No Respect...Yet.

craigsker

I think it hurts us even if we just win by a wisker

Now come on...most of the country is expecting us to lose this game...when we win...big or small..it's a W that we can be proud of! I don't care if Va Tech goes on to lose every other game this season...going into another teams house and pulling off an upset (and it would be an upset) is a win to hang your hat on.....

This is the weekend they earn the respect of the media, fans, and the rest of college football. If they really want it - they will win. If not - they won't.

It is that simple.

Let's see if they have it in them.

It is not that simple. The VT DL is simply better than is the NU offensive line and thus VT will stop our run cold and make is one dimensional. They have more horses -- in the trenches --- than us. Our LB'ers are raw, inexperienced and will be handled easily by the Ol of VT if they hit the second sphere (if our DL can occupy the VT OL and keep them off the LB'ers that would help a great deal).

But there is no doubt that VT has better athletes than NU. It is not just "who wants it more" --- it is NU on the road against a more talented team.

Really? No doubt at all that NU might have even one or two better athletes than VT? Come on! VT has had a pretty poor offense for several years now. You really think our offense isn't better than theirs? Or that we don't have as good of athletes? Can you name me a single VT offensive skill player better than an NU one? The 2 QB's are quite different, but I'd take Lee over Taylor based on what I've seen so far. Helu is still the better RB. Does VT have a WR or TE the quality of any of ours? (I actually don't know, they might.)

Sure we have some players that are better than theirs. And yes our offense is better than theirs --- but our offense plays their defense (our strength against theirs) and they will stop our run because their DL will beat our OL. We'll be one dimensional and that will be rough on NU

When we are on defense our DL will have to occupy their OL so as not to allow them to get out onto our inexperienced LR's --- if the NU DL cannot do this, VT will run the ball well against us.

The difference is one of match ups --- I think that we will not run on them well and they will run on us well. That usually means trouble. I'd love to see a victory --- but I expect that we will lose handily. But.... a turnover or two... a big play and d maybe...

But for one to say we win if we want it bad enough is well... not at all acurate. We may want it plenty and still not match up well. They are a team with more developed talent than Nu and NU is on the road. Expecting victory is not reasonable. Hoping for victory sure... but I think it a long shot.

I've been wrong before and hopefully I'm wrong again. I just see a 14 pt VT win.

When

I think it hurts us even if we just win by a wisker

Now come on...most of the country is expecting us to lose this game...when we win...big or small..it's a W that we can be proud of! I don't care if Va Tech goes on to lose every other game this season...going into another teams house and pulling off an upset (and it would be an upset) is a win to hang your hat on.....

We are only a three point dog so I do not think everone thinks we are going to lose. We are close to being ranked the same 14 vs 18 and VT has a loss. They (VT) will drop out of the top 25 with a second loss and at home. And trhe Big 12 is not looking real strong so far.

Sure we have some players that are better than theirs. And yes our offense is better than theirs --- but our offense plays their defense (our strength against theirs) and they will stop our run because their DL will beat our OL. We'll be one dimensional and that will be rough on NU

When we are on defense our DL will have to occupy their OL so as not to allow them to get out onto our inexperienced LR's --- if the NU DL cannot do this, VT will run the ball well against us.

The difference is one of match ups --- I think that we will not run on them well and they will run on us well. That usually means trouble. I'd love to see a victory --- but I expect that we will lose handily. But.... a turnover or two... a big play and d maybe...

But for one to say we win if we want it bad enough is well... not at all acurate. We may want it plenty and still not match up well. They are a team with more developed talent than Nu and NU is on the road. Expecting victory is not reasonable. Hoping for victory sure... but I think it a long shot.

I've been wrong before and hopefully I'm wrong again. I just see a 14 pt VT win.

When

I was mostly responding to this quote of yours, "But there is no doubt that VT has better athletes than NU."

As for VT running all over us, look at the rushing stats from last year's game:

# Player No Gain Loss Net TD Avg Long

5 Tyrod Taylor 15 91 4 87 1 5.8 30

19 Danny Coale 1 0 1 -1 0 -1 0

20 Kenny Lewis 17 58 8 50 0 2.9 12

32 Darren Evans 21 75 3 72 2 3.4 19

198 Team 1 0 2 -2 0 -2 0

Totals 55 224 18 206 3

Not exactly dominating - the QB had most of the yards, not the OL blowing us off the line as you suggest. You do make a good point about our young LB's maybe getting caught up by their OL, and that is certainly possible. But I don't think it's going to be quite to the degree you're suggesting. I'd also like to point out that VT has new starters this season at C and RG, so it's not like a loaded OL from last year with everyone returning.

I'll go ahead and say I think NU will move the ball at times on VT, we have a multiple offense and can hurt them in several ways (as we did last year). And I think VT will be able to run the ball against us at times. But I think this game comes down to that NU will be able to throw effectively and VT will not. Close game going to NU very late (a game-winning kick for Henery, maybe).

This is the weekend they earn the respect of the media, fans, and the rest of college football. If they really want it - they will win. If not - they won't.

It is that simple.

It is not that simple. The VT DL is simply better than is the NU offensive line and thus VT will stop our run cold and make is one dimensional. They have more horses -- in the trenches --- than us. Our LB'ers are raw, inexperienced and will be handled easily by the Ol of VT if they hit the second sphere (if our DL can occupy the VT OL and keep them off the LB'ers that would help a great deal).

But there is no doubt that VT has better athletes than NU. It is not just "who wants it more" --- it is NU on the road against a more talented team.

completely disagree. they may have a slight edge against our oline but it is very slight and our dline is worlds ahead of their oline....they have given up 8 sacks in two games this season.

all of our skill players on offense are better than theirs and on d our dline is better than theirs.

we win by 2 tds....

:horns2

When

I was mostly responding to this quote of yours, "But there is no doubt that VT has better athletes than NU."

As for VT running all over us, look at the rushing stats from last year's game:

# Player No Gain Loss Net TD Avg Long

5 Tyrod Taylor 15 91 4 87 1 5.8 30

19 Danny Coale 1 0 1 -1 0 -1 0

20 Kenny Lewis 17 58 8 50 0 2.9 12

32 Darren Evans 21 75 3 72 2 3.4 19

198 Team 1 0 2 -2 0 -2 0

Totals 55 224 18 206 3

Not exactly dominating - the QB had most of the yards, not the OL blowing us off the line as you suggest. You do make a good point about our young LB's maybe getting caught up by their OL, and that is certainly possible. But I don't think it's going to be quite to the degree you're suggesting. I'd also like to point out that VT has new starters this season at C and RG, so it's not like a loaded OL from last year with everyone returning.

I'll go ahead and say I think NU will move the ball at times on VT, we have a multiple offense and can hurt them in several ways (as we did last year). And I think VT will be able to run the ball against us at times. But I think this game comes down to that NU will be able to throw effectively and VT will not. Close game going to NU very late (a game-winning kick for Henery, maybe).

Man I hope you are right. I come from that old school --- as I imagine many Husker fans do --- that says that the team that runs better and defends the run better wins. It seems that VT gets the nod on this. Not blow out stuff but yes I think they command the ground game. And.... 8 times out of ten the one who commands the ground game wins.

Unless the QB --- Lee performs stupendeously --- and that is entirely possible as you say --- I think is already good (really good) and will be great --- but unless he really is hot it will be tough to win if VT controls the run and the run defense.

But, I could be wrong.... maybe we stop their run. If so, it could be close. I am relatively certain that we will not run effectively on them.

So... I hope you are right!

Go NU.

we haqvent done anything to deserve respect......

as for them making our O one dimensional.... lets not forget that their O is already 1 dimensional before we step on the field. and I think we can supplement a short passing attack for running..... plus lee can do something that we havent been able to do in quite some time..... stretch the field.

THIS IS THE WEEK an announcer will no longer mistake a t-shirt saying zac lee and say "i think they mean zac robinson."

Does anyone know which announcer that was? I know it was during Missouri-Illinois, but I don't know who was calling the game. I'm hoping it was someone who usually covers the Big Ten...

:facepalm: I find it sad how many Husker fans have already chalked this game up as loss. And not just a loss either, but a big one. Seriously where has all the faith gone? Do none of you remember last years game? Apparently not, because VT didn't beat the Huskers last year, the Huskers beat themselves. So just what makes the Hokies so much more dangerous now is beyond me.

Tell you what though, after the Huskers beat VT. (not IF but WHEN) I am going to start a thread titled "I'm sorry Huskers: Why I was so wrong about this team" And I want all you doubters, haters, and doom and gloom clowns to post exactly what it is that has made you such maniacal haters. Don't be shy either guys, because there are a LOT of you!

it will get very ugly if we lose and be very hard to regain any stature. I think it hurts us even if we just win by a wisker. WE NEED TO VIRTUALLY DEMOLISH THE HOAKIES

Wrong, wrong wrong!!!!!!!!

On the road, facing a higher ranked opponent and being an underdog-a win is a win in this case.

Keep in mind that Neb isn't supposed to win this game.

it really is not a matter of being "haters"......it's just that this team, especially the D has failed to show real dominance against lesser opponents, so yes, it would be something of a surprise and yes, it will take a huge effort and "cranking it up about 3 notches" is where we will have to go to win this one..........

it really is not a matter of being "haters"......it's just that this team, especially the D has failed to show real dominance against lesser opponents, so yes, it would be something of a surprise and yes, it will take a huge effort and "cranking it up about 3 notches" is where we will have to go to win this one..........

Absolutely right Hunter. No hate at all --- man I LOVE THE HUSKERS. But my love for the Huskers will not enable one block or one tackle to be made. The team is what it is... and I love them. But... they are rightly underdogs on the road against a ranked team. It has been a decade since NU won under those circumstances. I hope they do it... I simply doubt that they will.

Tell you what though, after the Huskers beat VT. (not IF but WHEN) I am going to start a thread titled "I'm sorry Huskers: Why I was so wrong about this team" And I want all you doubters, haters, and doom and gloom clowns to post exactly what it is that has made you such maniacal haters. Don't be shy either guys, because there are a LOT of you!

I would hardly consider myself a "hater." I just recognize the challenge that awaits us. It's going to be a stinking tough game. Virginia Tech has displayed proficiency in the exact area where Nebraska demonstrated a weakness: stopping the run and containing a mobile quarterback. We had trouble containing Corey Leonard (his numbers don't reflect it, but he got sacked so many times it brings it down). Florida Atlantic threw to the flat with near impunity against our starters. You can bet that Virginia Tech is watching that tape.

Apparently acknowledging this makes me a "hater." Good to know.

It is that simple.

No - it's a matter of whether or not NU wants it more.