ESPN

hskerprid

Maybe he's moving to a bigger house in Lincoln?

I dont even know where Pelini lives...

For all i know he could be living in Waverly, Malcolm, Davey, Pleasant Dale, Eagle, or Roca.

South Lincoln

"There was a time not too long ago, in an era that seems so different now, when Pelini was considered the outsider. At Nebraska, pre-2002, assistants rarely left. They bought houses, weathered 9-3 seasons, and stayed for a couple of decades until their knees or voices gave out. But in 2002, near the end of a 7-7 season, coach Frank Solich fired nearly half of his staff in the biggest coaching purge since the early 1960s. Reporters camped out in below-freezing temperatures just to catch candidates shuffling by in SUVs … assistant coaching candidates.

When Solich hired Pelini as his defensive coordinator in 2002, it smacked against Nebraska tradition. Pelini was an NFL assistant, with no ties to the state or the program. He was uber-confident, a trait that almost seemed anti-Nebraska. His first meeting with the defense was so legendary it was detailed in a widely circulated e-mail. With a steely glare and get-tough speech, Pelini, supposedly, put the fear of God into a handful of players.

"That meeting," he says, "probably got overblown a bit."

But it only boosted his popularity among Nebraskans. They didn't know that on a Friday night in 2003, hours before the season opener, Pelini sat in his office, running his hands through his closely cropped hair, fretting over whether his defense was ready.

"I have no idea what's going to happen tomorrow," he told his brother Carl. "I don't know if we're going to come out and tear it up … or if we're going to lay an egg."

Solich eventually walked in and said he'd be fine. The next day, the Huskers forced five turnovers in a 17-7 win against No. 24 Oklahoma State.

[+] EnlargeAP Photo/Amy Conn-Gutierrez

The last time Pelini wore Husker red, he was the interim head coach for the Alamo Bowl game in 2003. Some Nebraska faithful wanted him to get the job, but the school hired Bill Callahan instead."Everybody talks about how confident Bo was and how he came in as a gunslinger," says Carl, who's now Nebraska's defensive coordinator. "At the same time, I know how passionate and driven he is and how much he wants to succeed. I just remember that look on his face. The uncertainty that night was probably eating away at him."

Pelini became a cult hero, part Bob Devaney, part John Rambo. He cussed out former Kansas State coach Bill Snyder for running up the score, chest-bumped his own players and took Nebraska's defense from laughingstock to a Top 10 ranking. He did it all in 12 months.

When Solich was abruptly fired, it was Pelini who finished off a 10-3 season as the interim head coach, beating Michigan State in the Alamo Bowl. As the stadium rocked that night to chants of "We want Bo," it seemed as if Pelini was on the verge of his first head coaching job. But athletic director Steve Pederson hired Callahan, a bigger-name pro coach.

Pelini was miffed and said Pederson never really gave him a shot. Years passed, but Nebraskans never forgot. When their beloved team was stumbling through a five-game losing skid last fall, the locals hung signs in drugstores and posted on message boards hoping for Pelini's return.

"He never harbored any grudge against the people of Nebraska," Carl Pelini says. "He had a great experience here. They really made him feel welcome and feel good about the entire state. I think he always looked back at Nebraska with fond memories." "

you never know, there are husker fans that take things too far, as we saw with our former coaches... <_<

I don't live in NE, but if I did I would have put a for sale sign up in Cali's yard myself, but the thought of Husker fans doing that to Bo is ridiculous!

Not a banner Nebraska moment for whatever fans did this.

OK. This has been covered ad nauseum, but apparently we have to cover this one more time. What was done to Cosgrove (the death threat) and his kids (the chant at the game) was utter BS. 99.99% of Husker fans will agree with this. Why this has been dragged up again is beyond me.

Anyone who needs a refresher on how Husker fans behave, go read the blog by the Rajun Cajun guy who came last weekend.

Expecting a fan base to be completely devoid of idiots is crazy. You cannot stop stupid. All you can do is hope to contain it. I think we do a better job of it than most.

:bang I can't believe this is still being talked about!

Oh by the way, did you know back in 1995 Tom Obsorne let this guy named Lawrence Phillips.........

Point taken. I'll try to only post feel-good TO stories from 25 years ago so we can all pat ourselves on the back for our awesomeness. LOL.

:facepalm:

I see we're doing quite well in our drama classes these days.

Why, thank you! You should note that this is sarcasm and not drama though. You're generally a shrewd poster (one of my favorites on the board), I'm surprised you didn't catch that.