The NEW MU v. NU Thread

Doc, it's not just about comparing wins. Kudos for trying to steer the conversation into less murky waters for MU, but you can't simply remove the VT game from existence.

The NU/VT game is the elephant in the room. It is the single most important game on either team's (MU or NU) non-con schedule. That game taught the Huskers more than a season's worth of Sunbelt opponents would.

There will be no intimidation factor in CoMo this year. We've already played a better team in their house with louder fans.

Missouri cannot duplicate the speed of VT on defense.

Missouri cannot duplicate the environment at Blacksburg.

Missouri cannot duplicate Beamer Ball.

These factors do not bode well for the Tigers.

I agree VT was worth more than a season's worth of Sunbelt opponents. I don't think it was worth our schedule. "Learning" that your QB folds like a cheap lawn chair against a good defense doesn't help you. Okay, low blow. He may be capable of more, and he may get better from the experience. But he also may have been exposed is my point. Learning that you can shut down a one dimensional offense that plays into your strengths tells you almost nothing about how you'll fare against the powerful offenses of the Big 12. And learning that your special teams are not as good as VT doesn't mean you'll be better than Mizzou. We don't need to intimidate you to beat you, because IMHO we're just plain better.

And if you don't think we're as fast as VT on defense. Sigh. Listen, I know VT has a great defense. Mizzou aspires to be so good. But if you think there are a lot of teams in the country FASTER than we are on defense, then you haven't been watching. Mizzou may lack many things, but speed is not one of them. You sure as heck better not think you're going to run past us or around us this year. Helu is not going to beat Sean Weatherspoon or any of our other LBs to the corner. And you're not easily going to get behind our secondary.

If you take away NOTHING ELSE from this conversation, remember this one thing: If you beat us, it won't be because you were bigger or faster. It will be the old fashioned way, with better blocks and consistent execution.

If you take away NOTHING ELSE from this conversation, remember this one thing: If you beat us, it won't be because you were bigger or faster. It will be the old fashioned way, with better blocks and consistent execution.

Your arguments are getting ridiculous. Please. Enlighten us. How are you bigger and faster than Nebraska? (and yet another built in Mizzou excuse: "We have better players than they do . . . they just put it together better for one game.")

I guess you guys didn't notice I said on the plays I saw, Lee is who we thought he was and didn't come close to completing a downfield pass, nor did the wr's get any seperation or make a play simple. in LA game it was a quarter or so before asante injury and a few after that. parts of the vt game. watched a lot of several teams to get a feel for them. one that stands out for execution and downright fun to watch is Houston. JMO.

as for who is younger, blah, blah blah on both sides. heck they both play a lot of young guys ok. let it go, geesh, pt established. After the preseason schedule no one has stood out. huskers played best team of 3 but lost it in puzzling fashion. KU has the weakest D but best established O. One thing stands out about all 3, and I know this will set you off but here goes, all 3 Olines are average at best, with KU's not very good at all. I know both you and MU thought we would have much better line play but hasn't happened as of yet, there is a lot of youth there so that could improve going into conference play, or it could be worse playing better athletes.

SOS, ok they both played a lot of average teams, degree of which doesn't mattr and NU executed better but then one wonders if playing from behind and having your qb have incredible 3rd and 4th quarters is relevant as opposed to having it easy? you decide.

as for better athletes and who can do what and when, you say tomatoe we say potato will know nxt thursday.

there is another interesting pt, NU has had much acclaim, mostly about it's D, while MU has hd little and reduced expectations. What happens IF NU loses a close game or worse gets hammered? There is the potential with the rough road and south scedule coming right ahead of them to really have a rough go. MU? if they lose a close one, will attribute it to young qb, bounce back and do what most observers thought they would do. So who has the most pressure?

Pretty sure at the end of the season they won't be called cupcake. Illinois should single handedly give our schedule credibility beyond cupcake status. That's my argument in a nutshell. Doesn't seem like we're making progress here.

Illinois proved their inadequacies when they played Ohio State. As of right now, they are a bottom feeder in the Big 10, which isn't saying a lot because even the best teams in the Big 10 aren't that good compared to the best teams in other conferences.

Regardless, if Illinois will single-handedly give credence to your non-con, then why are so many downplaying VaTech, when we can all clearly agree that VaTech is a much better team than Illinois. Unless Illinois finishes with 9 wins and surprises a good team (which is what VaTech will do at the least), than I will give very little credit to MU for taking them out.

And on us not winning because we won't be bigger and faster, I must ask again where in the hell are you getting this gem from? Do you have any facts to support your claim or are you just speculating, because after watching 3 of 4 MU games and all of the NU games, it is clearly obvious that NU is bigger and faster on the lines of scrimmage. Have you seen how often the pocket breaks down and Gabbert has to roll out to avoid a hit?

Pretty sure at the end of the season they won't be called cupcake. Illinois should single handedly give our schedule credibility beyond cupcake status. That's my argument in a nutshell. Doesn't seem like we're making progress here.

Illinois proved their inadequacies when they played Ohio State. As of right now, they are a bottom feeder in the Big 10, which isn't saying a lot because even the best teams in the Big 10 aren't that good compared the best teams in other conferences.

Regardless, if Illinois will single-handedly give credence to your non-con, then why are so many downplaying VaTech, when we can all clearly agree that VaTech is a much better team than Illinois. Unless Illinois finishes with 9 wins and surprises a good team (which is what VaTech will do at the least), than I will give very little credit to MU for taking them out.

And on us not winning because we won't be bigger and faster, I must ask again where in the hell are you getting this gem from? Do you have any facts to support your claim or are you just speculating, because after watching 3 of 4 MU games and all of the NU games, it is clearly obvious that NU is bigger and faster on the lines of scrimmage. Have you seen how often the pocket breaks down and Gabbert has to roll out to avoid a hit?

It has to be said... It doesn't matter who in the hell we've played up to this point. Really, it doesn't. It will not affect the outcome of this game. The experience gained is minimal. Once the first snap happens, all of that garbage goes out the window.

:yeah Like I've said before.... Bob's a smart guy. The game will be played on the field.

So by all means, let's keep arguing about our strengths of schedule and size and speed and all that because if we argue enough, it will change the outcome of the game. :nutz:sarcasm

It has to be said... It doesn't matter who in the hell we've played up to this point. Really, it doesn't. It will not affect the outcome of this game. The experience gained is minimal. Once the first snap happens, all of that garbage goes out the window.

I have to agree with Bob here. Any team can get beat any week by almost anybody. I personally think it comes down to coaching and who is better prepared for the game. I still say we win, but I will say that every game we play haha. Can't wait for this game to get here though...should be a good one to watch.

Forget the stats... look at it this way:

Nebraska played three crappy teams, and completely dominated all three of them. There was not a single game that hadn't been completely, 100% decided by halftime.

Mizzou on the other hand, played three crappy teams, and only put one away soundly (Illinois). They trailed Bowling Green for most of the game, and didn't take their first lead until the last half of the FOURTH QUARTER. And Nevada actually led them at one point in the third quarter, and was three yards away from potentially tying the game in the fourth (until a fumble). So which is more impressive? Devouring your cupcakes like you're supposed to, or nearly choking on them?

Throw in the fact that Nebraska has already experienced a hostile crowd and a top 10 team this season (and Mizzou hasn't) and you have to think Nebraska has the slight edge.

False dichotomy.

:facepalm:

There is no dichotomy here.

I'm guessing the two first year QB's would probably disagree on that. I will say that they may not have much to do with how the players play, but to think the coaches arn't looking at those games would cause me to beleive your a big soccer fan.

its a rare day when I somewhat agree with mizzery fans... but this post nearly hits it on the head.

So by all means, let's keep arguing about our strengths of schedule and size and speed and all that because if we argue enough, it will change the outcome of the game.

We could all just sit on our hands and stay quiet for the next week. What else are we going to do?

lets get our cardboard signs ready to hang on the interstate overpasses so the mizzery fans at the game will be reminded all the way home that they are a bunch of lahooozherrs!!!

The only thing I'm wondering about is how Zac or Gabbert will handle any adversity during a game.

I only saw the last half of the V tech game and what I saw from Zac was not inspiring and thought if Missou could score then Nebraska could be in trouble.

Then after watching Missou play Nevada I was encouraged by the lack of running game and stopping the run up the middle. Gabbert on any QB keeper or scramble looked very uncomfortable running. How will he react if in his really first Big 12 game he throws his first int in a game. <_<

Both team will answer a lot of question next thursday and all I'm hoping for is a blow out for Nebraska. chuckleshuffle