The National Championshp stolen by refs

Twodocs

I think Blackledge (I think that was the receiver) may have barely gotten his foot in. Refs might not have cost us games, but they sure as hell made it a lot harder to win.

Todd Blackledge was the QB who later admited that the guy was out of bounds. Todays replay technology and thats turnedover. <_<

Do you think the refs have gotten better over the years?

This play was brought up by Murtaugh on the Legends show on WOW? 590 am this am.

http://www.legendsradioshow.com/

Good show. This station is a strong signal and can be heard for a long distance every Sat morning I highly recommend if you can get it tune in. It may be streamed as well.

:wtf:wacko::angry:<_<

Stop. Please, just stop. "The refs stole the game!" Don't blame the refs. Please. They don't take or steal anything from anyone. Short of an official taking a bribe from a team or intentionally blowing calls in favor of one team, refs don't cost anyone anything. So please, just stop.

Sorry, but I have to disagree with you! All of us can think of many BAD! calls by refs over the years that have hurt many teams that should have won a game in any sport. Since we are talking about Nebraska, here are a few.

1. How about Texas in 03 (When Pelini was Defensive coach) we wouldn't have won the game. But, there was a catch we clearly made that was ruled incomplete.

2. As shown earlier, the Pen. St. game were the sideline seemed to grow about three feet so the catch that was clearly out of bounds was ruled good?

3. Also the 94 Orange Bowl, (93 season) there were two bad calls. A. the supposed illegal clipping call that no one has been able to ever find that cost us a touchdown. B. The fumble at the One yard line by Florida St. that we recovered and the refs ruled a touchdown for them.

So, yes refs are human but they can and do make some extremely bad calls that have hurt many teams in the past.

Yes, they make bad calls. But please, stop with the "they stole this" or "we got robbed by the refs". And even a single horrible call is but one play out of more than 100 in a given game. Blaming the refs is petty and childish. Besides, I can think of a few plays to offset the examples you gave where the blown call was in our favor. When that happens, you don't often hear Nebraska fans saying, "Thank God the refs were on our side and stole that game for us."

I will fully agree we have had some bad calls that have favored us. Also, I don't believe most ref's do it on purpose so as to cost any one team a game. My only point is that they have cost teams a game in the past do to some very rediculous calls. Thankfully, now we have instant replay to overcome mistakes. By the way, isn't that why we have instant replay, because the NFL or the NCAA or who ever has realized that human error has cost teams games that should have won?

You mean like the human error of a guy dropping a pass?

The '94 Orange Bowl was lost when a 40-some yard field goal was missed. Nebraska also let FSU drive down the field in the last 2 minutes. The Penn St. game that started this thread was lost when Penn St. scored AFTER the play in the video. How many 3rd downs in that game did Nebraska miss? How many times could they have won without giving the refs a chance to miss a call?

Again let me make this perfectly clear: referees do NOT "cost teams games"!

I DO NOT DISAGREE WITH YOU! At least on your point that ref's don't do it on purpose. Seems like you are so hell bent on proving your point that you don't actually read my posts. But, all I am saying is that bad calls have costs us and other teams games many times. To deny that is pretty blind, again I don't think it is done on PURPOSE!

My initial response to your first post wasn't necessarily directed specifically at you, but at people in general who think refs "stole the game from us". You then responded that ref's "cost us the game", which you reiterated multiple times, and I replied that no, the play of the team cost them the game. You then called me blind for thinking otherwise.

I have read every word of your posts. What have I said that makes you think I missed something?

My point was that UNLESS done on purpose, refs don't cost teams games. You have stated otherwise. So I think we do disagree.

This play was brought up by Murtaugh on the Legends show on WOW? 590 am this am.

Good show. This station is a strong signal and can be heard for a long distance every Sat morning I highly recommend if you can get it tune in. It may be streamed as well.

Stop. Please, just stop. "The refs stole the game!" Don't blame the refs. Please. They don't take or steal anything from anyone. Short of an official taking a bribe from a team or intentionally blowing calls in favor of one team, refs don't cost anyone anything. So please, just stop.

Sorry, but I have to disagree with you! All of us can think of many BAD! calls by refs over the years that have hurt many teams that should have won a game in any sport. Since we are talking about Nebraska, here are a few.

1. How about Texas in 03 (When Pelini was Defensive coach) we wouldn't have won the game. But, there was a catch we clearly made that was ruled incomplete.

2. As shown earlier, the Pen. St. game were the sideline seemed to grow about three feet so the catch that was clearly out of bounds was ruled good?

3. Also the 94 Orange Bowl, (93 season) there were two bad calls. A. the supposed illegal clipping call that no one has been able to ever find that cost us a touchdown. B. The fumble at the One yard line by Florida St. that we recovered and the refs ruled a touchdown for them.

So, yes refs are human but they can and do make some extremely bad calls that have hurt many teams in the past.

Yes, they make bad calls. But please, stop with the "they stole this" or "we got robbed by the refs". And even a single horrible call is but one play out of more than 100 in a given game. Blaming the refs is petty and childish. Besides, I can think of a few plays to offset the examples you gave where the blown call was in our favor. When that happens, you don't often hear Nebraska fans saying, "Thank God the refs were on our side and stole that game for us."

I will fully agree we have had some bad calls that have favored us. Also, I don't believe most ref's do it on purpose so as to cost any one team a game. My only point is that they have cost teams a game in the past do to some very rediculous calls. Thankfully, now we have instant replay to overcome mistakes. By the way, isn't that why we have instant replay, because the NFL or the NCAA or who ever has realized that human error has cost teams games that should have won?

The '94 Orange Bowl was lost when a 40-some yard field goal was missed. Nebraska also let FSU drive down the field in the last 2 minutes. The Penn St. game that started this thread was lost when Penn St. scored AFTER the play in the video. How many 3rd downs in that game did Nebraska miss? How many times could they have won without giving the refs a chance to miss a call?

I DO NOT DISAGREE WITH YOU! At least on your point that ref's don't do it on purpose. Seems like you are so hell bent on proving your point that you don't actually read my posts. But, all I am saying is that bad calls have costs us and other teams games many times. To deny that is pretty blind, again I don't think it is done on PURPOSE!

My initial response to your first post wasn't necessarily directed specifically at you, but at people in general who think refs "stole the game from us". You then responded that ref's "cost us the game", which you reiterated multiple times, and I replied that no, the play of the team cost them the game. You then called me blind for thinking otherwise.

I have read every word of your posts. What have I said that makes you think I missed something?

My point was that UNLESS done on purpose, refs don't cost teams games. You have stated otherwise. So I think we do disagree.

WOW, kind of find this funny now! Whether it is done on purpose or not, it still costs a team the game. The 94 orange bowl is a great example. The two bad calls I mentioned earlier caused a 14 POINT swing in Florida St. favor. Nebraska did EVERTHING THEY COULD to win that game, they played AWESOME! Take out those bad calls and the Huskers don't have to kick the field goal at the end to try and win. We lost that game by only two points, so YES those bad calls cost us the win and a National Championship. To say that because it wasn't intentional it didn't cost us the game is the craziest thing I have ever heard. What I was saying is I do agree that it isn't done on purpose, they are human and can easily make mistakes. But, done on purpose or not, it still very much can effect the outcome of a game, PERIOD!

WWWAAAAHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LOL!!! But hey, we did get a good one when Matt Davidson caught a off the footer!!! Remember that one it was such a happy moment!

I think it was a night game at Missouri! No big deal!

Hey, we beat MISSOURI ALL THE TIME

Sweet too, we got a National Championship on that one!

and then there was the extra down play! waaah

WWWAAAAHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LOL!!! But hey, we did get a good one when Matt Davidson caught a off the footer!!! Remember that one it was such a happy moment!

I think it was a night game at Missouri! No big deal!

Hey, we beat MISSOURI ALL THE TIME

Sweet too, we got a National Championship on that one!

and then there was the extra down play! waaah

I've let those go. It's 2009.

Actually, the guy didn't catch the touchdown pass either. The ball was trapped as the photo in the journal star proved the next day. The receiver's hands were up by his chest and the ball was on the ground under his stomach. Doesn't matter now. Just thought I'd point it out.

Actually, the guy didn't catch the touchdown pass either. The ball was trapped as the photo in the journal star proved the next day. The receiver's hands were up by his chest and the ball was on the ground under his stomach. Doesn't matter now. Just thought I'd point it out.

Just had to get in on this. I never thought refs would ever cheat. I have a different view on that now. I guess your always going to get a bad one once in awhile. About that call against Penn ST, that was a bad call, I thought, till it happened to Alabama against Penn ST in the back of the end zone [ 3yds past end line] and the same ref called that one a catch and cost Ala the game. To top it off he was from Philadelphia and was not brought back to ref any more game after that season. Lets just say he was asked to "retire". That ref was a cheat, period. Does that happen few and far between, yes it does, and can refs cost us and others games, yes they can.

GBR!!!

why can't you have a coach in his post game analysis discuss the refs! They are not Gods and they need feedback. They can cost you a game and not be criiticized. This rule has gone on too long! We have booth review We need public critcism when the refs blow a game, especially post game by coaches!

The two illegal procedures calls that ended up with NU punting on 4th and goal was wrong according to the Big 12. Those calls cost us the game! How many have heard that the Big Twelve said the refs were wrong? They did!

why can't you have a coach in his post game analysis discuss the refs! They are not Gods and they need feedback. They can cost you a game and not be criiticized. This rule has gone on too long! We have booth review We need public critcism when the refs blow a game, especially post game by coaches!

The two illegal procedures calls that ended up with NU punting on 4th and goal was wrong according to the Big 12. Those calls cost us the game! How many have heard that the Big Twelve said the refs were wrong? They did!

Do you have a link for where the said the calls were wrong? Not disputing it, I'd just like to see it. And it sounds like they didn't say anything about the dropped pass call in the end zone that some of you are so positive was a catch?

The refs do get feedback from the coaches. It just isn't made public. I don't think post game, while the coaches are still very emotional, and before they've reviewed film, is a good time for them to criticize the refs. Afterwards, I guess I don't really care. The players and coaches make plenty of errors, do you really expect the refs to be perfect? If you're going to run out every ref who makes a mistake, you're going to be down to middle school refs by the end of the year.

And why do we need it? Mangino was very blunt a few years ago when a couple bad calls late went against Kansas to Texas. He basically accused the refs of throwing the game for Texas because it would help the conference (more revenue) if Texas stayed unbeaten. Did that change anything? Doesn't seem like it.

Do you have a link for where the said the calls were wrong? Not disputing it, I'd just like to see it. And it sounds like they didn't say anything about the dropped pass call in the end zone that some of you are so positive was a catch?

The refs do get feedback from the coaches. It just isn't made public. I don't think post game, while the coaches are still very emotional, and before they've reviewed film, is a good time for them to criticize the refs. Afterwards, I guess I don't really care. The players and coaches make plenty of errors, do you really expect the refs to be perfect? If you're going to run out every ref who makes a mistake, you're going to be down to middle school refs by the end of the year.

And why do we need it? Mangino was very blunt a few years ago when a couple bad calls late went against Kansas to Texas. He basically accused the refs of throwing the game for Texas because it would help the conference (more revenue) if Texas stayed unbeaten. Did that change anything? Doesn't seem like it.

How about years ago the FIVE downs Colorado got to beat Mizzu. Oh, I'm sorry, the ref's didn't do it on purpose so no way did that happen to cost Mizzu the game since they did stop them for four of them! Oh yeah, there only supposed to get four downs, but again it was an accident so it didn't cost Mizzu the game at all. :LOLtartar