Things I want to see against Arkansas State

Lots of positives from the game on Saturday, but there are things that need to be shored up and fixed if we want to compete with VT in Blacksburg, AKA Blackwater.

Here's what I want to see:

1) More PR and KR yards. Paul had one okay return, but nothing to get too excited about, especially considering the opponent. Going into VT and conference play, field position will be a big deal and would give our offense (and defense) a huge advantage.

2) Better rushing defense. That was way too many yards to give up to FAU on the ground. Granted, there were alot of rush attempts, but if FAU can gain 135 yards rushing against us, what are some of the better rushing teams going to do against us?

3) No turnovers.

4) Better pass protection.

5) FAU hung 236 yards passing on our D. If FAU is hanging 236 yards passing on us, what are other Big 12 teams going to do?

Yeah, I know. I'm nit picky. But these are the things I will be looking for against Arkansas State.

5) FAU hung 236 yards passing on our D. If FAU is hanging 236 yards passing on us, what are other Big 12 teams going to do?

We did a pretty good job on their passing, IMO. We had a couple dropped picks at the end of the half. Two legit picks by Prince and O'Hanlon. And that pick that got negated by the roughing the passer penalty - but our still coverage got that pick fair and square, so it's not totally fair to discount it. Plus, most of their yards came on that one play where Lawrence seemed to fall asleep before coming back over to chase down the FB. If I recall, they had a pretty lousy completion % and despite the max protect, our secondary did a pretty good number on them. All this after all that hype about Rusty Smith.

I'm not especially worried about Ark. State. It seems every year we have mid-major or cupcake opponents hyped up. And it's true, I'm sure they have some hardworking kids and some real talent, plus a nice story to go with their head coach. Nevada with their injured star linebacker (Ezra Butler?)...San Jose State with their Cal transfer QB Reed and HC, Western Michigan with their talented secondary and tight end. When you put it that way, everybody's got talent. You can write a good article about any team, and deservedly so. So Ark State has a good QB...well, bring it. We'll demolish them just like the others, because while they may be good, we're Nebraska.

The one thing I noticed about A-state is thier O-line they are strong and mesh very well with thier rushing attack. Our D needs to be ready and DOMINATE them!

In which game did you see this? They're pretty banged up along the O Line.

I saw the highlight footage on youtube from thier season opener. O- line had thier way with MVS D ... But we have much more size and talent so I think we should just be a bit cautious either way. GBR!