They are who we thought they were

What did this game show us about the 2009 Huskers? Is it just me or does it seem that a lot of people are let down because of the amount of stock placed on the dominance displayed for the last two weeks against terrible competition?

First off, I was very disappointed as I thought this would have a link to someone impersonating Dennis Green and putting the Husker spin on it. :lol: Has to be one of my favorite head coaching meltdowns next to Gundy's.

Anyway, I did not put a whole lot of stock in Nebraska's first two games. In fact, in my weekly pick'em game I was going back and forth in deciding which one to put on my list, before I ultimately decided to scrap that game and pick the Long Horns instead (thanks for not covering, by the way! :bang ) I did expect a little more from success in the red zone, and I actually thought the defense was better than expected. But the truth is, even that coach before Pelini was able to dominate weaker opponents. I thought for sure we would have pretty good seasons after beating Maine, Nevada, Western Illinois, and Louisiana Tech in season openers.

So to answer your question, no, we should not put a lot of stock in dominating low quality opponents.

dunno about that... but the skers played a good team to the wire on the road.

that's something...

Is that what you like about about the great Husker teams of the past? They "played good teams down to the wire?"

The great Husker teams dominated good teams. They beat the tar out of em. They didn't get turned away at the goal line and settle for a field goal EVERY TIME! They never had to punt on 4th and goal. 4th and 1 with the game at hand? They went for it and got that first down!

Man so many of you forgot what real Husker football is. I blame Solich and Callahan for lowering your expectations.

that's something...

Is that what you like about about the great Husker teams of the past? They "played good teams down to the wire?"

Where does it say anything about the great Husker teams of the past playing good teams down the wire? Let's face it, a few years ago this would have been a 3-4 TD blow out loss. We are taking steps in the right direction. I'm sorry if it's not fast enough for you, but I'm enjoying the more competitive Husker teams regardless of whether they win or lose.

that's something...

Where does it say anything about the great Husker teams of the past playing good teams down the wire? Let's face it, a few years ago this would have been a 3-4 TD blow out loss. We are taking steps in the right direction. I'm sorry if it's not fast enough for you, but I'm enjoying the more competitive Husker teams regardless of whether they win or lose.

Yes they are moving in the right direction and I saw sparks of the old Husker aggressiveness. But, like Coach Pellini, and our players no doubt yesterday's game was nowhere "good enough" for my tastes.

Well until you understand what we have on field you are going to be the one expecting too much.

We played a higher rated team and lost, trust me not something unusal for Coach Osborne.

This loss hurts because we did not get beaten, we beat ourseleves.

If you are expecting games like the 90's you better become a Florida or SC fan for a couple of years.

Not happening here for awhile, if ever.

The kids gave all they had, the ball bounces funny and we were on the wrong end. This loss was not due to a lack of effort. It was due to a young team and coaching staff on the road against a very good defensive team with a strong crowd behind them.

Mistakes that will teach lessons down the road, that will harden this team for conference play.

Not a game to be happy about, but way better than we have seen in recent years.

We need to support our team.

Well until you understand what we have on field you are going to be the one expecting too much.

We played a higher rated team and lost, trust me not something unusal for Coach Osborne.

If you are expecting games like the 90's you better become a Florida or SC fan for a couple of years.

The kids gave all they had, the ball bounces funny and we were on the wrong end. This loss was not due to a lack of effort. It was due to a young team and coaching staff on the road against a very good defensive team with a strong crowd behind them.

Mistakes that will teach lessons down the road, that will harden this team for conference play.

How? Lowering our expectations? Yikes!

Games like the 90's aren't happening here for awhile IF EVER? Man, if I thought that way I WOULD become a fan of another team.

How? Lowering our expectations? Yikes!

Games like the 90's aren't happening here for awhile IF EVER? Man, if I thought that way I WOULD become a fan of another team.

Why would supporting our team mean lowering expectations it just means to applaud the effort and move on.

If all you are concerned about is the win loss record you have missed the whole idea about Nebraska.

Yesterday will form a galvanized team is my guess. Especially if some are reading what some are saying on this board. Nothing is being given to this team. They are busting their butts for us every single day. Playing in a much tougher time than in the 90's.

Some say out coached, some say not enough talent, some say lack of effort. I say that is the way the ball bounces.

There was another team out there yesterday, that was there to win, on their home turf done 32 times now in a row. Pretty good record, one would guess a pretty hard place to play. Things at the end went their way, and it will opne the eyes of the players on this team. They will gain it takes 60 minutes, no less at any time.

I think this game will do this team more good in the loss than it would if we would have won. This game is going to increase intensity by the players. The coaches will have less work convincing them that anything can happpen, play every play like it is your last.

I never want to see the Huskers lose, for any reason, but just maybe this one will do some good.

A tough loss for the team, the staff and us the fans, but you know there is another game next week, nothing can be done about this one. Concentrate on the positive and move forward is what we need to do I think.

Yesterday is gone. And I am not talking about just 9-19-09.

that's something...

The great Husker teams dominated good teams. They beat the tar out of em. They didn't get turned away at the goal line and settle for a field goal EVERY TIME! They never had to punt on 4th and goal. 4th and 1 with the game at hand? They went for it and got that first down!

Man so many of you forgot what real Husker football is. I blame Solich and Callahan for lowering your expectations.

lol. Yea, that's great. Let's compare every team to possibly the best teams ever to play the game. In what way would you come out of those comparisons satisfied? Hardly ever.

that's something...

lol. Yea, that's great. Let's compare every team to possibly the best teams ever to play the game. In what way would you come out of those comparisons satisfied? Hardly ever.

Very good point Dave. Quite frankly, I caught myself doing the same thing yesturday. I was hung up over not going for it on 4th and 1, thinking to myself, the lines of the mid 90's would have done it. That was unfair of me, these kids aren't those teams and we may not see that again. 93-97 was one of the greatest runs in college football ever seen. We focus so much on those few years in Nebraska football and long to relive it. We completely forget Dr. Tom's 20yrs pryor were even his teams got clobberd by better ones. We still loved our Huskers anyway, despite usually getting owned by Barry Switzer and the Sooners or eight straight bowl losses. That being said, I like what I am seeing from Bo and the Huskers. The effort was awsome, and they played their hearts out. Even if we never quite reach the level of the mid 90's (though I think Bo will make us very competative) I will always love this team. Don't forget, the Sooners dropped down to the bottom of college football for quite awhile and came back around.

Excellent post! I could not agree more.

Nicely done