No longer talking with emotion

HANC

Okay...... I have calmed way down and and proud of the way the Huskers played on the road. If we play on the road like this the remainder of the season, we will be okay...

Now, this is a serious question, not a knock on Lee or am I "calling" out his play..... any insight on what caused him to play so poorly?

Yes, he made a few good throws (incomplete TD attempt) and made a few good runs, but as a whole, he really had an off game. I know there is NO RIGHT ANSWER, just opinions. Was VT's defense that good, did he get a little overwhelmed in his first BIG road test, or did he just have an "off" day.

My guess is a little of everything. He will be fine, just a rough day.

Okay...... I have calmed way down and and proud of the way the Huskers played on the road. If we play on the road like this the remainder of the season, we will be okay...

Now, this is a serious question, not a knock on Lee or am I "calling" out his play..... any insight on what caused him to play so poorly?

Yes, he made a few good throws (incomplete TD attempt) and made a few good runs, but as a whole, he really had an off game. I know there is NO RIGHT ANSWER, just opinions. Was VT's defense that good, did he get a little overwhelmed in his first BIG road test, or did he just have an "off" day.

My guess is a little of everything. He will be fine, just a rough day.

I think he struggled because this was the first time he faced real tough coverage and dealing with receivers not being able to get open during his reads like they did in the 1st two games. VT also put pressure on him more consistently than FAU or AKST. And finally, don't forget that home-field advantage that we have here.. well they have one about like ours as well.

My own thought was that he was just rattled (he had some pretty off-key balls), but various other explanations I've seen:

- Dropped balls

- Getting hit while throwing

- Throwing away due to pressure

- Receivers never getting open

- Hurting his hand?

I don't know about int #1 though. That looked like it was all on Zac.

Personally i thought Lee did a decent job in the first half of the game. I saw that a few people were not happy with the constant running game in the 1st quarter and wanted Lee to air it out. But i thought it was good call, to establish a running game whether it was working or not to try and bring the safties up before going long and to wait for the crowd to calm down some.

Even though Lee didn't have a TD in the 1st half, i thought he was passing well, and making good decisions.

It was in the 2nd half that something went wrong and things went downhill for him. The game could've turned ugly if our defense was not able to hold VaTech from scoring more points. Lee did a good job getting the offense in range of a FG attempt, but TD's would have been better. Helu was tearing it up on the ground, but we kept going to the air and missed opportunities to capitalized on good field position and penalites that VaTech were commiting.

This was a learning experience for Lee, especially being his first road game vs. a good team like VaTech.

I think Lee will be fine, given we go against ULL and a bye week before we go against Mizzou in Columbia.

This IS one of the highest ranked defenses in the NCAA. Don't know if they got in his head at some point or what. He could have made a few better decisions, but then he had some balls that were dropped that should have been caught too. He did run for some first downs, too, when it was available. I am not going to write him off because he seemed to have an off day against this particular defense.

We all have also been complaining that Helu needed to step it up a bit...and he did that. I wish they would work in some plays where there was more than one back in the backfield...seems like the defense can just key on him, and Lee. If there was another back there, he could give them more options, and block.