TO talks about the option

Twodocs

Someone needs to tell Watson to put some option plays in the playbook. Lee has some wheels and him and Helu would be dangerous.

I could have sworn we ran some option plays against Mizzou as well as the other games this year. I know the one that Lee got blasted on was an option.

You are correct. We ran several options against Missouri, and a couple of other times this year.

I'd love to see a series or two with a three TE set where we run the Triple Option. This is a great team to do that against, too.

I think Nebraska is stuck in somewhat of an identity crisis. Are we going to continue to be a WCO or some sort of the Spread. I think we are becoming a combination. It seems Pelini would want us to become a spread offense that controls the clock and rely on our defense. However, Watson is in control of the offense but for how much longer...

This raises another question in recruiting the skill positions on offense. Right now i don't think we can compete with USC and orther WCO or pro-style offenses such as Alabama or ND for those positions and with Watson possibly or even the rumors that Watson will leave, what is our offensive identity going to be to bring in recruits.

I personally like the future with our offensive line... we are bringing in some studs that should allow us to be flexible in what ever we do.

There will be games where the other coach just prepares his defense well and you will lose. But if you truly have the superior team it does not matter what type of offense you use you will end up scoring. the only thing that the type of offense dictates is how the team is perceived. An option offense is probably viewed as more 'hard' or 'powerful' while a heavy dose of passing will have you labeled as 'soft' or finesse'. It really does not matter though since both can put up points in bunches with the right players.

Good option plays should be designed to go for a touchdown every time. Like TO said in the article averaging 7 yds per carry is pretty amazing. But like any offense you have to have the athletes and they have to know their assignments inside and out. That kind of offense is as much finesse as it is power, but it's a pretty cool combination.

On the other hand, a poor option offense is pitiful. There just aren't that many offensive minds like TO, Paul Johnson, or even Urb who can make it work.

Football is an easy game. All you have to do is outnumber the defense in a certain area of the field and you should be able to move the ball. There are many ways to do that.