Outside the Lines

I watched that too, I thought it was funny when the "expert" on there said "Turner Gill led Nebraska to a national championship" while they were talking about his playing career at Nebraska. No one said anything to that either cause they didn't know if they had won a NC while TG played here or not. Just goes to show ESPN 'experts' don't really know what they are talking about.

Plus Bo Pelini looked like a better hire than Gill at that point since he had limited head coaching experience at Buffalo and hadn't won the conference championship. Any Husker fan knows its not race that kept Turner Gill from getting the job. We are more well informed on the coaching search than ESPN.

I think Bo was the right hire. You saying that Turner had limited experience as a hc at Buffalo, Bo had no hc experience, your point is not valid. I do not believe that race played a factor but we can not really sit here and comment on this since we do not know the thinking behind it because Nebraska overpaid for the consulting firm in Atlanta to do the search for them when other firms are just as qualified but the service that Nebraska choose did do about a $30,000 background check on all of the coaches that the group was interested in, since for some reason the athletic department could not do that on their own. Also when Tom decided he would be the interm AD at the time Damon Evans who was working in the Georgia athletic department may have had a bit of interest to return to his home state and take over as AD but for some reason Nebraska did not pursue Evans who is now the AD at Georgia who is also black.

Way off topic but not really

I watched that too, I thought it was funny when the "expert" on there said "Turner Gill led Nebraska to a national championship" while they were talking about his playing career at Nebraska. No one said anything to that either cause they didn't know if they had won a NC while TG played here or not. Just goes to show ESPN 'experts' don't really know what they are talking about.

Plus Bo Pelini looked like a better hire than Gill at that point since he had limited head coaching experience at Buffalo and hadn't won the conference championship. Any Husker fan knows its not race that kept Turner Gill from getting the job. We are more well informed on the coaching search than ESPN.

I think Bo was the right hire. You saying that Turner had limited experience as a hc at Buffalo, Bo had no hc experience, your point is not valid. I do not believe that race played a factor but we can not really sit here and comment on this since we do not know the thinking behind it because Nebraska overpaid for the consulting firm in Atlanta to do the search for them when other firms are just as qualified but the service that Nebraska choose did do about a $30,000 background check on all of the coaches that the group was interested in, since for some reason the athletic department could not do that on their own. Also when Tom decided he would be the interm AD at the time Damon Evans who was working in the Georgia athletic department may have had a bit of interest to return to his home state and take over as AD but for some reason Nebraska did not pursue Evans who is now the AD at Georgia who is also black.

:facepalm: Really? Come on now, there was some major healing to do in the Athletic Department. Who was better suited than TO to come in and fix an upside down culture?

what makes you think turner and doctor tom are close? osborne was only the best man at gill's wedding.

Clearly that's a cover for Dr. Tom's rampant racism.

This is what really hacks me off about this whole story. It is pretty obvious that this crew didn't really research anything, they should have known this.

what makes you think turner and doctor tom are close? osborne was only the best man at gill's wedding.

Clearly that's a cover for Dr. Tom's rampant racism.

This is what really hacks me off about this whole story. It is pretty obvious that this crew didn't really research anything, they should have known this.

I don't know, man. "What kind of relationship did you have with Tom Osborne, Turner?" That's not the kind of question you would normally ask a guy on whose behalf you're accusing one of college football's greatest coaches of racism, is it?

So Damon Evans would rather be the AD at a state he lived in for like 3 years as a small child than at this alma mater where he started on the football team for 2 years and earned a BBA and an MEd? Good logic...

There was a school that didn't hire Turner on the basis of race, but that was Auburn not Nebraska. That doesn't help their story though.

Exactly.

Does anybody honestly think we weren't going to give Gill the job because of race? For Christ's sake T.O. and Gill have a much deeper and richer connection/history than T.O. and Pelini do. If Gill was the better man for the job, he would have gotten the job. The fact remains, however, that Pelini is a proven defensive genius and has very few bumps on his defensive record. We needed his skills more than what Gill brought to the table.