Nebraska #6 in the FoxSports power rankings

mattbri17

It's been said about two dozen times already but it bears repeating once again - until we beat someone, it's all just speculation. This ranking is flattering but not based on reality.

Yea, i looked at when the season kicked off and we werent even ranked in their little poll.

What does reality have to do with anything? Not to mention that reality is relative. In my reality, the Huskers are, always have been, and always will be the #1 football team in the college football.

What does reality have to do with a ranking system? Everything, if you want it to be credible. If you don't care about credibility then by all means put the Huskers at #1 and leave them there forever.

Knapp, you know I have your back, but let's play devil's advocate.

If reality had anything to do with polls, why is ND perennially ranked higher than they deserve?

Don't get me wrong, I fully agree NU needs to put the question out of doubt before it deserves to be ranked higher. But using the same logic, ND needs to sit in the sewer until it proves it can run with the big dogs.

What does reality have to do with anything? Not to mention that reality is relative. In my reality, the Huskers are, always have been, and always will be the #1 football team in the college football.

What does reality have to do with a ranking system? Everything, if you want it to be credible. If you don't care about credibility then by all means put the Huskers at #1 and leave them there forever.

Knapp, you know I have your back, but let's play devil's advocate.

If reality had anything to do with polls, why is ND perennially ranked higher than they deserve?

Don't get me wrong, I fully agree NU needs to put the question out of doubt before it deserves to be ranked higher. But using the same logic, ND needs to sit in the sewer until it proves it can run with the big dogs.

You're exactly right, and that challenges the credibility of most any poll out there. Mississippi was the #6 team in the land, but they got manhandled by an unranked South Carolina team. The polls are a crock, but because they are a crock does not mean that Nebraska should be ranked in the top ten now.

Correct me if im wrong but rankings are EVERYTHING. If you think wrong your silly. Let me explain. Rankings give us the ups and downs of football teams. If were not ranked in the top 5, how can we get intoa good bowl game. I mean sugar and gator bowls are nice, but dont we want the BCS bowls. And sadly those rely on rankings. We cant get into the championship games with a 23 ranking.

Correct me if im wrong but rankings are EVERYTHING. If you think wrong your silly. Let me explain. Rankings give us the ups and downs of football teams. If were not ranked in the top 5, how can we get intoa good bowl game. I mean sugar and gator bowls are nice, but dont we want the BCS bowls. And sadly those rely on rankings. We cant get into the championship games with a 23 ranking.

Just because they are everything (I agree with you) doesn't mean they aren't flawed.

Just because they are everything (I agree with you) doesn't mean they aren't flawed.

:yeah

doesnt matter if they are flawed. even the final BCS poll is flawed every season. however, that is how you make a good bowl game no matter how you slice it! i personally would rather start the season ranked number 1 than number 119! polls are opinions and some of you freak out because these guys are showing us too much respect!

their bad, they must be wrong because you say they are wrong!

Let me ask this: Don't those other teams have to prove something--or is it just Nebraska? I've seen an awful lot of teams this year that have proven absolutely nothing. Let's face it: The polls are heavily weighted towards recent tradition. Teams get stuck way up in the Top 10 based upon how they typically do or (in the case of ND) how the talking heads WANT them to do. It doesn't mean that they belong there. Take USC for example. They flat out suck this year, but they were given a high ranking because they're USC. Then a nobody comes in (Washington) and beats a grossly-overranked USC squad and they call it a huge program-defining win. pfft.... Now USC is going to play Cal (another team that was exposed as being terribly overranked). The talking heads have already got it as the premiere matchup that will vault USC back into the top 10. It is really all just a bunch of BS right now.......I've never seen such homerism in the polls as this year, to tell you the truth (see Miami and the talking heads insistence on talking them back in the Top 10 after the VT loss). Just don't pay attention to it and win the rest of the games. They can't deny NU then.

doesnt matter if they are flawed. even the final BCS poll is flawed every season. however, that is how you make a good bowl game no matter how you slice it! i personally would rather start the season ranked number 1 than number 119! polls are opinions and some of you freak out because these guys are showing us too much respect!

their bad, they must be wrong because you say they are wrong!

Hold on there, Cowboy! I'm ranting more against the polls in general, not the Huskers. The whole thing is a crapshoot, Nebraska's ranking included.

http://msn.foxsports.com/cfb/powerRankings

Why the ranking is too high: If you don't believe in Virginia Tech, then you don't give that much credit to a tough loss in Blacksburg. Basically, the Huskers lost to the one great team they played, and it won the Sun Belt title beating Florida Atlantic, Arkansas State, and Louisiana.

Why the ranking is too low: Zac Lee is back. After a rough game against the Hokies, the Husker quarterback was back in last week's easy win. The defense is playing up to Bo Pelini standards allowing 28 points in four games.

point of order, fox sports: those just aren't pelini's standards, those are Nebraska's standards.

carry on!