Is Suh the best D player ever to come out of Nebraska?

Husker66

I have seen them all play, there is only one on the same level, and that was Rich Glover. He was our best defensive player ever, and in my mind Mr. Suh is overtaking him. I will not say he is at this time, I too want to see the rest of the season, but if it continous like it is now. He would get my vote over all the others by a land slide, no question.

We are seeing history in Mr Suh guys, he is very special and has little help around him and hardly any offense to keep him off the field and fresh.

What do you remember about Larry Jacobson?

I was in grade school when he played, and don't remember seeing him play..but he used to get a lot of mention when people were talking about "best ever".

There's much better tv coverage now, where you never used to even see linemen before..now with the better cameras and HD you can even see player's expressions and actually see QB's blow snot-bubbles after a great hit..

I'm impressed with Suh's "hand work" while fighting off blocks..he doesn't ever take plays off..

Good short article on him in this issue of HI. Outland Trophy and first team Academic All- American, Knute Rockne Award in 71.

I remember him being asked before the Orange Bowl as he sat around the pool, where they were staying, if he was worried about the game, and he just said "we will win it" period, end of interview lol...

He was big for that era, would probably be a little undersized today at the weight he played at then. Heck of a player, and was the d-line stopper then.

GBR!!!

Suh could end up as one of the best. Right now I would still go with Rich Glover.

Outland Winner

Lombardi Winner

2 Time Consensus All American

3rd in Heisman voting

Big Eight Defensive Player-of-the-Year

First team DT on S.I. All Century Team

22 Total Tackles vs OU's All American center in 1971 Game of Century

I would agree 100% with Winstrom 2nd. Suh would be third he has the Heart and Soul of a Husker and that shows this year. If he would have one more year here I would see about moving him up more but stat wise he would be 3rd on the chart.

let's see how he does the rest of the season, i'm not too confident i can claim him best D player at Nebraska, there have been too many good defensive players to count. Terrell Farley, Chris Kelsay, Kyle Vanden Bosch, Daniel Bullocks, Josh Bullocks, Demorrio Williams, anyone else want to add any. In my mind Suh right now would not be in the top3,4,5 best NU D players, maybe top 10,15. but to each his own, im just giving my opinion.

I have no argument whatsoever with your list, but since you asked if anyone wanted to add someone...

Mike Rucker, Mike Minter, Fabian Washington, Grant Wistrom, Christian Peter, John Parella, Neil Smith, Pat Fisher, Keyou Craver, Bret Clark, Rich Glover, Trev Alberts, Tom Novak, Michael Booker, Tyrone Williams....just to add a few (I realize there are more). But your list is a good one, and this is not to say that Suh is NOT better than any of them...it is just so hard to pick the BEST.

very true it will be very hard for anyone to get a top 3 or top 5 mention with the history of the blackshirts and such and all the dominant defenses we have had.

I put two thoughts together. Not knocking the defense, but the fact that the offense put them on the field alot. After reading it again, I apologize, no slap at our defense was intended.

Glover was not big for his time. He was considered quite small. Never really made it in the pros if I remember correctly, and the coments were he was too small.

We have had great defensive players, but normally on great teams.

This very well maybe a great team, but not the level of the ones Glover and the rest played on. Or at least initially thought.

I have never seen anyone player totally disrupt the game like he has the ability to do. And do it several times a game. Being a pass rusher, or defending a run, we have had quite a few, but I do not remember them knocking down multiple passes in a game, intercepting and running some back for TD's. It seems the more important the game, the better he plays. I still reserve the top player in Nebraska history being Glover, but if the pace Suh has started at continues, he will surpass him. The competition is much bigger, stronger and better conditioned now. Glover had the advantage with Nebraska and our strength program being so addvance at the time. Now all major programs have the the same type of training.

What could he have been if Bo had him form his first year. Bo has built two very impressive DL in Dorsey and Suh. That should be something we promote in recruiting.

No, he's not the best...just remember 3 SOLID years of Wistrom just absolutely wrecking havoc on every single freaking play...And i'm not sure even he is the best.

let's see how he does the rest of the season, i'm not too confident i can claim him best D player at Nebraska, there have been too many good defensive players to count. Terrell Farley, Chris Kelsay, Kyle Vanden Bosch, Daniel Bullocks, Josh Bullocks, Demorrio Williams, anyone else want to add any. In my mind Suh right now would not be in the top3,4,5 best NU D players, maybe top 10,15. but to each his own, im just giving my opinion.

I just had this conversation with a group of guys this past week. I said that I thought Suh was possibly the best "D-lineman" to ever play at NU. The guys argued their case, and I know all about the Wistroms, Peters, Tomich, Ruckers, etc....on and on and on........

My number one reason that I believe that Suh could "possibly" be the best D-lineman is the fact that he doesn't have the supporting cast around him that these other studs had...... Suh is flanked by a redshirt freshman DT, an average DE in Allen and another DE coming off of a broken leg. Let's not forget that the LB's behind him are the youngest in the Big 12......... The other guys I mentioned were surrounded by other NFL caliber players, in their "prime" at NU..... Suh is doing all of his stuff while being double teamed, and there are many other areas on the field to attack........ Put this guy on the teams of the 80-90's with the talent around him, and watch out....

Just my opinion.... and I am very old enough to not only remember those other guys, but also probably watched every game they played, so I am not just wearing the "rose colored Suh glasses".

Mike Brown: Best Blackshirt ever (thought I would throw that in).

Anyone ever hear of Rich Glover?????

* 1972 Lombardi Award Winner

* 1972 Outland Trophy Winner

Rich Glover Biography