Husker Opponents

SaturnDrew

Just curious, I know it's week 3, but I wanted to share my take, and maybe get some other opinions on the performance of our opponents thus far--whether they have lived up to your expectations, or fallen flat:

ULL -- Only allowed 31 to LSU and defeated Kan't State. It would be nice to see the Big Red in an impressive win, but ULL might be a bit better than what I expected.

Missouri -- A bit of a question mark. Looked very good against Illinois. Not so much against Bowling Green. Nevertheless, I thought it would be an off year for Missouri, and unfortunately, the "off" probably won't be by much. I say slightly better than expected.

Texas Tech--Again, I thought this would be an off year for the Red Raiders because of their significant losses on offense. They swallowed their first two cupcakes whole, and put on a better than expected performance against Texas. This one is looking to be quite a bit more difficult than I expected.

Iowa State-- Solid wins against ND State and Kent State. I'll hand it to Cy's team: They don't look absolutely horrible. Therefore, better than expected. :)

Baylor--I didn't buy into the Baylor hype, and I'm rather glad I didn't after their loss to UConn. The Wake Forest win? Sorry, even a previous Nebraska coach can beat Wake Forest. About what I expect---probably worse than what other people expected.

Oklahoma--Stunning loss to BYU, who in turn got blown out by Florida State. Without Bradford, much worse than expected. With Bradford, moderately worse than expected.

Kansas--Still don't know much about this team thanks to their weak schedule thus far. Solid wins against their opponents though puts them at about where I expected them.

Kansas State--I said they would finish 12th in the conference this year. I will be surprised if they finish that high. Somehow, worse than I expected (and that says a lot!).

Colorado -- Two losses against non-BCS schools to start the season. Ouch! Good thing they beat Wyoming. Worse than expected, but will still rise up against Nebraska like they always do.

So overall, I see the season as our more difficult opponents (Missouri, T-Tech, and Kansas) may have closed the gap on our strongest opponent--Oklahoma, and thus we have 4 games that are up for grabs and appear to be pretty darn even on paper.

I was one of those people singing the praises of both CU and BU. That may have been a bit premature, then again, the season is still young.

Overall, the whole Big 12 is not as good as I thought it would be, SO FAR anyway. The only two decent matchups from the Big 12 non-conference (where both teams were ranked) were BYU/OU and NU/VT -- both very low scoring 1 point losses for the Big 12.

OU MUST take care of business at Miami.

I was one of those people singing the praises of both CU and BU. That may have been a bit premature, then again, the season is still young.

Overall, the whole Big 12 is not as good as I thought it would be, SO FAR anyway. The only two decent matchups from the Big 12 non-conference (where both teams were ranked) were BYU/OU and NU/VT -- both very low scoring 1 point losses for the Big 12.

OU MUST take care of business at Miami.

Bradford has started throwing, he may be back for the Miami game.

The season is still really early, but a lot of the top teams are underperforming. USC loses to Washington. BYU which was way overrated gets blown out by unranked Florida State. Florida against Tennessee was way closer than most expected. OU loses to BYU which is insane considering they should have just been able to run the ball and win. Wyoming played Texas really tough in the 1st half. This very well could be another year of 1 and 2 loss teams playing for a NC. Or, is this the year a BCS buster like Boise State gets a chance?

The season is still really early, but a lot of the top teams are underperforming. USC loses to Washington. BYU which was way overrated gets blown out by unranked Florida State. Florida against Tennessee was way closer than most expected. OU loses to BYU which is insane considering they should have just been able to run the ball and win. Wyoming played Texas really tough in the 1st half. This very well could be another year of 1 and 2 loss teams playing for a NC. Or, is this the year a BCS buster like Boise State gets a chance?

Nowadays its so hard for a team to look perfect in every game they play. Even the 1995 Huskers had a close game against a mediocre Washington State team (2TD's--kinda close I guess). A couple of BCS Busters I would love to see mess everything up include Boise State, Houston, and TCU. The more chaos we see, the more likely we are to someday have a playoff. (Oops! I think that one of the many taboo words on this board!)

Nowadays though, the top teams are losing. This year alone there's been several top 10 teams lose. USC lost. Ohio State lost but it was to a top 10 team. OU lost. BYU lost. Okie State lost. VT lost but to another top 10 team. This has all happened in just 3 weeks. I'm with you with regards to a playoff, but I don't really want that can of worms opened this early in the season.

Baylor lost to a decent UCONN team. Not a good one. Decent. As a fan did the loss make me doubt the hype? Yes. After a couple of days and rewatching the game again, do I have more optimism? Yes. Bad coaching and turnovers lost the game. If I can see any positives about this Baylor loss, it's that we had 4 turnovers, forced zero turnovers, and still only lost by a touchdown. Baylor can still get to 6-6 or 7-5 if they play like they did in week one.

Nebraska: Y'all are better than I originally thought, and I'll eat a little crow. Good job hanging with a good Vtech team last week. Why didn't Pelini challenge the TD catch that was called back? That WAS a catch...the turf forced the ball out, and I thought the announcers were stupid not to make a bigger deal out of this. If he makes that catch....Huskers win.

I still don't buy the Zac Lee is better than Ganz hype though...but he'll get there. I see the Huskers winning 9 or so again this year with a shot at the North. Still improved from last year, and Pelini is still the best coach out of last years new hires. (Pelini, Briles.........Sherman)

JMO---

ULL -- barely a speed bump.

Missouri -- Gabbert looks good... better than expected. tough game.

Texas Tech-- another QB reload- better than expected maybe 3rd in B12.

Iowa State-- barely a speed bump.

Baylor-- barely a speed bump. MUCH worse than expected.

Oklahoma-- without Bradford- worse than expected but still 2nd in big12.

Kansas-- Solid- as expected

Kansas State-- barely a speed bump

Colorado -- worse than expected, and will not rise up against Nebraska like they usually do.

Texas Tech's offensive line looked awful against Texas. Our front four is gonna leave several Taylor Potts-shaped holes in the field.

:rollin:rollin:rollin

lots of teams look awful against texas...

IMO-- TT will challenge the nu secondary in ways that make vatech look like a girlscout team.

the good news- we'll find out.

just be glad texas isn't on the schedule.

JMO---

Colorado -- worse than expected, and will not rise up against Nebraska like they usually do.

I would think that with Texas, Oklahoma, and Oklahoma State in the south and Kansas and Nebraska in the North that would put them 6th. Missouri may be better as well.

Remember TTU always plays UT close. Don't judge them on that game.

JMO---

I would think that with Texas, Oklahoma, and Oklahoma State in the south and Kansas and Nebraska in the North that would put them 6th. Missouri may be better as well.

Remember TTU always plays UT close. Don't judge them on that game.

It's just my opinion. We'll know reality when the games are played.

But you are right... the mainstream rating services would disagree with me.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/football/usatpoll.htm

of course they disagree with each other as well.

http://content.usatoday.com/sportsdata/foo...f/stats/AP-Poll

well... I'm closer to jiving with this one:

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/football/harris.htm

OU, TX, TT, OKST with MU far behind.

here's one of my favorites:

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/sagarin/fbt09.htm

there are others, this one shows a BUNCH of polls (51) and mathmatically combines them:

http://www.mratings.com/cf/compare.htm

pick your favorite poll... or use your own judgement.

It's all good.