Some of the older fans...

jjamuss

are actually a lot of fun to talk to during the games. you can see how coming to games for 40 and 50 years has weathered them to be the epitome of the "class" fans that nebraska is known for.

I just wanted to give some props to the people that sit around me, namely a guy named Don and his wife Susie who sit right across the aisle from me. I have thoroughly enjoyed learning from them all about the stadium, the traditions come and gone, coaches, players, etc... really a lot of things that a person doesnt hear about in the mainstream.

I know 'blue hairs' are out there, but I would encourage everyone going to a game to make it a point to just say hello, or something positive to an older fan... I think you will be surprised at the outcome; I was!

GO BIG RED!!

jj~

They're the people who started the sellout streak and built our reputation.

Yes, it would be nice to have more noise and craziness, but I sometime worry that our tradition of good behavior and class will be lost when the older folks quit attending games.

This is a good thing to worry about. We should take pride in our reputation, and work hard at maintaining it, not for bragging rights, but because it's the right thing to do.

Yes, it would be nice to have more noise and craziness, but I sometime worry that our tradition of good behavior and class will be lost when the older folks quit attending games.

I think your point underlines my thoughts in that talking to some of the older folks will perhaps enlighten others to carry the traditions that have made our fanbase the most respected around the nation, perhaps even the world! Some of the older folks have oceans of wisdom and knowlege but are sometimes reluctant to share because of the gaping differences in ages... I think making the first move by just saying hello could help others learn/appreciate what I have come to know these past 10 years. Plus, you NEVER know who you are going to meet.

:restore

You will find that we(Blue/Bald hairs are just like you. We have a love for the Huskers. Have for many years, just because the knees the legs or the lungs don't work as well as they once did does not mean that our hearts pump less Husker Red.

We all face the day that things are not what they were. It is a tough day to say I can no longer go to the games. I have yet to face it, my dad. It hurt to leave him home and go and the look in his eyes hurt way worse. That day will come my young friends, a lot sooner than you think.

I am not your normal 60+ blue hair. I race mountain bikes, kayak, play volley ball, softball, compete in the worlld senior games, play Call of Duty, Modern warfare on line. It comes from being from Nebraska and the Marine Corps. Live every second like it is your last. Doing everything you can to enjoy life.

I will attend games until the day comes that I can not. And I always set near the students, I love their loyalty, their dedication to the team.

Some of us are just like you trapped in this old, worn out body, but our love for the Huskers never goes away.

Talk to us like the poster says, you will find were not that different than you.

You will find that we(Blue/Bald hairs are just like you. We have a love for the Huskers. Have for many years, just because the knees the legs or the lungs don't work as well as they once did does not mean that our hearts pump less Husker Red.

We all face the day that things are not what they were. It is a tough day to say I can no longer go to the games. I have yet to face it, my dad. It hurt to leave him home and go and the look in his eyes hurt way worse. That day will come my young friends, a lot sooner than you think.

I am not your normal 60+ blue hair. I race mountain bikes, kayak, play volley ball, softball, compete in the worlld senior games, play Call of Duty, Modern warfare on line. It comes from being from Nebraska and the Marine Corps. Live every second like it is your last. Doing everything you can to enjoy life.

I will attend games until the day comes that I can not. And I always set near the students, I love their loyalty, their dedication to the team.

Some of us are just like you trapped in this old, worn out body, but our love for the Huskers never goes away.

Talk to us like the poster says, you will find were not that different than you.

:yeah EXACTLY!!

This is a good thing to worry about. We should take pride in our reputation, and work hard at maintaining it, not for bragging rights, but because it's the right thing to do.

I knew I could count on our buddy knapplc to put this thread in proper perspective... thanks fella.

skers, you should dye your hair blue for a game, then spend half your time yelling at the students to stand up. That'd show 'em. :)

Sorry knapplc, I wish I could, I would have to paint my bald head blue, then would be accused a being a blueman imposter.

I live in SoCal so only get back for one or two games a year. This year we decided not to.

I am hoping for a good bowl game this year, we will where ever it is.

I think we will end up in a good on this year.

I'm glad you had a good time talking with them! I hope everyone who complains about not everyone standing the whole game reads this...

Another thought.. do you think the number of actual season ticket holders in attendance was close to an all-time high being the 300th sellout? And as someone mentioned awhile ago (about having a separate 'older' section), maybe the next time we expand the new box seats go to some longtime season ticket holders? (more elevators, less stairs, AC/heat, etc)

I've never had a problem with any of the "older" people when I've sat in east stadium with my old neighbors.. in fact it was quite enjoyable. The only problems I ever had was sitting in the student section my freshman year and being yelled at to sit down... and i think that is where all the negative connotation comes from... but other than that there really is no problems

Really good post! Thank you!

What a great post! My Mom & I have our "Annual Mother-Daughter Football Weekend" every year. Mom turned 78 in February, has had both knees replaced, rotator cuff surgery, but you should see her go up those ramps on game day! She tells of the days of getting the "knot hole tickets" that cost 10 cents. She will stand and yell, do "the wave", and yell until she can't talk! She might even take a sip of an adult beverage if we stop at a Huskerboard tailgate! Every year I wonder if it'll be the last game that she'll be able to go to, but she hangs in there! I got tickets for the Iowa St game, so this will be our 8th annual game! Thanks for reminding us all about our older generation! Go Big Red!