one guys opinion after watching MU twice

Husker66

After careful study of MU I have come to the following conclusions:

The passing game depends on the MU receivers, not Gabbert. Gabbert consistently over/underthrows his recievers and they end up making him look good. Slap them down on the line instead of giving them such a big cushion, throw off their routes and things will start looking grim.

The running game is very pedestrian and didn't show well against even defense-deficient Nevada. The O-line pass blocks well but is slow off the ball and doesn't open the holes needed for a consistent running attack. String out the outside running plays and MU will opt to go to the air real quick.

That being said, defenses must play lock down coverage against the receivers because, no matter how much pressure you put on Gabbert, he has the arm strength to still wing the ball down field in the general vicinity of his receivers and they do have the ability to turn in some great circus catches. Special attention to the tight end who seems to be a favorite target and is good.

Defensively, Nevada seemed to be able to run the ball up the gut of MU at will for 3-5 yard gains almost all night. It appears the best way to take on the MU defense is by keeping it between the tackles and grinding out the yards. Nevada started the game blowing MU off the line for the entire first half.

Weatherspoon seemed to be nullified during the Nevada game...especially during the first half. He's good but at his best when the opponent is behind and has to throw. When he's forced to read and contain he doesn't look to be nearly the force he's hyped up to be. Hard to get the ball outside of him so...keep it all inside of him.

If Nebraska plays smash mouth, up the gut offensive football AND the defensive backfield can manage to keep MU's receivers from controlling the field, NU can win this one.

I kept wondering during the Nevada game why Nevada didn't try to jam their receivers at the line? They continually give them an 8 to 10 yard cushion each and every time. It looked to me like if they jammed them at the line they would have disrupted the timing. Mizzou's offense is all about timing.

billyball good analysis of the tigers, while some of the rest of you are so far off to be laughable? someone even said Chase was a scrambler and blaine a pocket passer, totally wrong, chase didn't throw well on the run and gabbart has made some spectacular throws while running for his life plus he can take off and is very fast and huge.

Actually, I said Daniel was more mobile. I did not say he was a scrambler. Gabbert IS a pocket passer, they are trying to fit him into the gap system. That usually calls for a mobile QB. Daniel had the knowledge of the system to know when to take off and run, Gabbert doesn't seem to quite get it yet, he waits to find an open receiver. That's why he seems to have happy feet a lot of the time.

Gabbert is no doubt the better pure passing QB of the two. Gabbert is very, very gifted. He made two throws against Nevada, on the run that very few if any other college QB could have made. However, it takes more than a strong arm. He has to know when to move, when to tuck it and run and when to let the pocket collapse and step up into it. Gabbert does not show that talent all the time, where it was Daniels' M.O.

For the record, I am a MIzzou fan, alumni and played there under Coaches Powers and Wiedenhofer. Just calling it like I see it. There are enough strong points and weak points on both teams to make it a good game.

flynlow----welcome to the board and thank you for the honest breakdown. if either team doesnt correct the weak points and the other team does, this game could get ugly very quickly.

i have faith in BO and company to not make the same mistakes they make in scheming for last years game in Lincoln, and the Defense will be just as motivated as the one that played in Blacksburg. If Zac learned from his game at VT and doesnt press things that are not there Huskers win

i cant wait to watch this game, even though i have to get up at 4 am to watch it

Bo and Co. can talk all they want about the scheme they ran last year. The bottom line in 2008 was that Missouri was just flat-out better than we were at that point in the season. If we had played them in late November instead of Colorado the outcome would have been different (I do believe), but five games into the Bo Pelini Era, I don't think it would have mattered what scheme we ran.

Actually, I said Daniel was more mobile. I did not say he was a scrambler. Gabbert IS a pocket passer, they are trying to fit him into the gap system. That usually calls for a mobile QB. Daniel had the knowledge of the system to know when to take off and run, Gabbert doesn't seem to quite get it yet, he waits to find an open receiver. That's why he seems to have happy feet a lot of the time.

Gabbert is no doubt the better pure passing QB of the two. Gabbert is very, very gifted. He made two throws against Nevada, on the run that very few if any other college QB could have made. However, it takes more than a strong arm. He has to know when to move, when to tuck it and run and when to let the pocket collapse and step up into it. Gabbert does not show that talent all the time, where it was Daniels' M.O.

For the record, I am a MIzzou fan, alumni and played there under Coaches Powers and Wiedenhofer. Just calling it like I see it. There are enough strong points and weak points on both teams to make it a good game.

I watched those two passes several times. Not only were they terrible decisions (throwing deep down field passes while off balance and running laterally) but a halfway competent defense would have intercepted the one that he threw short.

Were I a Mizzou fan, those passes would concern me more than encourage me. Yeah, they showed Gabbert has a huge arm . . . they also showed he makes poor decisions under pressure. You'd better believe he will be facing more pressure on October 8th than he has so far. Hopefully for your offense his decision making ability has progressed.

I watched those two passes several times. Not only were they terrible decisions (throwing deep down field passes while off balance and running laterally) but a halfway competent defense would have intercepted the one that he threw short.

Were I a Mizzou fan, those passes would concern me more than encourage me. Yeah, they showed Gabbert has a huge arm . . . they also showed he makes poor decisions under pressure. You'd better believe he will be facing more pressure on October 8th than he has so far. Hopefully for your offense his decision making ability has progressed.

If you were a Mizzou fan you'd be all a-twitter about your great QB and you wouldn't even dream that those were very poorly defended plays. All the chatter I'm hearing is that Gabbert had a great pass he made on that 74-yarder to Danario Alexander, when a competent defense would have defensed that pass or picked it off. It was a floater that he launched off his back foot. There were enough defensive breakdowns on that play to write a book about, but that's not what Missouri Fan focuses on. Instead, it's how great Gabbert is. Listen, I'm all about the Kool-Aid, but that's crazy talk.

If you were a Mizzou fan you'd be all a-twitter about your great QB and you wouldn't even dream that those were very poorly defended plays. All the chatter I'm hearing is that Gabbert had a great pass he made on that 74-yarder to Danario Alexander, when a competent defense would have defensed that pass or picked it off. It was a floater that he launched off his back foot. There were enough defensive breakdowns on that play to write a book about, but that's not what Missouri Fan focuses on. Instead, it's how great Gabbert is. Listen, I'm all about the Kool-Aid, but that's crazy talk.

Wait a second . . . your tone sounds like you disagree with me but the substance of your post repeats what I just said. I guess I'm not following.

I was trying to say that those passes were neither good decisions nor particularly well thrown. You agree?

Yeah, Missou fans are real high on Gabbert. Don't get me wrong, he looks great throwing the ball, but when someone on this board stated that Gabbert is FASTER than Daniel, I just have to laugh.

I watched Gabbert run an option against Nevada and I thought I missed the original play and was watching the slow motion replay of it. The dude is SLOOOOOOOOW. And when under pressure, he makes some questionable decisions.

He's good, but I want to see him against Nebraska's D. I think our D is really starting to come along and I really have liked what I have seen the last two weeks. Very physical, very reactive, and the tackling has looked good (for the most part).

I wasn't talking about the decision to throw. They were excellent passes considering the fact he was running laterally. What the defense was, or was not doing at the time is irrelevant, they were both completions. The long pass I think he was trying to get rid of, the receiver had to lay out for it.

I am no way saying Gabbert is the greatest of all time, nor am I in a "twitter" about how good he is. I see him as he is. A young guy with a lot of natural ability and a lot of gifts that has to grow into his position. He is hot and cold. Sometimes he looks great, sometimes he looks lost and cant hit an open man. That just tells me he's got a lot of work ahead of him. He is good, he's a long way from great at this point. I personally don't see his speed. It has been reported that he outran Jacory Harris in a head to head 40 in a summer camp. He may be fast but I don't see him as quick. I was disappointed in two of his runs at Nevada, where he has flattened by a dback that Gabbert had to have 40 pounds on. In the system they are running, I think Daniel was a better fit. As I said, Daniel knew how to move in that pocket to find his passing lane, when to tuck and run without the hesitation Gabbert shows and was more mobile in general.

I expect a good game. Nebraska will come in well prepared and ready to play aggressive on both sides of the ball. I expect MU to be prepared and up for the game. It isn't a 'gimmie' for either team.

Wait a second . . . your tone sounds like you disagree with me but the substance of your post repeats what I just said. I guess I'm not following.

I was trying to say that those passes were neither good decisions nor particularly well thrown. You agree?

I was being silly. I agree with you entirely. The fact of the matter is, Gabbert got lucky on two big completions (one for a first down to his RB, the other to Danario Alexander for that long TD), both of which were floaters thrown off his back foot, both of which should have been defensed.

I will double-dog guarantee you that if Gabbert throws passes like that against us, one of two things will happen - it will get picked off or it will get his receiver drilled. That's if he has time to throw, of course. Watching MO's O Line work, I get the impression Suh and Turner will be after Gabbert all game long.