Mizzou position breakdown

DocNice

That's an incomplete analysis at best. First, I specifically referenced, Furman, and those stats directly support my assertion. And you left points off your half by half analysis. Of the 52 season points, 25 of them, or nearly half, we scored after the game's outcome was clearly decided. Unlike OU, which like to pour it on until the final tick to impress voters, Mizzou plays their backups so they can get better.

Well, the stats directly support the part I quoted from you. The quote in question did not mention Furman at all, therefore I brought in the entire non-con.

And I'm confused by your whole discussion on points. Of the 52 season points? I assume you mean the 52 points you scored against Furman, because MU has given up more than 52 points total thus far. But even if that is what you are talking about, that is not what I was discussing in my post at all. I was discussing defensive numbers and 1st team vs. 2nd team defense. So I didn't really "leave" points off my analysis, because offense wasn't part of my analysis in any way.

Sorry, I meant 62. If your entire post is about your starter allowing, on average, maybe a TD more than your starters allowed against the supposed "cupcakes" of our respective schedules, I'll take that, because our "cupcakes" are a bit better IMHO. Our "cupcakes" include a mid-level BCS conference team and a team that just posted close to 800 yards of offense yesterday. The only human poll I know that ranks every team agrees with me.

Unless of course you equate stopping Florida Atlantic to stopping Juice Williams, Arrellious Benn and Jared Fayson. Or perhaps I missed the game where your best cupcake, Arkansas State, posted 500 yards rushing?

Our "best" cupcake almost beat a pretty good Iowa team yesterday, in a game that came down to the final minutes. A team we beat 38-9, which says something.

And is this the same Juice Williams that has been sacked 10 times, thrown 4 interceptions, 1 touchdown pass, and is completing just around 57% of his passes? The same Juice Williams that only generates 129.8 yards of offense per game? Sounds like a world-beater...

And those two guys are WR's right? At least they are according to the Illinois website. These two guys aren't even listed in the top 25 WR's in the Big 10 according to rivals...

Let's not even start with who's cupcakes are worse. Just look at Bowling Green..they are 1-4, lost to Marshall by a touchdown ( a team VaTech made look like a high school team ) and got absolutely trounced by Boise State, and yet MU only beat them by 10 during a very close game. There are a million reasons as to why we could go back and forth between who's non-con and cupcakes were worse. The argument is too circular.

Yes, nice breakdown, and it seems after the Miami win that as you pointed out VT is even better than we may have imagined..

The kicking game will be very interesting. MU has the stats as well as we do.

As for QB I would take Zac Lee over most of th QBs we will play. He may prove me wrong, but I suspect Lee will be very famous by Dec 5 Big 12 Championship day.

Your post is very interesting. :clap

First off I would like to say I didn't actually watch any of the Missouri games, these are merely observations from looking purely at statistics:

Opponents: (In order of best to worst)

Nebraska Missouri

Va. Tech 3-1 Illinois (1-2) tied with Nevada (0-3) can't really tell

Louisiana-Lafayette 2-2 Bowling Green (1-3) Beat Troy

Arkansas State 1-2 (Lost to Troy) Furman (3-1)

Florida Atlantic 0-3

This is purely my opinion on each team, you may have differing opinions.

Va. Tech is easily the best team either of us has played. I'm sure they could easily lay the wood to Illinois or Nevada. I'm sure Louisiana-Lafayette wouldn't be able to take Illinois or Nevada, but Bowling Green would be a good game. Bowling Green is better than both Arkansas State and Florida Atlantics, and no doubt Furman is the worst. What does this tell us? Not much. If anything my Nebraska views would give us the edge in SOS so far.

Lets compare Arkansas State and Bowling Green.

Arkansas State lost to Troy 30-27

Bowling Green beat Troy 31-14

The only thing we can take from this is Nebraska beat Arkansas State like a drum, the same team that almost beat Troy. Missouri had a hard time beating a Bowling Green team who was losing to Troy until a third through the 4th quarter.

Deduction: Nebraska beat our 3rd best team handily and you had a hard time beating your 3rd best team. Take it for what its worth.

Nebraska took Va Tech to the 4th quarter and almost won, but we lost. Everyone is always saying how Va. Tech isn't that good of a team because they can't pass the ball. Well, I say they are a great team. By saying they are garbage cause they can't pass is total ignorance. Va. Tech has a very good defense, and some of the best special teams in the nation. Those phases count towards the game just as much as offense(although I know you Missouri fans love them some offense). Point being, we held Tech in check for almost all special teams except one play. So I would assume our special teams play is above average, how this factors into the game you can decide. We also put up 15 points against a very good defense, a defense we ran all over. So for reasonings sake, I would assume we would put up atleast 15 on Missouri, and we run the ball very effectively against you. Zac Lee struggled against Va. Tech. But I dont see him struggling more than that against Missouri. I think he has a decent game. What do we gain from this? Nebraska scores more than 15, and most likely Missouri scores less than 35. You have played bad defenses, Nebraska is definitely a step up.

Run Game:

Nebraska Wins, quite handily I would assume.

Pass Game:

Missouri Wins, but not as handily as we win the run.

Special Teams:

Nebraska Wins, we have a better kicker. Correction, two better kickers.

Conclusion: Nebraska Wins

We win two phases of the game and lose the passing game. Our passing game is not as good as yours, but its not terrible. Our running game is way better than yours, I think its easy to see that. We have one of the best field goal kickers in the nation, and he isn't too shabby of a punter either. Kunalic is good for touchbacks about 50% of the time taking away your return game.

I want to go more in depth, but I have class to get too. Maybe later.

That's an incomplete analysis at best. First, I specifically referenced, Furman, and those stats directly support my assertion. And you left points off your half by half analysis. Of the 52 season points, 25 of them, or nearly half, we scored after the game's outcome was clearly decided. Unlike OU, which like to pour it on until the final tick to impress voters, Mizzou plays their backups so they can get better.

Well, the stats directly support the part I quoted from you. The quote in question did not mention Furman at all, therefore I brought in the entire non-con.

And I'm confused by your whole discussion on points. Of the 52 season points? I assume you mean the 52 points you scored against Furman, because MU has given up more than 52 points total thus far. But even if that is what you are talking about, that is not what I was discussing in my post at all. I was discussing defensive numbers and 1st team vs. 2nd team defense. So I didn't really "leave" points off my analysis, because offense wasn't part of my analysis in any way.

Sorry, I meant 62. If your entire post is about your starter allowing, on average, maybe a TD more than your starters allowed against the supposed "cupcakes" of our respective schedules, I'll take that, because our "cupcakes" are a bit better IMHO. Our "cupcakes" include a mid-level BCS conference team and a team that just posted close to 800 yards of offense yesterday. The only human poll I know that ranks every team agrees with me.

Unless of course you equate stopping Florida Atlantic to stopping Juice Williams, Arrellious Benn and Jared Fayson. Or perhaps I missed the game where your best cupcake, Arkansas State, posted 500 yards rushing?

Our "best" cupcake almost beat a pretty good Iowa team yesterday, in a game that came down to the final minutes. A team we beat 38-9, which says something.

And is this the same Juice Williams that has been sacked 10 times, thrown 4 interceptions, 1 touchdown pass, and is completing just around 57% of his passes? The same Juice Williams that only generates 129.8 yards of offense per game? Sounds like a world-beater...

And those two guys are WR's right? At least they are according to the Illinois website. These two guys aren't even listed in the top 25 WR's in the Big 10 according to rivals...

Let's not even start with who's cupcakes are worse. Just look at Bowling Green..they are 1-4, lost to Marshall by a touchdown ( a team VaTech made look like a high school team ) and got absolutely trounced by Boise State, and yet MU only beat them by 10 during a very close game. There are a million reasons as to why we could go back and forth between who's non-con and cupcakes were worse. The argument is too circular.

No, it's pretty much you just refusing to accept reality. Tell me, which player have you faced that led a BCS conference in total offense? Which team have you beaten capable of putting up 773 yards?

And if you don't even know who Benn and Fayson are, how can you be taken seriously? Benn is in the conversation as the best receiver in the country, and Fayson is a Florida transfer that Urban Meyer says he wishes would have stayed, because he had a chance to be their top target. He'd be the best receiver on about 100 teams.

No, it's pretty much you just refusing to accept reality. Tell me, which player have you faced that led a BCS conference in total offense? Which team have you beaten capable of putting up 773 yards?

And if you don't even know who Benn and Fayson are, how can you be taken seriously? Benn is in the conversation as the best receiver in the country, and Fayson is a Florida transfer that Urban Meyer says he wishes would have stayed, because he had a chance to be their top target. He'd be the best receiver on about 100 teams.

Who are you even talking about? Juice Williams? Who did he (or whoever you are talking about) put up 773 yards on? A bottom feeder?

And since we are going to get personal...

What reality am I refusing to accept, exactly? Your reality? The numbers obviously don't support that. The reality, friend, is that Williams numbers are atrocious, yet when confronted with the facts you don't accept it or even consider it. Apparently because he faced Missouri, he's good.

Who are Benn and Fayson? Is Benn the guy who is only in the top 15 (in the Big 10 mind you) in longest receptions, and isn't sniffing the top 15 in any other category?

Is Fayson the guy who is has 11 catches for 119 yards through four games, and isn't in the top 25 in ANY category? The same guy who has 1 touchdown catch in four games?

So far, these guys aren't having big impacts in any way shape or form.

How can you be taken seriously, when you never directly confront the facts when somebody shows them to you? Some of your thoughts are bordering on plain ignorance. You are dipping and diving around my posts and coming up with things that have little if anything to do with what I'm talking about. I'm not trying to be rude or insulting, but those are Juice's numbers through four games. How can you say he has anything to brag about, or that Mizzou has anything to brag about?

Who are you even talking about? Juice Williams? Who did he (or whoever you are talking about) put up 773 yards on? A bottom feeder?

What reality am I refusing to accept, exactly? Your reality? The numbers obviously don't support that. The reality, friend, is that Williams numbers are atrocious, yet when confronted with the facts you don't accept it or even consider it. Apparently because he faced Missouri, he's good.

Who are Benn and Fayson? Is Benn the guy who is only in the top 15 (in the Big 10 mind you) in longest receptions, and isn't sniffing the top 15 in any other category?

Is Fayson the guy who is has 11 catches for 119 yards through four games, and isn't in the top 25 in ANY category? The same guy who has 1 touchdown catch in four games?

How can you be taken seriously, when you never directly confront the facts when somebody shows them to you? Some of your thoughts are bordering on plain ignorance. You are dipping and diving around my posts and coming up with things that have little if anything to do with what I'm talking about. I'm not trying to be rude or insulting, but those are Juice's numbers through four games. How can you say he has anything to brag about, or that Mizzou has anything to brag about?

He failed to mention that Benn was injured in the 1st quarter against Mizzou and did not return. So Mizzou didn't really face Benn either.

Juice has faced 3 top 25 offenses in 4 games, and two of them are in the top 6. The fact remains, he is a very dangerous player, and led the Big 10 in total offense last year. Those a facts. We've got 3.5 years of evidence to know just how good Juice is, and the answer is: pretty good. But you want to throw all of that away because of 4 games this year?

At least that's got some kind of flimsy argument behind it though. When you say Benn isn't a top receiver, you just lose all credibility on the subject. The top 3 links that come up on Google for 2010 mock draft all show him as a first rounder. 2 of them have him the second WR taken in the draft, and the most credible, Sports Illustrated, has him listed as a top 10 pick. So yeah, he's not one of the top 15 receivers in the Big 10. Whatever. Fayson won't be coming out this year, but he's a sure draft pick when he does. CollegeFootballNews called this the best WR corps in the Big Ten and one of the best in the country.

As for "whatever" team put up 773 yards. Umm, it was Nevada. I told you they were clicking and better than their record, and said as evidence watch the Mizzou game tape, but nobody wanted to listen to me. They saw 0-3 and looked no further. Not that it matters, but they did it against 2-2 UNLV, which has dropped 2 games by a combined 5 points, including to Oregon State. I'm not trying to say they're a good team, only that they're not Florida Atlantic either. And like I said, it doesn't matter. 773 yards is beyond recognition. That's about 100 yards better than the next best ass whooping any top 5 team has laid on even an FCS squad. Are any of your opponents capable of doing that?

So much stuff to read, it hurts my head.

Look this is only stat im concerned about right now.

Mizzou - Rush Def is rank 61st and Pass Def is 68th

Nebraska - Rush Def is rank 35th and Pass Def is 23rd

Its going to be a great game. Gabbert is going to get picked off for the first time this season, im betting on that. My thinking is he will throw 2, maybe a 3 INT's in this game. Im also predicting 3-5 sacks for Gabbert.

I think our D-Line will hold Mizzou under 75yds rushing, and our secondary will hold them under 150yds passing.

Juice has faced 3 top 25 offenses in 4 games, and two of them are in the top 6. The fact remains, he is a very dangerous player, and led the Big 10 in total offense last year. Those a facts. We've got 3.5 years of evidence to know just how good Juice is, and the answer is: pretty good. But you want to throw all of that away because of 4 games this year?

At least that's got some kind of flimsy argument behind it though. When you say Benn isn't a top receiver, you just lose all credibility on the subject. The top 3 links that come up on Google for 2010 mock draft all show him as a first rounder. 2 of them have him the second WR taken in the draft, and the most credible, Sports Illustrated, has him listed as a top 10 pick. So yeah, he's not one of the top 15 receivers in the Big 10. Whatever. Fayson won't be coming out this year, but he's a sure draft pick when he does. CollegeFootballNews called this the best WR corps in the Big Ten and one of the best in the country.

As for "whatever" team put up 773 yards. Umm, it was Nevada. I told you they were clicking and better than their record, and said as evidence watch the Mizzou game tape, but nobody wanted to listen to me. They saw 0-3 and looked no further. Not that it matters, but they did it against 2-2 UNLV, which has dropped 2 games by a combined 5 points, including to Oregon State. I'm not trying to say they're a good team, only that they're not Florida Atlantic either. And like I said, it doesn't matter. 773 yards is beyond recognition. That's about 100 yards better than the next best ass whooping any top 5 team has laid on even an FCS squad. Are any of your opponents capable of doing that?

And around and around the circle we go...

The simple point I'm making is that none of these players you are revering have produced anything worth bragging about thus far in the season. Juice's numbers are bad and so are Benn's and Fayson's. It is rather irrelevant that Benn is on a mock 2010 draft board. If he continues on his current pace, he will be a late round draft pick at best. It is laughable to even consider this tandem is a forced to be reckoned with at this time in the season, considering their production.

That said, you are only as good as your team will let you be, and considering Illinois is bad at a lot of positions, this makes these guys look bad.

But, you misread my post. I said that Benn was not in the top categories in the Big 10. I did not say he wasn't good. I said, and I quote, "these guys aren't having big impacts in any way shape or form." You may take that as me calling them bad, but you are mistaken. I am saying these guys are not performing in a way that gives credence to any of your opinions on them. These guys may have been good at one time, but right now they are licking the bottom of the barrel.

I'm finished discussing our cupcakes with you, because there is just no logical way to converse with you about this topic.

The simple point I'm making is that none of these players you are revering have produced anything worth bragging about thus far in the season. Juice's numbers are bad and so are Benn's and Fayson's. It is rather irrelevant that Benn is on a mock 2010 draft board. If he continues on his current pace, he will be a late round draft pick at best. It is laughable to even consider this tandem is a forced to be reckoned with at this time in the season, considering their production.

That said, you are only as good as your team will let you be, and considering Illinois is bad at a lot of positions, this makes these guys look bad.

But, you misread my post. I said that Benn was not in the top categories in the Big 10. I did not say he wasn't good. I said, and I quote, "these guys aren't having big impacts in any way shape or form." You may take that as me calling them bad, but you are mistaken. I am saying these guys are not performing in a way that gives credence to any of your opinions on them. These guys may have been good at one time, but right now they are licking the bottom of the barrel.

I'm finished discussing our cupcakes with you, because there is just no logical way to converse with you about this topic.

You say "I did not say he wan't good" and then go on to say "these guys may have been good at one time, but right now they are licking the bottom of the barrel." Which is it? The fact is that Mizzou has faced some talent and some playmakers and done pretty well.

You say "I did not say he wan't good" and then go on to say "these guys may have been good at one time, but right now they are licking the bottom of the barrel." Which is it? The fact is that Mizzou has faced some talent and some playmakers and done pretty well.

Did you read his post? He's distinguishing between opinion about how good they are (your stance) and what they have actually accomplished (stats). Not sure it can be made any clearer.

Here, I'll provide context clues for you:

These guys (Williams, Benn, and Fayson) may have been good at one time (previous years), but right now (the 2009 season) they are licking (licking) the bottom of the barrel (You know, the bottom of a barrel, meaning, they aren't playing well).

Saying somebody isn't playing well does not mean they aren't good, it means they aren't playing well. All great players have bad games, if they didn't football wouldn't be as fun.

Regardless of what you may have inferred, I am not saying Mizzou hasn't faced some talent. I'm saying you are putting them (including the other cupcake teams) on a pedestal they are undeserving of at this point in the season.

I'm personally not putting our cupcake teams any where other than where they belong. The broad point I am trying to get through is that our cupcake non-cons are so similar that it is futile to argue over which better. I will find 1,000,000 reasons as to why I think you are wrong, and you will attempt to do the same to me. There is nothing wrong with using non-con as a gauging, but it appears at times you are taking it to levels it is unworthy of.

Did you read his post? He's distinguishing between opinion about how good they are (your stance) and what they have actually accomplished (stats). Not sure it can be made any clearer.

Thank you. If I could kiss you right now, I would.

No homo.

You're welcome. I hate drive-by posts where the poster obviously didn't read and comprehend what he's replying to.

Its going to be a great game. Gabbert is going to get picked off for the first time this season, im betting on that. My thinking is he will throw 2, maybe a 3 INT's in this game. Im also predicting 3-5 sacks for Gabbert.

I think our D-Line will hold Mizzou under 75yds rushing, and our secondary will hold them under 150yds passing.

You are betting on that? I'll take that bet. What do you say... $100? I'll wager you $100 that Gabbert does not throw 2 Ints, $150 that he won't throw 3.

Go ahead and back down now because I know you aren't going to put your money where your mouth is on this one. Blaine is going to throw some interceptions this year, but I doubt very much its going to be 2-3 in one game, and certainly not against NU. In fact I'm thinking you are going to see a LOT of very short 7 yard patterns, screen plays, etc. I would be very surprised to see us pass over the middle and even more surprised to see us take more than 1 or 2 shots down the field, and if they are that WR is going to be wide open.

If you had even watched any of our games thus far you would realize all of this. Blaine hasn't been intercepted for 2 reasons. 1. Our passing attack is predicated on the short game. 2. Yes a couple of defenders have indeed missed 3 real opportunities to intercept poorly thrown balls.

You think NU's defense is going to hold MU to 225 yards of total offense? Are you really a football fan? Have you even watched NU play this year? Mizzou is not ULL, they will put up yards and they will put up points. The final score of the game however could go either way.

Here, I'll provide context clues for you:

These guys (Williams, Benn, and Fayson) may have been good at one time (previous years), but right now (the 2009 season) they are licking (licking) the bottom of the barrel (You know, the bottom of a barrel, meaning, they aren't playing well).

Saying somebody isn't playing well does not mean they aren't good, it means they aren't playing well. All great players have bad games, if they didn't football wouldn't be as fun.

Regardless of what you may have inferred, I am not saying Mizzou hasn't faced some talent. I'm saying you are putting them (including the other cupcake teams) on a pedestal they are undeserving of at this point in the season.

I'm personally not putting our cupcake teams any where other than where they belong. The broad point I am trying to get through is that our cupcake non-cons are so similar that it is futile to argue over which better. I will find 1,000,000 reasons as to why I think you are wrong, and you will attempt to do the same to me. There is nothing wrong with using non-con as a gauging, but it appears at times you are taking it to levels it is unworthy of.

IF you were right, maybe not playing well has something to do with who they've played and who is around them. I think it's funny you admit that we've faced some talent, but then go on to say that our "cupcakes" are basically indistinguishable. Your sole claim to fame is that Arkansas State made a game against a Big 10 team look somewhat close with a late score. This is the same team that lost at home to Troy mind you. The same Troy that BG beat on the road. Oh yeah, powerhouses.

So I ask you again. Which of your cupcakes is a mid level BCS conference team? Which of them has a player capable of leading a BCS conference in total yards, or has a first round draft pick, or the equivalent of the top unit in a BCS conference at any position? Which of your cupcakes is capable of putting up 773 yards on anyone? The fact is that Nevada and Illinois are way better than anyone you've beaten, and BG is about as good.

The "pedestal" I'm putting them on is simply defending them from the "cupcake" charge you seem to want to throw around. They are obviously not cupcakes, and both were good enough to teach us about ourselves.