Why all the Safety bashing???

One thing you WONT be seeing is Rusty Smith scrambling. This is NOT a spread offense with a Dual threat QB. If Rusty Smith is running down the field then something has gone HORRIBLY wrong for the offense. We will use our new RB (Alfred Morris) to setup the pass and keep you honest. But i dont expect many holes to be punched thru your DL.

Unless your O Line is like a wall of brick, I have concerns about Smith's immobility. If he can't move agilely to avoid pressure he's going to take some serious hits.

Oh dont get me wrong, he has enough instincts and footwork to avoid an initial Pass rush if they get thru. His rollout is fine, and thats where he usually connects with the TE's for short to mid range yardage.

What I meant was that you wont see any designed plays for him to scramble and gain yardage. The "Spread" offense that most are using these days employs a true Dual threat QB who can beat you with his legs as well as his arm. FAU runs the pro set, so thats just not in our playbook and we try to recruit your proto-typical pocket passer QB to run it.

I hate the spread, just seems crazy to me to have your QB run smack dab into the middle of all those beefy lineman and linebackers. They almost ALWAYS get hurt.

One thing you WONT be seeing is Rusty Smith scrambling. This is NOT a spread offense with a Dual threat QB. If Rusty Smith is running down the field then something has gone HORRIBLY wrong for the offense. We will use our new RB (Alfred Morris) to setup the pass and keep you honest. But i dont expect many holes to be punched thru your DL.

Unless your O Line is like a wall of brick, I have concerns about Smith's immobility. If he can't move agilely to avoid pressure he's going to take some serious hits.

Oh dont get me wrong, he has enough instincts and footwork to avoid an initial Pass rush if they get thru. His rollout is fine, and thats where he usually connects with the TE's for short to mid range yardage.

What I meant was that you wont see any designed plays for him to scramble and gain yardage. The "Spread" offense that most are using these days employs a true Dual threat QB who can beat you with his legs as well as his arm. FAU runs the pro set, so thats just not in our playbook and we try to recruit your proto-typical pocket passer QB to run it.

I hate the spread, just seems crazy to me to have your QB run smack dab into the middle of all those beefy lineman and linebackers. They almost ALWAYS get hurt.

NU's offense is unique in that aspect. The base is a WCO but they have included a lot of Zone Read run plays and other Spread/Option type of plays. Also the WCO uses a lot of under center plays, NU has gone to a lot more Shotgun snaps but this may change as the indications are we will see an emphasis on the power run game.

Speaking of safeties - specifically Larry Asante - did anyone find it particularly interesting that he was chosen as one of the three players to speak at the press conference yesterday?

I did and I think it speaks volumes on how the Coaches feel about him right now. There has been a lot of talk of Asante really stepping up his game, we need it to happen.

Thenarse definately needs to get the plays down in the secondary, if he could he would be a beast considering his play on special teams. Hagg, as someone said before, is going to be a wait and see type of guy in that position and I personally think he'll do well. O'Hanlon needs to pay attention to his angles in the secondary because I remember several times last season where he was out of position and got burnt bad. Asante.......................don't get me started.

Asante is the most physically gifted athlete we have on that defense besides Suh. If the lighbulb clicked on this offseason for him (which I think it did) I think you're looking at an all conference saftey. He's quick, he's agile, he's strong, and he knows how to hit. If he can get the mental aspect of the game down and know how to react instead of think, I think we're looking at big things for him this season. (80+ tackles, 6+ interceptions big).

He may be a gifted individual, but he hasn't shown us what he's capable of at this point. I hope he turns the corner and gets the mental aspect down. I agree he has the tools, he just needs to figure out how to use them. That's why he annoys me at times, he has it damnit, figure out how to use it.

He may be a gifted individual, but he hasn't shown us what he's capable of at this point.

Wow. Just think of how many players on our roster we could say that about.

If our team plays up to its potential, there isn't a date on our schedule we can't win. They talk about the leap that some teams have made under second year head coaches. Maybe we're due?

All I know is, I'm ready to see some magic.