No longer talking with emotion

HANC

VT is a good defensive team. However we have played NOBODY and all those stats were based on playing nobody. We are not as good a passing team AT THIS POINT as we were with Ganz Pedersen and Swift. We might get better--but we are not even close at this point. Winning the Sunbelt conference doesn't get you much in the BCS

He is pretty inexperienced. That is what happens when a lot of kids play in their first big road game. The dude threw FOUR completions for 34 yards last year against K-State and Western Michigan in garbage time. He had no real experience. I know I sound like a broken record, but this was the kids first real game. It was in Blacksburg against a good defense. That is a rough deal. He made some plays, but he played like a guy who needed some experience. Look at USC today... they lost because of their QB... period. So did you. He will get better. I just wish we played you guys early in the season, it could be a different story after he gets a few games under his belt. To think a kid will walk out in his first major situation against a worthy opponent, in a hostile situation, and that he will make great decisions and be on his game, that is expecitng a lot. I think people are being unfair to think he is going ot walk out and play like Ganz in a game like this... If you had Ganz, you win. if you had Zac Lee next year, or maybe even at the end of this year, same story. Until then, be a little patient with the kid and try to realize adjusting to his position is not easy unless you are playing the little sisters of the poor with a good Nebrsaka team around you...

The difference between the first and second halves was really marked...it wasn't just that he was under pressure and there was good coverage....he missed many wide open, routine, short/intermediate throws.....11/30 is not "managing the game"

There was either something physically wrong with him or he lost his mind having to think about how big a game it was at half time....but if you've had all summer to prepare and think about this game, why would you be fine in the first half and wait until the second half to lose it? I don't know....didn't see anything physical other than that tweaked knee, but he was off the rails before that happened....gotta assume he choked and hope that this will be a learning opportunity for future big games...

Doesn't help either when a receiver has a ball go right through his hands in the corner of the endzone...

DB grabbed his arm just as he was about to catch it, should've been pass interference....I think that questionable deep pass interference call we got later was a make-up for it....

I agree that the refs missed pass interference there. My game watching mates all felt that way.

After one series when Lee came off the field the camera was on him and he was blowing on his thumb and that made me and a friend wonder if he hurt his hand. After that point most of his throws were off the mark so that seemed like it could have been a plausible guess.

I missed that but saw it in another thread. Could have contributed. I do think he made some better decisions in the second half regarding whether to run.

He is pretty inexperienced. That is what happens when a lot of kids play in their first big road game. The dude threw FOUR completions for 34 yards last year against K-State and Western Michigan in garbage time. He had no real experience. I know I sound like a broken record, but this was the kids first real game. It was in Blacksburg against a good defense. That is a rough deal. He made some plays, but he played like a guy who needed some experience. Look at USC today... they lost because of their QB... period. So did you. He will get better. I just wish we played you guys early in the season, it could be a different story after he gets a few games under his belt. To think a kid will walk out in his first major situation against a worthy opponent, in a hostile situation, and that he will make great decisions and be on his game, that is expecitng a lot. I think people are being unfair to think he is going ot walk out and play like Ganz in a game like this... If you had Ganz, you win. if you had Zac Lee next year, or maybe even at the end of this year, same story. Until then, be a little patient with the kid and try to realize adjusting to his position is not easy unless you are playing the little sisters of the poor with a good Nebrsaka team around you...

USC came into the Shoe with a true freshman QB and beat Ohio State. Although I understand what you are saying....I think it comes down to the individual, and how he handles pressure in general.

I do not think that there is any one thing we can pin point as to what was wrong with Zac Lee and why he did not play very well. All we can hope is that the coaches and Lee are able to figure it out and get it fixed (whatever the problem was) by the time conference play rolls around.

USC came into the Shoe with a true freshman QB and beat Ohio State. Although I understand what you are saying....I think it comes down to the individual, and how he handles pressure in general.

Glad you brought that up. If USC had an inexperienced QB, they would have killed Ohio State. Barkley was still under 50%, had no TD passes and his big yards game from short passes and then huge runs. He is part of a team, they won the game. He did not come win that game for them. he just didn't lose it. Today they didn't have it, and the other kid was bad. Made lots of dump passes, so his % was decent, but could not through with accuracy downfield. USC is a geat team, those 2 games are nice wins with any sort of QB play instead of a close win and close loss. They held their opponent to under 17 points on both occasion...

He was on the move more this game. He seemed rattled. My guess would be just the circumstances, atmosphere, and being flushed by VT a fair amount. But the bottom line is the coaches kept going back to the throw with him, so they've got confidence in his abilities. We've seen what he's capable of, so now he just needs to work through whatever the issues were and bring it for the rest of the season. Hopefully it's a learning experience.