What Happened on That Kick Return Today?

Enhance

There definitely wasn't just a hard hit and the players pushed on his neck trying to get up....

I was watching from the fifty, and actually happened to be watching Martin the entire kickoff because he's pretty crazy pre-kickoff, pumping up the fans. He did get hit by two ASU players, but he was held down on the ground (TRYING to get up) for well over 10 seconds. If you guys in the other part of the stadium didn't notice it, westside stadium was screaming for a penalty (at least where I was).

Like HSKRNOKC said... The refs today were "slow"...

... For a lack of stronger words.

:angry:

I was in the Northeast endzone and was watching Martin on the whole play. Both sides were being physical and the ASU guys took Martin down and were on top of him. They were on top of him for quite a while and they were doing something to Martin. Martin was kind of pushing back to get them off, but they wouldn't let him up. So yeah Blackshirt I saw it from the east side and we were all yelling over there for the refs to do something.

Sorry to throw this in too, but that holding call on Paul's touchdown catch that got called back...did that flag come like after we scored the touchdown? I mean it seemed like a really late flag to me. And I can say it since I am just a fan, but these refs sucked. Oh yeah and the fumble...was a fumble. They reviewed and still said it wasn't...yeah refs you guys suck and too bad we can't tell you not to officiate for us anymore.

There definitely wasn't just a hard hit and the players pushed on his neck trying to get up....

I was watching from the fifty, and actually happened to be watching Martin the entire kickoff because he's pretty crazy pre-kickoff, pumping up the fans. He did get hit by two ASU players, but he was held down on the ground (TRYING to get up) for well over 10 seconds. If you guys in the other part of the stadium didn't notice it, westside stadium was screaming for a penalty (at least where I was).

Like HSKRNOKC said... The refs today were "slow"...

... For a lack of stronger words.

:angry:

I was in the Northeast endzone and was watching Martin on the whole play. Both sides were being physical and the ASU guys took Martin down and were on top of him. They were on top of him for quite a while and they were doing something to Martin. Martin was kind of pushing back to get them off, but they wouldn't let him up. So yeah Blackshirt I saw it from the east side and we were all yelling over there for the refs to do something.

Sorry to throw this in too, but that holding call on Paul's touchdown catch that got called back...did that flag come like after we scored the touchdown? I mean it seemed like a really late flag to me. And I can say it since I am just a fan, but these refs sucked. Oh yeah and the fumble...was a fumble. They reviewed and still said it wasn't...yeah refs you guys suck and too bad we can't tell you not to officiate for us anymore.

Thanks for all the insight as to what happened guys.

I don't want to sit here and lay out the refs for the game they called, but it does seem to be a recurring event that they don't make the best of calls nowadays (but when have they?). I saw the replay once, and you could see the ball pop out about half a second before his knee hit the ground. It should have been a fumble, but maybe they pulled out the ol' "must have irrefutable evidence" shtuff. I still think it should have been a fumble though.

And on the 70 yard touchdown pass, I noticed the flag while Paul was running past the ASU 40 yard line, so it had been on the ground by the time he had crossed the endzone. I remember specifically because I looked back towards the line of scrimmage and saw the flags. I stopped celebrating as soon as Paul hit the 40 or so ASU yard line because a flag back there is usually a 50/50 shot between a late hit penalty or holding, and I remember seeing Zac Lee still standing.

Have any of you actually been hit in the throat before? My guess is no, because if you had you would know it's kind of like getting hit in the balls. At first it might not be so bad, but once it starts to swell you realize, sh#t I can't breathe very well!

Some of you fans should be ashamed, and should maybe pull your heads out of your asses before you accuse one of our players of faking an injury to "cover his own ass"!

I was in East stadium, Couldn't see it all that well but from the replay it looked as if the Asu guys shoved off of him when they got up. I,m not surprised the ref's didnt call anything, they clearly missed two call's the fumble in the first being one of them

If you were to ask a Husker fan who didn't see the game (damn PPV) and got all his info about the incident by reading this thread, it sounds like Martin was running his mouth a bit too much and some ASU players took offense and taught him a lesson.

As for the refs not seeing it, don't forget that their attention is usually focused on where the ball is. Where was it on this play?

Side note: I'd like to see an officiating crew made up of everyone that bashes officials on this thread try to referree a pee-wee game. You'd look like complete idiots...

By the way, the white hat was standing DIRECTLY in front of the incident occurring, no more than 15 yards from where Martin and the ASU players were on the ground. Now people forget that yes, "the ref's attention is focused on where the ball is.", but the fans attention is usually focused on where the ball is as well. If fans a good 40 yards or FURTHER away from where this incident was happening notice it, how does the ref not?

Now, I know everyone is human, and I am not going to sit here and say I could do a better job then the refs that do this as a career. But the big 12 is notorious, much like the PAC-10 for having refs that seemingly "miss" many more calls than they should.

This is not a cry for Nebraska getting screwed either. On Niles Paul's reverse touchdown, there was a block in the back as he cut the corner by one of our tight ends that was so obvious, I actually didn't even celebrate right away because I was expecting a call. The missed calls go both ways. There is nothing that can be done about it, because.... as stated, these refs are humans and until we start reviewing penalties (Which would be absolutely F#&*ing ridiculous), mistakes will continue to happen. :dunno

:restore

I was in East stadium, Couldn't see it all that well but from the replay it looked as if the Asu guys shoved off of him when they got up. I,m not surprised the ref's didnt call anything, they clearly missed two call's the fumble in the first being one of them

If you were to ask a Husker fan who didn't see the game (damn PPV) and got all his info about the incident by reading this thread, it sounds like Martin was running his mouth a bit too much and some ASU players took offense and taught him a lesson.

As for the refs not seeing it, don't forget that their attention is usually focused on where the ball is. Where was it on this play?

Side note: I'd like to see an officiating crew made up of everyone that bashes officials on this thread try to referree a pee-wee game. You'd look like complete idiots...

By the way, the white hat was standing DIRECTLY in front of the incident occurring, no more than 15 yards from where Martin and the ASU players were on the ground. Now people forget that yes, "the ref's attention is focused on where the ball is.", but the fans attention is usually focused on where the ball is as well. If fans a good 40 yards or FURTHER away from where this incident was happening notice it, how does the ref not?

Now, I know everyone is human, and I am not going to sit here and say I could do a better job then the refs that do this as a career. But the big 12 is notorious, much like the PAC-10 for having refs that seemingly "miss" many more calls than they should.

This is not a cry for Nebraska getting screwed either. On Niles Paul's reverse touchdown, there was a block in the back as he cut the corner by one of our tight ends that was so obvious, I actually didn't even celebrate right away because I was expecting a call. The missed calls go both ways. There is nothing that can be done about it, because.... as stated, these refs are humans and until we start reviewing penalties (Which would be absolutely F#&*ing ridiculous), mistakes will continue to happen. :dunno

Yeah you make a really good point there and I know I shouldn't bash the refs cause hey it happens. I didn't get to see what really happened on Niles TD catch that got called back for holding, so I was really asking about that in case any one here was wondering. I saw the block in the back though on Paul's reverse and yeah those are the calls that don't really bother me too much (even when it happens to us I don't get too upset cause I know that is part of the game). I get upset usually when it is unsportsmanlike and the guys who really started it don't get penalized for it. You could say Martin was doing some talking...but this is football and you can't control the actions of some people but you can control your own actions. Those ASU guys shouldn't have done it.

Now I will say to the ASU fans that other than that you guys played a heck of a game. I loved how your dline played and you guys have a lot of talent. So just sweeping this under the rug and ASU played physical at times and grats to them for playing hard the whole game. Good luck with the rest of the season ASU and I think you guys can take your conference.

they clearly missed two call's the fumble in the first being one of them

the fumble was a ridiculous missed call. what made me even madder was that during the whole time reviewing the play, they never showed the replay again in the stadium...... wtf, on TV all they do is show replays of the play being reviewed from like 80 different angles.

You mean this "fumble"?

NUvASU.jpg

And I think it is early an NCAA rule or Big 12 policy not to show plays under review...?

I was definitely looking for a flag on that since it was pretty obvious and very near where the ball was at the time. I watch a lot of college football and there is simply a lot of bad officiating going on all over the place, not just at our games. As stated, they are human and I normally don't get overly upset unless it interferes with the outcome or if it's just bad from start to finish. A few missed calls, or miss-calls are going to happen, though.

I was definitely looking for a flag on that since it was pretty obvious and very near where the ball was at the time. I watch a lot of college football and there is simply a lot of bad officiating going on all over the place, not just at our games. As stated, they are human and I normally don't get overly upset unless it interferes with the outcome or if it's just bad from start to finish. A few missed calls, or miss-calls are going to happen, though.

it's getting worse each year.

I noticed the block in the back while watching highlights (couldn't see it from my seat) but there was a ref literally parallel to that point on the side line. I'm amazed he missed it.

I know they are human, but they made/missed calls yesterday that are borderline horrendous. The one that standouts in my mind is the hit on Eric Martin. Other ones that should have been paid more close attention to was the first fumble ASU had and the block in the back. Not saying I'm upset that they didn't flag us, but there are enough refs on the field to the point of where many of these calls should have been made.

Watch the video on that "block in the back" again. The NU blocker engaged the ASU defender face-to-face. The ASU player proceeded past our guy, and there was continual contact.

Had there been no prior contact and our guy popped him in the numbers they would have thrown the flag. At the end of contact our guy was still partially on the side of the defender. They're going to chalk that up to "finishing the block" and they will almost never, ever throw a flag.

Eric Martin offered an explanation for the unsportsmanlike conduct penalty called on him after he removed his helmet at the end of a second-quarter NU kickoff.

The freshman linebacker said he took a forearm in the throat from an Arkansas State player.

“I lost my airway, and my (chin strap) was over my mouth,” he said. “I couldn't breathe. I had to take my helmet off so I could get some air.”

Martin fell to the turf in apparent pain after the penalty was announced. The 15-yard foul was Martin's second in two games. He was flagged for a personal foul against Florida Atlantic.

He said Arkansas State used a double team to try to stop him on kickoff coverage in the first quarter before sending three players at him on the play that resulted in the penalty.

“I wasn't trying to fight them,” Martin said. “I was backing away. I didn't want no problems. I'm just trying to play football.”

http://www.omaha.com/article/20090914/BIGRED/709149800