Nebraska Opponent #5: How good is Missouri?

carlfense

I didn't get a chance to watch the MU/Illinois game until this evening and from the box score the Tigers looked pretty impressive. After actually seeing the game . . . I'm a bit torn. Gabbert looked sharp, especially for his first collegiate start. That said, Illinois' pass defense was absolutely atrocious. (Some might say Cosgrove-esque.) Similary, Illinois seemed to lack the basic fundamentals that any decent defensive team must possess. (Primarily tackling . . . I haven't seen that many missed tackles since 2007.) Anyways, I feel much better about Nebraska's chances after actually watching the game. Our defense appears to be far better than the Illini defense, unless of course Missouri's offense is actually that good. I guess we'll find out on October 8.

What are your thoughts?

ILL may prove to be better than they were last weekend but I can give a first hand account that they were flat out pathetic. Juice couldn't complete a forward pass and his receivers were dropping passes all over the place. Defensively they are probably not as bad as they showed Sat but they were on the field a lot.

That said MU was sharp, prepared, well coached. Gabbert played great considering it was his first college start. There is no Maclin but on the whole our talent at receiver is deep. TE is good but not off the charts like the last couple of years. The Oline will be a little better than it has been in the past.

Defensively I am skeptical. Saturday's performance was great but as I said at the top we had help from ILL. I saw a lot of open receivers on Sat that Juice either couldn't hit or when he did they dropped balls. I don't think we'll have the breakdowns we did in the past but the secondary is still somewhat ordinary. Our DE's are better than last yr but our DT's aren't quite as good. LB's may be a little better. I am not sure yet. It is good enough to beat up on Colorado, Iowa State, Kstate, etc. Beyond that I am not sure.

ILL may prove to be better than they were last weekend but I can give a first hand account that they were flat out pathetic. Juice couldn't complete a forward pass and his receivers were dropping passes all over the place. Defensively they are probably not as bad as they showed Sat but they were on the field a lot.

That said MU was sharp, prepared, well coached. Gabbert played great considering it was his first college start. There is no Maclin but on the whole our talent at receiver is deep. TE is good but not off the charts like the last couple of years. The Oline will be a little better than it has been in the past.

Defensively I am skeptical. Saturday's performance was great but as I said at the top we had help from ILL. I saw a lot of open receivers on Sat that Juice either couldn't hit or when he did they dropped balls. I don't think we'll have the breakdowns we did in the past but the secondary is still somewhat ordinary. Our DE's are better than last yr but our DT's aren't quite as good. LB's may be a little better. I am not sure yet. It is good enough to beat up on Colorado, Iowa State, Kstate, etc. Beyond that I am not sure.

Thanks for the write-up parkvilletiger. It should be an interesting matchup . . . at least I hope.

I would agree with you. Illinois looked horrible and very unprepared.

Missou's offense looked very good, but the Illinois defense didn't play up to its potential. And they were putting pressure on Gabbert early on and it seemed to be working, and then for some reason, they just went away from that and gave him all day to throw. If you give any QB that amount of time, eventually someone will get open.

I'm real excited about this game. It also has an interesting twist since it is on a Thursday. More than likely, Missou will be 4-0 while Nebraska will be 3-1. I really want to see our D against a pass happy offense to see how we fare. I am also interested to see what the defense has actually been working on during the off-season. I'm sure it won't be as vanilla as we saw against FAU.

October 8th can't come soon enough!

I didn't get a chance to watch the MU/Illinois game until this evening and from the box score the Tigers looked pretty impressive. After actually seeing the game . . . I'm a bit torn. Gabbert looked sharp, especially for his first collegiate start. That said, Illinois' pass defense was absolutely atrocious. (Some might say Cosgrove-esque.) Similary, Illinois seemed to lack the basic fundamentals that any decent defensive team must possess. (Primarily tackling . . . I haven't seen that many missed tackles since 2007.) Anyways, I feel much better about Nebraska's chances after actually watching the game. Our defense appears to be far better than the Illini defense, unless of course Missouri's offense is actually that good. I guess we'll find out on October 8.

What are your thoughts?

Missouri looked like last years team with different players, but it was just one game. Plus the big ten sucks!!

We have a chance in any game this year, just depends how much the defense and offense progress before game 5

Everyone looks like a winner until Suh smashes their face in.

Has he played against MU in the past games...I couldnt tell by the stat sheets. ;) j/k

Mu is not as good as they have been, maybe more talented overall, but not really there yet. The game didnt tell me as much as I had hoped, but like I told another friend of mine (NE fan) even if Ill. sucked and didnt play well. Mu did what they were supposed too, they made them look worse and beat them soundly. Maybe Ill gets it together, maybe they dont. Really i could care less either way. We wont know too much more about MU until the NE game