CFN's Prediction

CFN.com

Nebraska (3-1) at Missouri (4-0), 9:00 EST, Thursday, October 8, ESPN

Why to watch: The season might be close to half over, but does anyone really know what type of a team Missouri is? This was supposed to be a year of transition and turmoil after losing so many key players off the offense, but the defense has been better, the offense has rocked without losing a beat, and the special teams, in some ways, is among the best in America. It’s been an inconsistent team, getting pushed at home by a bad Bowling Green, and the big wins aren’t that big a deal, blasting an overrated Illinois to start the year and beating Nevada in Reno, and now it’s time to see if the team is for real. There’s a good chance that Missouri is for real and is good enough to win the Big 12 North title for a third straight year, and it still might not matter.

The Tigers might be good, and Nebraska might be a lot better. The Huskers should be 4-0, but they couldn’t turn decent drives against Virginia Tech into touchdowns, settling for five field goals, and the defense allowed two miracle throws to lose. The three wins came against Sun Belt teams, and even though Florida Atlantic, Arkansas State, and Louisiana-Lafayette are considered among the best in their league, you’ll have to forgive a skeptical college football world for its collective yawn. Nebraska has a nice, efficient offense, a strong defense that leads the nation in points allowed, and doesn’t have a major weakness to worry about. But a win in Columbia is a must or else it’s going to be a rough climb to win the Big 12 title. This might not be Oklahoma vs. Texas, and Kansas is certain to be a factor in the North race, but this is as close to a conference playoff game as it gets so early in the league’s season. Missouri is still the division champion, Nebraska is trying to take the next step forward to becoming Nebraska again, and it should all make for a dramatic and entertaining battle on national TV.

Why Nebraska might win: The front four should get to Mizzou QB Blaine Gabbert. The Tigers haven’t faced a pass rush with any teeth, considering Illinois has been miserable and Nevada’s tremendous sack artists of last year have failed to show up yet this season. That will change this week as the offense will get hit with pressure from inside and out as Nebraska will get creative to hurry the young passer. Gabbert has been great on the move and he has proven he can handle himself well in pressure situations, but he hasn’t had to get smacked around on every other play, and the Bo Pelini defense will try to do just that.

Why Missouri might win: Nebraska, welcome to a passing game. The Huskers had one of the nation’s best pass rushes last year, finishing 14th in the nation in sacks, but they finished 89th in the nation in pass defense and 82nd in pass efficiency defense. This year, the secondary has been fine on paper, but it hasn’t faced anyone who can throw a forward pass, and on the two plays the pass defense had to come through against Virginia Tech, it didn’t. To be fair, Hokie QB Tyrod Taylor made two extraordinary plays, but the secondary still has to prove itself. Also to be fair, Florida Atlantic’s Rusty Smith is a good veteran and Arkansas State’s Corey Leonard can play, but the Huskers haven’t faced a passing game like Mizzou’s.

Who to watch: Over the last ten games, Nebraska junior Roy Helu has been among the best backs in America, and you’ve probably never paid much attention to him or even heard of him. He was held to -1 yard in the bowl win over Clemson, but even with that clunker he has rushed for 973 yards and ten touchdowns, and he has caught 26 passes in ten games. He packs a nice punch and is quick enough to make thing happen when he gets into the open. He has run well against teams that aren’t supposed to give up much against the run, tearing off 157 yards against Oklahoma last year and 169 against Virginia Tech this season, and to settle the Husker offense into the rowdy environment, he’ll be the centerpiece of the attack … if he’s healthy. He was sick this week and missed practice time, but he’s expected to be ready to roll.

What will happen: Missouri has more firepower and has the ability to score quicker and from anywhere on the field better than Nebraska can, but the Huskers should be able to power away to keep control of the game, and QB Zac Lee should be ultra-efficient and should keep the chains moving. Missouri will have some impressive moments on offense, but there won’t be enough of them.

CFN Prediction: Nebraska 29 … Missouri 24 ... Line: Nebraska -3

Must See Rating: (A Serious Man 5 … Couples Retreat 1) … 4.5

God...I wont be able to focus in any classes today lol

Way ahead of you bro. I'm in accounting class right now. I refuse to pay attention today.

:yeah

Constitutional Law and the 11th Amendment are taking a backseat right now. (and later today Legal Ethics?! Isn't that an oxymoron anyways? :))

Yeah, it totally is.

Do they teach you to lie in that class?

God...I wont be able to focus in any classes today lol

Way ahead of you bro. I'm in accounting class right now. I refuse to pay attention today.

What accounting?? U @ the University? If it's 201....class BLOWS.. and Riley-Schultz doesnt do ANYTHING to make time pass better........damn 8am class t/r

DUDE.

I'm in the 11:00-12:15 class. This lady cannot teach. I just come to class in case she gives out points for showing up (like today).

This is the longest class of my day. Betty White drives me nuts.

Ok, so some people start drinking early for the Nebraska games, does this mean they're going to have to pace themselves so they don't pass out before the 8pm Kickoff?

I wonder how long the Cornhuskers get to sleep in before they start getting ready for the late game? I'm off work today and I'm glad because even though I'm having to find stuff to do to keep myself busy, at least I'm not having to try to keep my mind on work counting down the time. Husker fans are going to be rabid at 8pm.

They're gonna hear us in Missouri!

My school buddies.

This is why you are sitting through class.

I gratuated from UNL in 1994. I am a ERP Systems Consultant. I am working with a client on site and billing out $200 an hour and reading/writing on Huskerboard. Thats why you are in school. Hang in there-

Go Huskers