Outside the Lines

The full Turner Gill Outside the Lines segment just got done airing and one of the "experts" on there was asked why Nebraska didn't hire Pelini and the "expert" said that race played a factor and that he didn't buy Coach Osborne's "excuse" about hiring Pelini because the defense needed fixing. Wow just wow :dunno

The full Turner Gill Outside the Lines segment just got done airing and one of the "experts" on there was asked why Nebraska didn't hire Pelini and the "expert" said that race played a factor and that he didn't buy Coach Osborne's "excuse" about hiring Pelini because the defense needed fixing. Wow just wow :dunno

Out of curiosity, what evidence did this expert provide to back up this claim?

No evidence whatsoever. He stated that he thought that Osborne's "excuse" for not hiring Gill was the worst excuse he's ever heard and that race played a factor. I guess that having basically the worst defense in the country in 2007 shouldn't be the main factor in hiring the best defense coordinator in the nation as your next head coach.

No evidence whatsoever. He stated that he thought that Osborne's "excuse" for not hiring Gill was the worst excuse he's ever heard and that race played a factor. I guess that having basically the worst defense in the country in 2007 shouldn't be the main factor in hiring the best defense coordinator in the nation as your next head coach.

No evidence whatsoever.

Sounds slanderous to me... <_<

Anyway, this guy sounds like a complete tool box who needs to do a tad more research.

Sadly, there are a lot of people for whom this kind of thought is "evidence."

I would absolutely love to see Turner release a statement denouncing this kind of talk. It does not serve him any good.

Wow, I guess that "expert" doesn't know how close Turner and TO are.

I just watched the segment, they question Auburn passing over Gill as their Coach and Nebraska as well. The guy who is complaining is the Athletic Director of Buffalo University, not an expert. Turner also said that he doesn't think race was a factor in determining any of the jobs.

I believe Turner will Coach a "BCS Team," but it will be a Team that needs a Offensive Guru, not a defensive minded coach.

They are kind of not telling the other side as to how the tables have turned this year... Chizick and Auburn are off to a good start while Buffalo is not, do feel bad for Gill not getting his shot yet at a major university, but this whole things just sounds like the media stirring the punch bowl. The only sad thing is that there is such a clear divide in any major sport when you talk about coaching and race. :angry:

I watched that too, I thought it was funny when the "expert" on there said "Turner Gill led Nebraska to a national championship" while they were talking about his playing career at Nebraska. No one said anything to that either cause they didn't know if they had won a NC while TG played here or not. Just goes to show ESPN 'experts' don't really know what they are talking about.

Plus Bo Pelini looked like a better hire than Gill at that point since he had limited head coaching experience at Buffalo and hadn't won the conference championship. Any Husker fan knows its not race that kept Turner Gill from getting the job. We are more well informed on the coaching search than ESPN.