from the coaching staff. Watson called Green a natural leader.

yah, i don't know how I feel about this

Doesn't matter how you feel. What matters is what the coaches think. And if the offensive coaches think he's the #2 QB then so be it.

For the record, I'd like to see Cody Green redshirt, but that's the coaches decision. And, if he's the #2 QB then the chances of him redshirting go down drastically.

But then again, even though he's the #2 QB, if he doesn't play a snap then he'll still 'shirt even though he's listed as the #2 QB on the depth chart.

:ahhhhhhhh

Play him Play Rex...build depth and competition at the skill positions.

Coaches think he's number 2 he is ready. ALL QB's in this league get dinged up, without depth and experience you backslide.

We need to get all the QB's real game experience...because none of them currently have it.

Zach is going to do great, and in doing great he'll mentor the others, when they gety in they'll develop the depth against the unavoidable injury gobblin.

We all agree depth is a weapon, inexperienced depth is a liability. We need to take our licks this season developing depth with experience. There is no substitute for it.

Same with REX, his highlight video convinced me that he's ready now, same circumstances, if he was not good enough to crack the 3 deep he should red shirt, but it is obvious he is good enough.

If we are lucky, the depth chart will reflect true competition, not slots based on age or class.

This is a unique time for the Huskers, the skill positions especially are loaded with inexperience...gotta go with giving these guys the experince needed to develop confidence and push thier mates from a drive to want to be the guy. A static depth chart based on age, not performance is a luxury this team cant afford.

We need game experience across the skill position depth chart to build a champion...

Wouldnt mind at all if burkhead, White, ,Jones and Mendoza, all shift around throughout the season because of thier practice play... you know the competition is fierce, and the depth and experience we all know we need, will reward the program.

I think he should be the situational #2 QB. Meaning if Lee goes down for the year - he would step in and be #1. However, if Lee goes down for a series or two, another QB should step in. Why waste a redshirt year on three or four plays?

Just my thoughts though.

Agreed. I'm really diggin him being put up in the #2 spot. I wonder, however, if he would be #2 or #3 depending on whether Spano had gone out earlier this year.

I think he should be the situational #2 QB. Meaning if Lee goes down for the year - he would step in and be #1. However, if Lee goes down for a series or two, another QB should step in. Why waste a redshirt year on three or four plays?

Just my thoughts though.

That is my thinking also, but if he is definately better than LTW I wonder what the coaches will do in mop up situations. On one hand it would be nice to get him game time experience to help him be ready just in case Lee goes down, knocks on wood. On the other it would be nice to try and have him ready to start for 3 years. I am starting to think they will put him in to get experience. At worst he has a legitimate shot to start for 2 years and you know the staff is going to keep recruiting QB's so it isn't like they won't have good players coming in behind him. Heck little Gabbert might be pretty good himself, maybe he pushes Green. We shall see. I for one hope we get to see how this situation plays out because that means the Huskers are up big early and often!

Green has been battling converted linebacker Latravis Washington to back up presumptive starter Zac Lee.

Converted linebacker?

Yep. Although LaTravius did play QB in high school if I'm not mistaken. And, I do believe that Ohio State and a couple other schools wanted LW as a QB.

How he ended up at Nebraska as a LB? :dunno

Good recruiting by the former staff I guess. :laughpound

Green has been battling converted linebacker Latravis Washington to back up presumptive starter Zac Lee.

Converted linebacker?

Yep. Although LaTravius did play QB in high school if I'm not mistaken. And, I do believe that Ohio State and a couple other schools wanted LW as a QB.

Gotcha. Thanks Jen.

Converted linebacker?

His first cousin is Fabian Washington and he always wanted to be a Husker. Callahan said, for good reason, he wouldn't fit as a QB in his system but LTW still wanted to be here.

His cousin is Fabian Washington and he always wanted to be a Husker. Callahan said, for good reason, he wouldn't fit as a QB in his system but LTW still wanted to be here.

I didn't realize that Fabian and Latravias were cousins... :blink: Somehow that little tidbit never made it onto my radar.

Oh and to the point of the original post: If Cody Green is going to be the #2 QB and not redshirt then he better play enough to make it worthwhile. I can envision packages where CG lines up at WR or even TE on passing plays.